Pasting Pages into Email

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
I have what is probably a really stupid question, but this is driving me insane! When I paste the requested pages into the email for the query, the pages from my manuscript paste in without the indents to signal a new paragraph. Instead, there is a space between paragraphs. I spent about two hours messing with the email formatting (I use gmail) and copying it all onto notepad, ripping out all formatting, correcting it in notepad, and then pasting it back in. Nothing. Still doesn't indent. It doesn't look bad, just not right. Is this something that agents will be really picky about? Does this happen to anyone else? Am I just a noob and haven't figured this out? Short of typing it all into the email, I don't know how to fix this.

But, more importantly, I am stressing over whether or not this will make an agent think I am sloppy. The Query itself is fine, as is the synopsis. Its just when the actual manuscript pages...

Anyone have any insight? :(

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Most agents seem to want e-mail excerpts unformatted with an extra line between paragraphs.

So, AFAIK you had it right the first time.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I think most agents know that pasting to email is going to be a jumble at times. Different emails will show different formatting issues.

They are more interested in what the sample pages read like than the formatting in the email. Still, it never hurts to make sure you edit the email to put spaces between paragraphs, or that your italics and show up where needed...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
As long as there's an extra space, no tabs is fine. I have a first 10 pages file for each book with an extra space included because my e-mail is so inconsistent about whether it tabs, adds a space, or neither. I figure that my added space makes it completely clear that there's a new paragraph, no matter what happens to tabs or gmail's spacing by the time the e-mail reaches the agent's inbox.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you're using RTF format for the manuscript itself, and then have Gmail set to use RTF, you shouldn't have a problem. I use Gmail constantly to send perfectly formatted manuscripts to magazine publishers.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I sent out some queries without properly formatted pages at the bottom. The lines would break at appropriate parts, but there was no space in between. Kinda looked like a wall-of-text.

It was an inadvertent thing - glitch in formatting. About 75% didn't even bother with form rejections.

Now, I use Pure Text to insure what I see is what I get. Works much better.

dmickey

Registered
Reaction score
What is RTF? What is Pure Text?

rac

Registered
Reaction score
I had most of the troubles the others have described until I started using Word. Now the formatting headache is gone. There are very few glitches.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
When you save your document you can choose to save it in various formats, and RTF (rich text format) and plain text are some of the options you have.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
PureText is an awesome free program that enables you to paste text with formatting stripped. So all of the invisible tags and codes that might make your pages look weird when you paste them into email go away. I'm a big fan.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
In Gmail, there's a little button that strips the formatting of whatever text you've selected. It looks like an italicized, underlined T, with a little X next to it.

I use it religiously when sending queries. It makes C&Ping pages from Word supremely easy. I can just copy and paste from Word--indents, no spaces between paragraphs, single or double spacing between lines, whatever--and hit the button, and boom, it loses your indents and adds a space between paragraphs. It also loses your italics, but since you should indicate those inbetween _underlines_ or *asterisks* anyway, that's not a big deal.

rac

Registered
Reaction score
In Gmail, there's a little button that strips the formatting of whatever text you've selected. It looks like an italicized, underlined T, with a little X next to it.

I use it religiously when sending queries. It makes C&Ping pages from Word supremely easy. I can just copy and paste from Word--indents, no spaces between paragraphs, single or double spacing between lines, whatever--and hit the button, and boom, it loses your indents and adds a space between paragraphs. It also loses your italics, but since you should indicate those inbetween _underlines_ or *asterisks* anyway, that's not a big deal.
Thank you! You've made it easier.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

This is good when agents and editors want stripped pages, but when they want formatted stories, as they often do, just use RTf and send it.

Too many judge how a manuscript looks by how it appears in their own e-mail client, and this is NOT the way to do it unless you're using Outlook, and have it set up properly.

Unless you're set up to receive and view rtf formatted e-mails, anything you look at probably will be a mess. This does not mean it's a mess when an agent or editor looks at it in their own in-boxes.

When an agent or editors does want formatted pages, you're just creating a lot of extra work when you strip formatting.

It's been possible, and easy, to send perfectly formatted e-mails for at least ten years.

dmickey

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the info. Sending email queries has been the bane of my existence since technology and I are not friends.

Corinne Duyvis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Given how many agents will read e-mail on their phone and such, sending text with zero mark-up is always the best choice unless they specifically ask for something else--and in that case, you're better off sending an attachment rather than pasting the pages in your inbox, anyway.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... and if you have any doubts, email the query to yourself and see if anything gets messed up.

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
It also loses your italics, but since you should indicate those inbetween _underlines_ or *asterisks* anyway, that's not a big deal.
Okay, I've read just this week on several websites that italics are now permissible in your manuscript, because _this_ and *this* are holdovers from typewritter days when italics could not be displayed. I would leave them out of queries but, in this digital age, most agents don't have a problem with someone having italics in their manuscript, and it actually saves time on the timesetting end. Has anyone else read this?

Corinne Duyvis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Okay, I've read just this week on several websites that italics are now permissible in your manuscript, because _this_ and *this* are holdovers from typewritter days when italics could not be displayed. I would leave them out of queries but, in this digital age, most agents don't have a problem with someone having italics in their manuscript, and it actually saves time on the timesetting end. Has anyone else read this?

99% of the time, yeah, italics are entirely permissible in manuscripts. The above referred to pasting pages into e-mail :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
J Marks, remember this thread is about emailing text, not how we format our manuscripts: but yes, use italics in manuscripts and never *this* or _that_.