Feeling Uneasy About My Agent

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not 100% happy with how things are going with my agent. She has 3 of my novels. Two she is representing and my current one I sent her three weeks ago, with no word on whether or not she wants to represent that one too.

So far we have 4 pending submissions (on only one of the novels) that's been 2 months now. The other one she keeps telling me she'll pitch, but hasn't yet. I signed with her about 3 months ago and I know our relationship is just starting, but I feel like she should be a little more proactive in my work.

Don't you think it would be a good time to send more submissions out? Or at least nudge the others? Or keep nudging? And with my latest novel, since I'm her client, shouldn't she have gotten to it by now? I mean, it's another one she could be throwing out there.

So far her strategy is pitching the one and mentioning I have more work. Should she be trying to pitch them seperately and still mention the others?

And I feel like I keep bugging her when I email. Usually she doesn't get back to me right away either. Sometimes it's two weeks that goes by, which I don't care for.

I just think she should be a little more aggressive about my work and it doesn't feel that way. Oh, and I've never actually spoken to her on the phone, yet she always invites me to call her if I need anything. Yet she has never initiated calling me either.

My former agent before this, I at least talked to her over the phone when we first started out. Just wondering if anyone is dealing with an agent that they haven't actually spoken to over the phone yet.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
My advice: take a deep breath.

Think about how long it takes some agents to read fulls. It's no different when it's the agent pitching to publishers/editors: they're going to take a while, too. Things don't speed up just because there's an agent involved.

As for the third book: Would you query the same agent with three different novels all at the same time? No, right? So why would an agent send three books at the same time to the same people? Again, I think this is a "glacial" thing, along with a "don't flood the market" and a "don't pull all your eggs out of the basket at once" thing. Take another deep breath.

I can't speak to the phone conversation versus email. Each person is different in what they want. Different agents have different styles, and maybe this agent's style doesn't work for you. Before doing anything rash, I'd recommend setting up a phone conversation since the agent has said to call if you need them. It's amazing how many people have been about to fall off the cliff worrying about their agent, who had all their fears resolved after a ten minute phone call. We are a slightly nutty bunch, us writers.

LongWave

Registered
Reaction score
I have not yet worked with an agent, but a phone call is much more personal than email and usually renders better results.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, come to think of it, I'm not breathing much lately. lol

My husband also says to set up a phone appointment, but I am sincerely too chicken to do it. Maybe it's in order here since I still feel in limbo when I could be productive with my writing.

Maybe I will build up the courage to email her for phone interview. I really don't want to do or say anything rash, because I do like her and her views on my work. I also like that she is interested in all or most of my work too, which is really hard to come by. And ya, ya, I know she's busy with much more important work as she mentioned she's making another current deal.

Yeah, I am definitely one of the nuts in the bunch. I'll try to breathe better. You guys are so good to me, thanks!

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Without knowing more about your books and her strategy, it's impossible for us to say whether what she's doing makes sense, or if it should give you cause for alarm.

Are the books sequels? Then no, she wouldn't pitch them upfront.

Are they in the same genre as the first book? Maybe she doesn't want to pitch multiple similar genre titles to the same editors. Maybe she's going with the strongest one first, and mentioning there's other similar work available if they're interested.

Are they different genres? Maybe she's focusing on the one she thinks has the strongest chance of selling. Part of what she's doing for you is helping to build a career, and often that means focusing on one genre at first and building a readership there.

These are just potential reasons I could think of off-the-cuff. And yes, two or three months is far too early to feel true uneasiness about your agent, when it sounds like she's doing exactly what agents are supposed to do: submitting your work to editors.

Ultimately if you don't feel comfortable with and confident in your agent, you shouldn't be working together. But from the information you've provided here, it sounds like she's just acting like a normal agent. I'm also curious about your previous agent and why you're no longer represented by her/him...

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Why are you afraid of asking for a phone convo? She works for you. She doesn't get paid unless you do. I've found if I'm skittish, talking with my agent and learning more about her strategies helps quell my nerves. Two months is barely any time at all to be on sub. Also, she may only have one book out there as a way of knowing who to sub to next. One editor may come back with, "I just don't love Writer's voice," so the agent knows to pick a different editor at that house for the next project, or an editor may say, "I really like this Writer's work but can't get in-house enthusiasm to go further," meaning the agent may go back to that editor with the next project because it just might well be the one to get enthusiasm. It just sounds like you would do well to talk over your agent's submission plan and to remember that this industry is slooooooow.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth: We didn't start hearing back until the two month mark from a lot of editors, so that's nothing. Response times, from what I've heard from my agent and others, are longer than they once were for a lot of people.

As for only sending out one book, my agent actually told me that he will only focus on one book at a time. It makes sense when you think about it, and chances are your agent wants to do the same, particularly if they are in the same genre.

As for only sending out four, again two months is nothing. My agent sends out ten at a time, but generally waits to hear back from those before moving on. I did the same strategy while querying (to a degree, impatience got the best of me). The idea is that if the editors have similar negative comments it might mean the book needs revisions. If you send out to too many, you've killed your chance with them. If, however, you've sent to only a few and then they all find fault with the same thing, that element can be fixed before it's sent out to new people.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you need to schedule a conversation with your agent to discuss how this process works and what she does. Everyone works their own way, but nothing you've said at all sounds alarming to me and sounds like it's based on unrealistic expectations. There's nothing wrong with talking to her to say you want to understand how the submission process works. You can ask any questions you have then, including "Why do you do it that way?" It's a valid question, and one I asked my own agent about a couple of things.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
My novels are seperate stories, but yes in the same genre. My former agent had no interest in seeing my other works and lost interest in pitching the one. She only sent it to about 4 places during the 6 months we were working together. Towards the end of our sixth month contract, if she wasn't going to end, I was. Turned out she did and I had no problem with it. Thanks Lea.

Mrs.Brommers, I think you may be right and her strategy too, like feeling out the editors first instead of throwing them all out there.

It's me. I know it's me. I want this to happen like yesterday. I think having a 6th month track record with a previous agent is making my patience even thinner. And I didn't have much patience to begin with.

As for the phone thing, the truth is I am nervous just thinking about it. I'm afraid I'll say something wrong to turn her off or something. At least with the email you can read what you want to say and edit yourself either omitting or adding something you didn't see before. Plus it's all in writing too so you can refer back to it.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Make a list of questions in advance. That's what I did. It let me have it all right there so I didn't make an idiot of myself. Just a couple of things I wanted to ask. Just send an email letting her know that you're curious about the process and have a few questions and she'll be more than happy to talk to you. My agent actually volunteered to do this conversation if I wanted it and he's told me on numerous occasions that I can just call if I need something or just have a question. Granted I almost always just email instead, but this is okay to talk about.

She'll understand. :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kaitie, you're putting me at ease when you say I shouldn't be alarmed about this strategy here as others have mentioned.

Still as naive as they come here. And you'd think after 5 years of extensively writing and working with people in the industry, I would get it by now. Urgh, patience has always been my Achilles heel.

Sorry guys...you are in fact making me feel better. I sincerely appreciate!

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Besides what everybody else said, don't forget you are not her only client. You are only one of many, and you're the new kid on the block. Besides trying to place your books and looking through your manuscripts, she'll also have plenty of work with the authors who are already selling. She can hardly be like "Ah, I'll deal with bestselling Joe Blow later - first I got to make sure Undercover's manuscript is all tickety-boo" ;)

I'd make a phone appointment with her. Why don't you make a list of what you want to ask or know about, topics you want to discuss (ie frequency of email communication). Then stick to that script. That way you won't get so flustered that you'll forget what it was you actually wanted to ask or put your foot squarely into your mouth. And after the call, you'll hopefully be able to breathe again :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Make a list of questions in advance. That's what I did. It let me have it all right there so I didn't make an idiot of myself. Just a couple of things I wanted to ask. Just send an email letting her know that you're curious about the process and have a few questions and she'll be more than happy to talk to you. My agent actually volunteered to do this conversation if I wanted it and he's told me on numerous occasions that I can just call if I need something or just have a question. Granted I almost always just email instead, but this is okay to talk about.

She'll understand. :)

Excellent idea! I'm definitely doing that. Maybe once I have enough ammo, I'll get the courage to call. That way I won't be fumbling over the phone like some kind of dopehead. Thanks again.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's not unusual to only sub one book at a time, especially if they're in the same genre. The editors your agent subs to would be the same, most likely, for similar books, so it's not going to speed you up to have two books in the pipeline.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Can you PM or rep me the name? I had a similar agent, we just split this month after six months together, one round of subs and a lot of excuses, delays, and unanswered e-mails on her end.

I felt uneasy with her for a long time, but maintained a very professional persona while communicating with her. I think if you're feeling uneasy you might have a good reason. Look into it, find other authors with the same agent and see how they feel, contact Victoria Strauss, she often has an inside track on these things.

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Excellent idea! I'm definitely doing that. Maybe once I have enough ammo, I'll get the courage to call. That way I won't be fumbling over the phone like some kind of dopehead. Thanks again.

I would encourage you NOT to think about it (or present it) as 'ammo'. Until you actually talk to your agent about these concerns, I'd squarely consider all of them to be premature.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather not mention her name or my name in this matter because I don't want it going bad on either end. Right now the relationship is still new. I checked her up up down and sideways before I got involved with her and everything that's been presented and asked and researched about her passes my inspection of her.

I felt uneasy from the get go, not because of her, but because I was sort of burned about the last agent I had. Sometimes I wonder if mentioning my previous agent would help others hearing from my not so good experience. But like I said, I don't want to be one of those types of authors that blatantly complains over the internet and my name's connected to it, you know?

And yes, RK, I think you're right. After I just wrote down all my thoughts and questions, it just seems like nervous excitement of mindless chatter. I can't speed up the process, nor can she.

The other fear is being too overly overly about this. Perhaps just waiting and being silent for a while long is the best for now. Sometimes no news is just what it is. Bugging her about it isn't going to help matters.

And you're right Cyia, it doesn't matter if I have one or a hundred and one. I get it now, that it's one book at a time.

CrankItTo11

Registered
Reaction score
I understand impatience, I really do. I think most writers can relate to this, at least at one point in their career.

Keep in mind that agents do not submit to publishers lightly. They have professional relationships with editors, relationships that they work hard to create and maintain. There are lots of lots of rules of etiquette to follow too when submitting work to an editor.

I personally think it would be a sign of an agent that is out-of-the-loop and perhaps doesn't have many of the extremely valuable relationships established if he or she just did a massive blanket submission to nearly every publisher in town. I think submission to 4 thoughtfully chosen editors in 2 months sounds very reasonable.

I understand being hesitant to talk on the phone. I am a bit of a hermit too, and rarely use the phone. Communicate with your agent however you feel comfortable, but definitely communicate.

Good luck! Keep writing and stay busy. Not much you can do to speed up the process, and frankly if your try to speed up the process there is a good chance you'll come across as "difficult to work with". You don't want THAT stamped in your permanent record. ;)

MKrys

Quietly obsessing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelle-krys.blogspot.com
I second (third?) the point that going out on sub with one book at a time is the more common approach, from what I've seen and heard. Also, 2 months isn't that long in terms of hearing back from editors, nor is three weeks on a full. Three weeks to return an email, though, is getting a bit long, imo.

Good luck with everything, and crossing my fingers everything works out with your agent and you hear back soon from those editors soon!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
This is a topic that has come up (or at least has come onto my radar) a lot lately. People really don't realize how long things take.

Two months is a microsecond in publishing. Six months is nudgable, I think. BUT especially at this time of year, things are going to move a little slower -- London, Bologna, and then BEA are all this time of year. Editors are often traveling.

But you want to KNOW. My agent has told me stories... that I won't repeat, but one thread comes up a lot with those who get disgruntled. a) they're usually new writers, anxious and with no idea about publishing time b) they're impatient, constantly texting and emailing - like on a DAILY basis - about the status of their ms. Don't do that.

On the other hand, I hadn't spoken to my agent since earlier in the year. I sent her an email, just a check-in, knowing full well there wouldn't be any movement yet but wanting to touch base. She tweeted me and we had a phone call.

And she gave me a list of where my work was, what the game plan was, and who was next on the list once this round was over. I felt BETTER. She wants to see what kind of feedback we get before burning our opportunities. Good plan.

And I will now leave her to her work for another two months, unless something happens before that.

Your agent may be waiting to see what kind of feedback she gets with novel #1 before sending out novel #2. It may be that she is looking for a multi-book deal for you, and is saving the others to round out such a contract.

I would definitely give her an email. Ask for a phone call. Get the scoop.

And then work on something else.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I'm the odd duck who actually prefers the silence, but my agent won't let it go too long before she checks in to see how I'm doing. I know no news is... no news, and trust she'll contact me if there is any. I'm sure you'll get to know her routines pretty soon, undercover, but it would be a good idea to chat so you can put your mind at ease.

I remember when my manuscript had been out to editors for almost 2 years with no offers, and I'd pretty much given up on it. I finished writing a new book and was starting on a 3rd. Every time I saw my agent's name pop up on caller ID, i thought she was calling to break up with me. :) But that was never the case. In fact, one time I almost didn't answer because I was headed out the door for an appointment. It's a good thing i did, though, because that was "the call" with a 2-book offer from Harlequin Luna. So don't give up waiting! Some things just take more time than others.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you have an agent who makes sales, find out what his/her strategy is and discuss it. S/he may have book one on a desk with someone she will then sell all your books to for much $$$. Or not. No way to know without asking.

Determination

Is watching you
Registered
Reaction score
Breathe. Okay, now pick up the phone and call your agent! Trust me, I hate talking on the phone more than anyone but it sounds like a real conversation is in order. Agents are people too, they don't bite!

Sounds like you need to iron out a few things. You and your agent should be on the same page. It is a partnership after all. Now, I don't have an agent yet so don't quote me but it's my understanding that agents mostly sub one manuscript at a time, hopefully the one that is the best in your drawer. Until that one sells why would your agent be sending out others? Snag a deal on the first one and hopefully it will lead to a multiple book deal, then you can produce the others, assuming they are the sort of books the publisher wants. As others have stated, agents have a certain etiquette to follow with their editors and to me it would seem unprofessional to shop around three separate manuscripts from an unpublished author all at the same time.

Then again as I said, I don't have an agent so I may be talking out the top of my head. I'm sure one conversation with your agent can clear up any concerns you may have and give you an idea of where the two of you think your career is heading. You should at least be on the same page or maybe she isn't the agent for you.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I like to shoot mine an e-mail with a "request for update" header, and suggest a time that I'll be home to get her call. I don't like talking to my agent on a cell phone, but that's just me.

In the past 3 years, we've had subs out for ten months and more sometimes. I hate to say this, but in my experience some of the publishers in romantic fic aren't much speedier getting back to an agent as they are to a writer subbing for herself. Sad, but true. She does have to "nudge" fairly frequently, but my consolation is that there aren't many houses in my niche market, and she may have to call one of these acquisitions editors anyway -- what's the harm in talking "nudge" about more than one author or more than one project?

In my market, one sub going the rounds at a time is the norm. If it's a series, then she's been talking about the first book with the "possibility" of a series, but she still considers it one project.

Take the above advice, and start on your next book. Don't set your hair on fire. Do expect communication from your agent -- most of the relationships I'm aware of that have failed, have done so through lack of dialogue.