Juxtaposed June - 500 Words a Day thread - All Genres Welcome

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Welcome to the thread. Can you believe that it's already June? Where did the year go?

How did you do last month? What are your goals this month?

Please remember to keep on topic. The Mod's are watching. ;)

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in!

May was a dismal month for word count. But I got rather sidetracked with edits for the two mystery novels I've got coming out this year, and then I was away for two weeks. So those are my excuses.

However. Edits now submitted back to publisher, and I want to focus again on my WIP.

My goal for June is to finish the first draft. I think I'm about 5,000 words away...

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I have no idea where May went. It's been a bit of a blur.

Let's see...I made fairly good progress on both my WIPs but not as much as I wanted to. Le sigh.

This month, I need to revise my short story/novella for the antho, and get back to work on my main WIP, Grave Touched. I'd like to write/revise at least 30,000 words. A bit ambitious, but one can hope. ;)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
How did you do last month? What are your goals this month?

I met my goals last month - I got the second draft out to my agent, and I wrote 10K words on the WIP. (And decided to change course plot-wise a number of times, but I still made my word count, so it doesn't matter, right? :))

This month I have to get my third draft done. I'm making changes based on the feedback I got on the second draft, and my agent is also doing some line edits for me. I've incorporated feedback from my beta readers from time to time, but I've never had anyone actually do focused line edits before. I'm kind of nervous, but also excited to see what comes out of it.

So June goal: THIRD DRAFT.

Go, team! :e2cheer:

(And thanks, Ken, for starting the thread.)

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
May was a total washout for me. As was April. But the deadline just creeps closer.

1,160 this morning. And more time spent re-reading my story just so I could remember what was happening.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
May went well. I finished my 2nd edit and will now print it out and put it away for a while.

Medically, I've a lot coming up in June so I doubt I'll get much of a word count. But I shall pop in every now and again with gentle :poke:'s and :whip:'s for anyone who needs 'em.:D

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Due to me being very busy and then not taking my laptop on vacation with me I got next to nothing done in May. Yet again.
June is going to be super busy as well. But WIP 1 must be revised, WIP 2 must be actually written. And they will. Eventually. Probably. Maybe.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
So June goal: THIRD DRAFT.

(And thanks, Ken, for starting the thread.)

Happy to do it. Of course I had to clear it with the Super Mod, HJ. :tongue

Well, fell a little short on my goal of hitting 70K by the end of May. Came up with 69,250. I did top that today though, and pounded out 865 new words to wrap the chapter. :D WIP is now at 70,114.

The goal this month is to get to the end and start edits. I have two more weeks on this contract job and then I'm done. Plan on taking a month or so off to finish this book and get it published.

Good luck and good writing, all! :D

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Another chapter edited, although I think I hate it. I don't think I've got the tone quite right yet. Ah, well - -202, and I'll sleep on it.

Received the first set of line edits back from my agent. I was worried; she said the cuts would be brutal, but I don't find them brutal at all. I'm trying not to be too relieved, since I know at some point she's going to cut something that will make me cry. :cry: But it hasn't happened yet.

Welcome to June, ambitious people!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Got a couple of hundred this morning and finally broke 14k. Given I was aiming for 15k each month in April, and then again in May, I'm thinking hitting 15k total this month might be a more achievable target...

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
May's goal was loosely enough phrased ("progress on revisions") that I did meet it: am now just over one-third through the second round of revisions (this round being focused on getting more into the characters' heads and adding more emotional stuff).

June's goal will be the same, only perhaps a little more tightly focused: Get to the three-fourths mark, at least, on said revisions. It's doable, with discipline. Fortunately, this is the first month this year that I'm not taking an online writing course, which should help a lot.

Got in 127 new words today, with the total words for the WIP now teetering just over 92,000. Oh well, third round may well be "tightening the MS." :)

Good writing, everyone!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Made some progress on my revision last night, getting up to a point when I can incorporate the new material into the existing. I hope to wrap that up over the weekend, then do a pacing check.

Refill-the-Inkwell

Daring Greatly
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to give this a try. Kids will be home for the summer and I'm the chauffeur to basketball camps, volleyball clinics, etc. I'm shooting for a modest 5K-7K words in June.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Welcome, Refill-the-Inkwell. :welcome: Glad to have you join our group. Good luck on your goals this month. This thread is all about support and encouragement.

No real progress for me today, other than a little plotting. Got the next chapter started, well, I got the Day/Time/Location entered anyway. Got stuck in meetings this morning, and afterwards got lots of calls for Outlook issues, so no real time to write. Also got the "official" word from the boss that my last day will be the 27th. I had a good run on a contract that was only supposed to last 6 months. This month makes it 2 years, so not bad. I need a vacation any way, haven't had a real one in a long time. Thinking of packing up and heading to Florida and spending a few weeks on the beach. Of course I'll have to pack plenty of SPF 2000 sunblock.:Sun: (Yes, I'm that pale. :tongue)

Good luck and good writing, all!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Welcome,Refill--

OK, I had a net increase of 1,107, which doesn't really reflect that I ditched the two short scenes that I wrote yesterday and replaced them with one longer scene in a different location with a different cast of characters and more conflict. It works better, and I'm happy about that.

But my gross wordage is probably closer to 2k. Sigh.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I just started rereading the main WIP in preparation for starting rewriting again. I know vaguely where I left off, but need a refresher.

:hugs to all, just keep swimming:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I didn't spend a lot of time tonight, but I did incorporate some of the easier edits. I'm stopping now because I am actually at -1,007. This is unlikely to stand, but it's nice for now.

Progress is progress. Go, everyone! :hooray:

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
First early-morning writing session of the month, and I've achieved 1,051 words.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I've over-scheduled myself this week. No glimmer of writing opportunity until Thursday, if I can stay awake long enough to manage it.

Daddyo

been around a while
Registered
Reaction score
May was tough on my WIP. Did a lot of work with my editor on my summited manuscript and have spent the first days of this month doing the same. I'm planning to wrap up 2nd round edits and begin the third. I'll also shoot for 12,000 words by end to the month. So...there. I've set it and now plan to meet it.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Congrats on the bonus and the milestone, OSG. :D

Awesome progress, Daddyo, keep it up!

Chin up, Namatu.

Wow, nice wordage, Shara!

Well, hoped for more words today, but the !@#% day job got in the way. However, despite or in spite of it, I managed to add 510 new words to the WIP. :D WIP is now at 70,615.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
2,053 words today. Just crossed the 30K mark and feeling better about it. Trying to crank out the rest of this manuscript. With occasional breaks for mother-of-the-bride duties.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Shara, you are a wonder. I can't even pour coffee early in the morning.

Namatu, here's to glimmer day!

Daddyo, those sound like solid goals.

osg, bravo on hitting 15K! Now keep going. :D

Yay, Ken! Hitting the homestretch.

Nice word count, BfloGal - and congratulations on the mother-of-the-bride duties.

Finished incorporating the line edits. Not awful. -263 for the day. Tomorrow: Back to larger revisions, and then those get shipped to the agent for more line edits.

This must go faster.