To Follow or not to Follow on Twitter

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
90% of my twitter feed is from writers, agents, publishers, editors and other people in the writing business. (10% is NFL or Central Missouri football-related.)

So, yeah, I can't see any "etiquette" issues with this.

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
I don't think etiquette has anything to do with honestly. Most people just do it because its helpful to them, gives them a sense (or at least the illusion of one) of an agent's tastes, methods and schedule. I honestly don't think agents care on way or another.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Some agents tweet how up-to-date they are with their queries, so if you are querying those particular people, it can be useful. I follow one agent, even though I already have an agent, just because she tweets interesting information about the publishing world.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I follow a lot of agents on twitter because it gives me insight into the publishing world. However, a caution. When you follow agents you're querying, the possibility exists that you're going to go crazy from their twitter feed. Resist the urge to read too much into anything at all that they tweet.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I follow no one yet, but I do check in occasionally. It's great when agents and editors tweet useful information. But how much shoe/clothing/foodie /etc outside information can a person handle before the reader suffers information overload? At some point, it feels more like stalking or the frenzied social obsessions of high school girls waiting for A Boy to call.

In my case, I don't have Twitter access during my normal day job hours, so I don't have the compulsion to follow everything all the time.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I don't mind following them, usually to get information about their tastes and what their query reading stats are. I have connected with a few who follow me back, but it's mostly because we share interests or a sense of humour. Many don't represent what I write, but that's okay with me.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I followed agents I was querying who had active, interesting Twitters. The most awesome moment was when my future agent followed me back. I had a feeling good things were going to happen then. :D

Only do it if you won't drive yourself crazy over-analyzing everything they tweet.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I followed agents I was querying who had active, interesting Twitters. The most awesome moment was when my future agent followed me back. I had a feeling good things were going to happen then. :D

Only do it if you won't drive yourself crazy over-analyzing everything they tweet.

I'm actually almost never on twitter, but pop in once in a while. I never really thought of it, until this lady mentioned it. I felt a little foolish that I never thought of it! :e2cookie:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Oh okay, but that made me laugh! :)

Actually, almost all of my internet activity is tied up with Football, (either K.C. Chiefs or the University of Central Missouri - my alma mater), Kendo, or writing.

That and checking my work/college e-mail every so often to ensure I don't miss something.

Family and friends? That's what the phone's for.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I follow quite a few, and 2 who have my full MS have followed me back. In a way it's good--because they're following me I've self-censored a lot of my anxious tweeting.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I follow agents I think I may be interested in querying someday. I follow writers I like, my husband because I have to, and a bunch of other people because I like what they tweet.

I don't autofollow and every so often, I go in and cull the herd (kind of like my FB friends list.) I can go days without tweeting, and then make up for it in a few short hours. Oh, and I hate the new Tweetdeck with a passion, but I think I'm the only one who does. :D

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
One time I followed up with what an agent was requesting on a Twitter site, but it felt like stalking. So I never did it again.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
Following agents - or anyone - is fine, and I know lots of writers do it. I've had some great advice from agents on Twitter too, using hashtag '#askagent' (several agents will sporadically advertise that they're answering any and all questions for the next half an hour or so) or #pubtip. I've been followed back by a couple and I'm R+R'ing for an agent I only originally submitted to because I found her on Twitter and checked out her site.

And as said, many update their query stats, so it stops a lot of compulsive e-mail checking!

BUT... don't spam agents with loads of 'witty' comments and replies and retweets. I suggest keeping pretty much silent and simply following their feed until you have a specific reason to communicate.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
It's funny this should come up because I've been wondering the same. :) I've followed quite a few agents for a long time, so I didn't think much of it when it was time to query. But then I had these dilemmas about agents I hadn't followed yet but *had* queried. I did an R & R for an agent but didn't follow before querying, and now I'm holding off. The timing doesn't seem right.

Just chalk it up to another obsession of the querying writer.

Wow, do I know how to give a helpful non-answer or what? ;)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I would find it crazy-making, personally.

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with following an agent your querying. They have thousands of followers anyway and wont even know its "you" following them.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I hate the new Tweetdeck with a passion, but I think I'm the only one who does. :D

I have nothing to add to this thread, other than: I HATE it, too! Drives me crazy! :)

*falls back into shadows*

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
One time I followed up with what an agent was requesting on a Twitter site, but it felt like stalking. So I never did it again.

What do you mean by that? The types of stuff they tend to request, or you specific request/submission?

If it's the latter, I'd never do that. Even with the agent who approached me about my writing via Twitter DM. I switched to email for the most part.

I have a feeling I might have misunderstood what you meant, though.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
It was something specific. I might have emailed the agent with: "I just saw on Twitter you were looking for such and such...and here it is." Not sure if it resulted in a read.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, if it's incorporating something like that into the query letter, as a touch of personalisation, that's usually fine to include, but hard to phrase in a non-stalkery way, I agree ;).

JQTrotter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jacquelinetrotter.wordpress.com
I follow agents that represent what I'm interested in and what I write. I agree with what a lot of people have said already--don't over analyze what the agents are saying. I just think it's a good idea to get a feel for what the agents like and to get more information about what's going on in the marketplace.

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I'm following quite a few agents on Twitter, even the ones that already rejected me. Mainly for updates on the publishing world or because they could be useful for future projects, as to not forget their names.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
But the question is, do you respond to their tweets in your correspondence to them? To me that's going over the line.