International SASE -- use an IRC?

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for posting about this yet again, but the advice I found in searches didn't quite answer my question.

I'm in the US and I'm querying a UK-based agent via postal mail. I did some Googling and learned of IRCs. Then I searched here and folks said that IRCs are a pain. I tried to find somewhere to purchase UK stamps. (I have some from a recent trip for postcards.) I asked friends with family in the UK. I looked on the Royal Mail website. I can purchase postage online, but it has to be used within one business day.

I have three options. Which do you think is most polite and professional?
1. Send the SASE with IRC
2. Send a SASPostcard with my leftover stamps
3. Do not send an IRC and just list my email address

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd email the agent/agency and ask what they prefer for international queriers. Most likely they'll allow you to include your email address for response, but best to let them tell you their preference if you've got an email address for them.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I had people from the states send me stamps and put the stamps on the SASE. It wasn't perfect (once or twice my calculations were off), but it worked well and solved the IRC problem.

Do you know anyone who lives in the UK? I'd volunteer to send you American stamps, but obviously that wouldn't help.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The charges for posting letters went up quite significantly yesterday, so if you're using UK stamps make sure you have the right value.

But if I were querying a UK agent from America I'd do it all by email; and if the agent asks for you to submit paper copies (and very few do--submissions are almost entirely electronic here now) I'd ask for them to respond via email because you're not in the UK. It's not an unreasonable request.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I'm in Europe, and when I have to send a snail mail query to a US agent (which is thankfully rare) I have friends willing to print & mail my query and first few pages. It's cheaper, faster, and more reliable than snail mail--and way simpler to boot--though of course you need to have friends you can trust and who are willing to do you a favor.

If the agent asked for a partial, though, I'd ask if they were willing to accept it via e-mail. Most agents will understand.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, everyone. I don't know anyone in the UK currently, unfortunately. So I think I will email the agency and ask if they prefer an IRC or if they can just email me if they want to read more.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
A year or so back I asked a number of UK agencies how they would handle this one and they all said option 3). They will reply by e-mail

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Mayqueen, it's highly likely that they'll prefer emailed submissions anyway so this is all irrelevant. Have you checked?

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah they are a postal mail only submissions agency.

Strom

Need to write more
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the UK, if I can help at all.