MayNoWriMo - This time it's personal!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Cliff, it's technically still your birthday where I am for the next 16 hours... :tongue

Happy birthday. :)

~Amber~

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
That's great. I kind of have an idea for my June Camp story. I'm just kind of scared. :tongue I'm going to actually write a novel, novella at the latest, and I'm completely nervous. I've really mostly written short stories, and the longest I've written to date was a fan fiction--that was horrible by the way--a few years back which about 13K long. So, I'm quite nervous/jittery about it.

I felt the same way the first time I did Nano. I told everyone I knew I was doing it, and refused to give up. I reached my goal of 50K, but that novel is a huge mess. I'm still proud of it, and each year it's gotten less nerve wracking and more exciting. :D

And I know that some people are meant to be short fiction writers and some are meant to write novels then you have those people who can write both. However, I want to at least try writing a novel, and really, really try, before I tell myself that maybe I'm not meant to write those.

And even if you don't make it that doesn't mean you give up. You just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going. Some do well with a tight deadline while others flounder.

Luckily, my idea has some Fantasy elements in it. (My idea is a UF idea). So, maybe that will make things a bit easier on me.

My idea is UF as well. It involves a demonic chef and two demon hunters. I've tentatively titled it Green Beans and Potato Soup. So far the demonic chef is the main character. :D

What's yours about? (If you feel like sharing.)

I found out today, technically yesterday that I tend to write a genre better when I'm focused/currently reading/just read that genre.

I kinda stumbled onto writing Urban Fantasy. During Nano 2010 I was having one hell of a time getting anything written, so I started over. I had a blast and it was one of the easiest novels I've ever written. Before that, all I'd written was pure fantasy.

Well, it's either all of that or the fact that I kind of told myself to sit down and actually write. :tongue

Sometimes that's all it takes. I'd had enough of sitting around and thinking 'someday' and finally just did it. :D

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Practice presentation SUCKED. >.<

I didn't do bad, exactly, but... Well, I was in a kind of mental state in which I didn't allow myself to be nervous at all, and as a result of that I was almost completely unaware of everything I was doing and saying, and I ended up looking really nervous. :tongue Got a lot of feedback from the class--mostly A grades and a few B grades (I got an A overall), and I found pretty much everything I was told helpful.

Oh, and I apparently rambled for almost 20 minutes. :tongue at least I have the time part down... (minimum of 10 minutes, 15 for maximum points on the time part) I just have to work on the talking part a bit.

But hey, I get to relax and watch everyone else suffer in that class from now on. :D

~Amber~

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I felt the same way the first time I did Nano. I told everyone I knew I was doing it, and refused to give up. I reached my goal of 50K, but that novel is a huge mess. I'm still proud of it, and each year it's gotten less nerve wracking and more exciting. :D

Let's hope Camp is the same way for me then. Haha.

And even if you don't make it that doesn't mean you give up. You just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going. Some do well with a tight deadline while others flounder.
That's true.

My idea is UF as well. It involves a demonic chef and two demon hunters. I've tentatively titled it Green Beans and Potato Soup. So far the demonic chef is the main character. :D

What's yours about? (If you feel like sharing.)
My idea basically follows this OB-GYN who gets caught up in a "Shifter War". The werewolves are the more dominant/existent shifters in the area, and are slowly are trying to become the only ones in the area, if you get my drift. Their next biggest competition in the shifter arena are the panther-shifters. So, rather than start small and work up, they figured they'll wipe out all of the panther-shifter first. (Don't get confused though because they have gotten rid of some people/shifters, but their main focus are the panthers, if all of that makes sense). And the leader of the panther-shifters wife/mate is pregnant. So, you see how the OB-GYN gets involved now. Well, the werewolves try to attack her, in hopes of getting to the panthers, and it fails. The panthers end up saving her, and she ends up going with them to oversee the pregnancy and birth along with for her safety. Also she does know how to fight. Her parents were hunters, and trained both her and her sister. However, her sister became a hunter and she didn't. Also she's going to fall in love with one of the panther-shifters. :D And don't laugh, but her name is Ruby and her sister is Jade. I'm trying to come up with a good last time. So far the only one that seems "smooth" is Gold, but Ruby and Jade Gold seem to be pushing it in my opinion. Haha.

I kinda stumbled onto writing Urban Fantasy. During Nano 2010 I was having one hell of a time getting anything written, so I started over. I had a blast and it was one of the easiest novels I've ever written. Before that, all I'd written was pure fantasy.
I got into UF because I wanted something besides just romance to read. I think I wanted something that involved fantasy in modern day without necessarily having a huge romance/love component. Other than that, I can't remember how I cam across Urban Fantasy. I'm glad I did though. It's a fun genre. Don't get me wrong though, I still like my romance.

Sometimes that's all it takes. I'd had enough of sitting around and thinking 'someday' and finally just did it. :D
Yeah. :D

----
Almost got 3K done today. Yay. This short story is close to half way done.

Last edited:

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetigerseye.valentchamber.com
Well got work in a few hours, school is now officially over. Grades haven't come in yet but we'll see, I'm pretty confident in them :)

Oh and I too have an idea for June's Camp Nano. It's sort of like a Romantic Suspense.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be busy with Uni in June... 2 essays, lots of reading, and an exam in that month.

Today I have done, well, not much. Played guitar for a while, which is something I suppose. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what I've done.

Grocery shopping, going to the post office, eating and drinking coffee, smoking... It doesn't seem like I could've taken 8 hours just to do THAT.

*sigh*

Going to try to get something done... I still have to study for my test. I'm pretty confident for this test though. So far I've got 10/12 and 12/12 for the first 2 tests, and this 3rd one is mostly on logic, which I seem to understand well enough.

So I'm not really feeling the urgency to study right now... I still have time.

Maybe I should start reading a book for English? I've got 2 left to read before the semester's out.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Lol I haven't written or read anything yet. I just can't seem to find my voice :(

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't started writing today yet, but I'll definitely try. I hope to be very productive over my Summer break because when I start school back in the Fall, I don't know how much I'll be able to write. Don't know how much I'll get done though. So, I'm going to try to be positive. :tongue :snoopy:

I'm really considering getting some of my Romance stuff published but I don't know. I don't know how ready I am to get my UF published. I think I want to work on that a little more, but I have to see. I'm truthfully nervous. I looked up some of my favorite writers on Amazon, and read some of the reviews on their books. Let's just say some people were less than kind. :ROFL: So, now I'm scared.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I like to think I won't care about bad reviews when they come.

But I probably will care...

Of course, so long as I make decent money, who cares that not everyone loves my writing?

I think you should submit your best romance story, and see how it goes. I mean, provided you actually tried to write it well, it can't hurt to submit it...

I've submitted my UF-comedy before, and it's never gotten as far as a full request, but I don't think I've wrecked my reputation with those publishers or anything like that. It just wasn't suitable, that's all.

Go for it, if you feel your story is as good as it can be. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
It probably won't be as scary as you probably think it will be. :) Some will be good and some will be bad (and hopefully there will be more good ones ;)). If you choose to read them, you can see what you did right and what you did wrong in both, and sometimes the bad ones can be even more helpful.

It's not a writing example, but yesterday when I did my presentation, the other students were grading me along with the teachers. While the majority of them gave me A's and B's, one guy gave me a C (51 out of 65). I got a brief look at things he thought I could've improved on, and I actually found that I agreed more with him than most of the people who scored me higher.

In contrast, his girlfriend (class valedictorian, of course :tongue) gave me 63 out of 65, which was the highest I got. :tongue I thought the point spread between the two of them was hilarious, and both of their scores made me smile.

Which kind of reminds me... Even with skipping a grade, I get to be salutatorian. :) And I have to write a speech... Yay...

Stayed home sick from school today after leaving early yesterday... Apparently I missed some guy getting arrested. :Shrug:

Fall class schedule is finally online! Yay! :D I've been playing around and trying to make up an ideal schedule for the last few hours or so. Seems like it's going to be fun. :)

(Just rambling here... Not much else to do when you're sick...)

~Amber~

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I like to think I won't care about bad reviews when they come.

But I probably will care...

Of course, so long as I make decent money, who cares that not everyone loves my writing?

I think you should submit your best romance story, and see how it goes. I mean, provided you actually tried to write it well, it can't hurt to submit it...

I've submitted my UF-comedy before, and it's never gotten as far as a full request, but I don't think I've wrecked my reputation with those publishers or anything like that. It just wasn't suitable, that's all.

Go for it, if you feel your story is as good as it can be. :)

Yeah. That's true. But I mean I think it's written well, and I do know what happens but just can't seem to place it. I honestly feel like I've slightly run out of steam on it.

I might try writing the alternate plot line I was thinking about doing for this story but I don't know.

I'm worried I've finally gotten good at writing romance again, I hope, and I don't want to jinx myself. :tongue I'm still trying to learn how to balance writing two different genres I think; I'm getting better at it I think though. So, progress there.

-------

Still haven't gotten that much written today, but I'll keep trying. Maybe something will come along.

--------

Got the rest of my grades in for the semester. I did good. I'm happy! Woot. :partyguy:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Woo!

I think every writer feels they've fallen out of love with their book by the time it's ready to be submitted. Well, every writer I've spoken to on this site who has been published...

Or rather, it's more like:

1. Press Send.
2. "Augh! It's a shit story! Send it back!"
3. Success.
4. "Oh, maybe it's not that bad..."

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Start of college. :) Finished with high school in five weeks. :D Almost exactly, actually... Graduation will probably end half an hour before exactly five weeks from now. Can't wait. :)

~Amber~

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As someone who is going to be in college probably until the end of my twenties I can say that it'll be worth it since I opted not to take out any more loans and will try to cover the cost my grants and work study won't cover.

As for my writing summer school starts on the 28th, I have until then to get everything paid off and then I can register for my summer school classes.

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, since I have been given a chance at a fresh start and probably won't enter medical school until I'm 25 I'm fine with it, I just don't want to go in debt because of it.

Plus I have a job and writing can very much well become my job, once I'm ready to publish that is.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Medical school? Good work! Down here that's the hardest course to get into. :)

And yeah, I don't want to be in debt either. C'mon writing! Mamma needs a new pair of diplomas!

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Haha, yeah because Mcdonald's pays okay but it's not enough to pay out thousands of dollars in loans alone, plus future tuition costs.

Don't get me wrong, I write because I love to write, but nothing wrong with getting paid for doing something I love.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm. :)

Up until about a year ago, I thought I would only want to be a novelist. Then I started writing short stories occasionally. Now I'm happy just writing anything fiction, at all.

Hence my recent idea that if Uni is taking up all my time, I might try writing and submitting short stories. Less money, but less time. And hey, it's money - and if you get a bunch of your shorts published, you may have an "in" with getting your novels published. Not guaranteed, but what in life is?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've now played guitar twice today. The second time was on the good guitar, and I sounded alright I guess. I'm improving glacially slow, in any event. The first time was on my new acoustic. Which broke a string trying to tune it. And it sounds as cheap as it is...

And I've read half a chapter of my textbook for the test on Tuesday. The test is on 3 weeks of material. Week 3 is that half of the chapter that I read. Weeks 1 and 2 aren't even in the textbook!

So it's a good thing I took notes, and can get the lecture slides online. :)

And that's about all I intend on doing tonight. I know I should start reading a book for English, but I just can't be bothered right now.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I got to see The Avengers yesterday! :hooray::banana::e2headban

And today is my 11th wedding anniversary. :D