Injurious July 500 words/day thread--all genres welcome!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
2,123 words today.

Fell short of my 3,000/day goal, but since this holiday started with a migraine and finished with a nice dinner out, I'll take it.

July total: 11,528.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Holy Cow, BfloGal! You'll hit that 40K in no time!

I have done no writing in the last few days. Still waiting on feedback for my last draft, and I'm feeling sort of glum and anxious about the whole thing. I suppose I should own up to deliberately taking a bit of a break. I am definitely a little burned out these days.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
1368 today. Didn't think I was going to end up writing at all with family stuff going on for the holiday. Put kids to bed, sat down in front on my computer and the words just flowed. Feels good!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
2887 today. Word count is creeping up. Passed the 50K mark, so technically it's a novel. I guess.

I feel like a kid cramming for finals.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Nice work, BfloGal and lindz! And lizmonster--hey, we all need breaks sometimes. Hope your feedback is positive, or at least constructive.

I spent another day working on the manuscript I want to submit soon. Finished going through the whole thing once, so I will put it aside to rest for a day or two and in the meantime get back to the WIP.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You guys are putting me to shame. Excellent word counts. And Marlys - congratulations on getting through the MS!

Rumor has it I added 921 words tonight. I have to bash forward without a plot. It will come together. Or, alternatively, I could have something wheeled in from Stage Right to dig all of my characters out of the holes I will be writing them into. :)

Go, everyone! :hooray:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Wrote 3.5K on a novella today! Well, techincally it was 3.8 but 300 of that was last night right before midnight. Either way I expanded the novella from 2.2K to 6K in less than 24hrs. Not too shabby if I do say so myself.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Was a struggle today but I managed 1063 words today. Just hope they won't be crap when I reread them tomorrow.

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, folks! Y'all are looking very productive. :)

It's still not quite 10:30 AM here, but I'm quitting for the morning. 1424 words on the WIP, bringing me up to 3530 for the month. That more than covers my average 500/day goal, so I've made up for spending the previous few days revising something else.

And if I get back to writing this afternoon, I can return to the other project without feeling neglectful.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I got words. About 3k in the last few days. Now I'm stuck. I need an excuse for my character to be on the other side of the country and I can't think of any.

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
I got words. About 3k in the last few days. Now I'm stuck. I need an excuse for my character to be on the other side of the country and I can't think of any.

What country and who is your character? Can be anything from a college visit to a friend's wedding to one of those once-in-a-blue-moon airline sales where flights are too cheap to pass up...

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
US and the character is a cop. The problem is, she needs to do a work-related thing and she is based in MA. She has neither reason nor jurisdiction to do anything work-related in California. But it would make for such a cool scene if she did!

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
US and the character is a cop. The problem is, she needs to do a work-related thing and she is based in MA. She has neither reason nor jurisdiction to do anything work-related in California. But it would make for such a cool scene if she did!
Could she attend a training seminar or law-enforcement conference of some kind? Here's a list of police training courses coming up: http://policetraining.net/

Why would she go all the way to CA for one? Well, maybe there's some urgent reason she needs this particular training, and there's nothing closer. Or an old mentor is teaching it. Or she needs to jump in and teach it for someone else who is unexpectedly unable to do so.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
I did 1050 words today but still not really happy with how this chapter is going. I think I'll just power through, finish it tomorrow and move on then maybe take another look at it in a few days to figure out what I can do better.

Really hate days where it doesn't seem to quite click.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
2,277 words today.

And a secondary character surprised me by revealing he's a whistleblower for the FDA. OK, so it's not the sexiest government agency, but it has potential.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
AWesome progress, everyone! Editing counts, Liz. :D

Not much for me these past few days, got kidnapped by some friends I haven't seen in a couple of years and ended up spending an outstanding weekend with them. But now it's back to business. 659 this morning, after I got my coffee down. Wrapped a chapter and started the next. Ready to pound out some wordag

Good luck and good writing!

ETA: Way to go, BfloGal! Puts me to shame with my meager 1027 for the day. :Shrug:

Getting ready to write a raid scene and have to plan out all the details. Kelli and the JTF are about to raid the compound of one of the bad guys. Needless to say, the place is heavily guarded. Added another 368 to the 659 from earlier. Now at 75,365! :D Less than 15K to total wordage goal. :snoopy:

Last edited:

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
3006 words today, meeting my daily goal for the first time in a couple of days. Which means I'm just shy of 20k so far in July, with a little over 20k left to go on this writing sprint.

And I somehow managed to clean up a chapter for critique group tonight.

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
2,509 words today, which I think gives me over 6K for the month so far, and over 63K on the ms.

But I'm sad. The events in the chapter I just finished will eventually set up the death of a major character. He's not perfect, but I like him--and so does my MC. I think we're both going to be devastated when he dies.

Best of luck meeting your goals today!

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write yesterday, which made me a feel a little crappy but I did do planning. Trying to figure out a way to fix the stagnant chapter I'd been working on.

Did 917 words today, finishing off the chapter and making some edits which I think have helped it out of the rut it was in.

And nice work on the great word counts everyone. Looks like great progress is being made by everyone!

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Nice word counts BfloGal, Marylys and lindz. :D

Slow start for me today. Working on a scene that is taking a lot of tactical research. Kelli and the JTF she is on are getting ready to assault the compound of one of the bad guys. Risky. Only 474 words so far.

ETA: Managed an additional 532 words this afternoon for a daily total of 1007. WIP is now at 76,372!

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Nice progress everyone! I took a few sanity days off from the WIP. I'm on vacation from work till Friday, thought I'd be pounding away at the MS. Not so much. :( I hope to get back at it today.