Does every novel need a twist at the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
For example, when I was younger I used to read LOTS of R.L Stine. LOTS. I think I lived on those Goosebumps books.
They were short novellas, but every single one had a twist at the end. That's what made them so interesting!

But, does every book need a twist to make it good? I understand it needs to be different from other books to make it unique, but does there have to be some killer reveal or whatever at the end to completely turn it around?

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
I am taking a Bachelor of Creative Writing. In my Introduction to Creative Writing class, someone asked our lecturer about twists.

He quite surprised me by turning around and saying, 'There is no such thing as a good twist.'

In my opinion that's not quite true. A good twist should be foreshadowed by subtle hints that a keen observer may or may not pick up on. A good twist should make the reader go, 'ohhhhh' and then go back and suddenly realise why THAT person had said something like that or did something like this.

Twists that come from nowhere for no reason other than to be a twist, and for no plot expansion just for the sake of being a twist are bad.

So in answer to your question. No. I've read heaps of stories that have no twists and are really good. In fact, I've only ever read one book that had a twist, and that was foreshadowed. When I read it the second time, suddenly I could see all the things that had hinted at what he said.

If it doesn't add to your story, and isn't relevant or important, then I wouldn't bother.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No. The best novels proceed toward an inexorable finish that completes the plot. That doesn't mean the reader knows in advance specifically what the ending will be, but it does mean the reader has a feel for the kind of ending it will be. A writer can't violate that principle without pissing off the reader. Any good story establishes its own framework of rules that must be adhered to.

caw

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
Ok guys, got it!

A few weeks ago, while planning my novel, I was thinking of giving it this twist...but now the twist seems horrible and it'll make the readers feel cheated.

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, like I said, unless it's foreshadowed and when you look back you can see the hints of it, don't bother, but if it comes out of no where - then readers won't like it. You have to make them believe what's happening. Believing would require foreshadowing.

Like blacbird said, a reader needs to have a sense of something coming.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
As always, it depends on the story. Some do. Some don't. It's not automatically required by any means.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with those who say some do, some don't. I've read books where the twist came at the end and I felt cheated. I've also read books where the entire time I've thought, "This cannot be how they are going to end it." And that is how it ends, and I feel cheated.

It depends :)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every novel doesn't need a twist -only a satisfactory conclusion.

Also depends how you define a 'twist'.

If it's a twist in the sense that the reader scratches his head wondering how the resolution was reached because any so called 'clues' were buried so deep you need a mechanical digger to find them - no.

But if it's simply an 'unexpected' ending at which one snaps one's fingers and says "Of course - why didn't I see that coming?" -why not?

NyxAustin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little in love with twists, but don't think every story needs one. They are wonderful things when you use them correctly and find the right story for them to fit in, but they don't work with every story.

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
I'lll agree with Bufty. Twists are not necessary, but they aren't the same as an unexpected or surprising ending. I personally enjoy mostly the latter, shows the writer bothered to think out of the box.

So...

No.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You need to read a lot more novels by a lot more writers. The obvious answer is no.

This does not mean a twist is a bad thing. Many of the best novels out there do have wonderful twist endings.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I love a good twist. See anything by Agatha Christie for an example of a good twist. If I had to pick a title at random, maybe Murder on the Orient Express or And Then There Were None. But really, anything.

Now for the rant.

If I am promised a monster, if I spend the book expecting a monster, you'd better damnwell give me a monster. I'm fine if that monster turns out to be of the human variety. I'm fine if that monster turns out to be symbolic (see another Best Book in the Universe, Lord of the Flies by William Golding). I'm fine if the monster isn't exactly what I expected as long as it fits the build up.

I am not fine if it is your friend playing a practical joke.

I am not fine if it was only a dream.

I am not fine if I spent 75,000 words being led to believe one thing, without the slightest hint to the contrary, and then the rules are suddenly changed.

Because that's what a bad twist is; a last-minute change of the book's physics, a kind of deus ex machina that solves the MC's problem, not by introducing an implausible solution, but by retconning the text to make the problem I've spent the book caring about never exist in the first place.

To answer the question actually asked, no, a story doesn't have to have a twist. No need to force one if you're not feeling it.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The twist better not be a deux en machina. If the reader says "WTF?!? The MC suddenly has an evil twin that was thought to be dead?!?!" - you're in deep trouble. To me, a twist has to have a reason. Kind of like a Scooby Doo episode. You think it is one person because the writer wants you to think that but it turns out X was guilty trying to get J revenge, etc.

I saw The Sixth Sense "twist" coming from about 329483294892 miles away. It has to be done well...

The Prestige's "twist" kinda made me want to punch someone.

The Illusionist's "twist" was kind of awesome...

Yes, I just used movies. Sorry. lol

Reaction score
Website
www.cathymcdowell.vpweb.com
For example, when I was younger I used to read LOTS of R.L Stine. LOTS. I think I lived on those Goosebumps books.
They were short novellas, but every single one had a twist at the end. That's what made them so interesting!

But, does every book need a twist to make it good? I understand it needs to be different from other books to make it unique, but does there have to be some killer reveal or whatever at the end to completely turn it around?

No, it does not.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Endings. There is an untold tomorrow at the end of every story. The characters should be aware of that and behave accordingly. If everything gets tied up in a neat happy-ending, twisty-or-not package, there's no tomorrow. I want to wonder without being told what becomes of George after he shoots Lennie. Steinbeck lets us do that.

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
I am not fine if I spent 75,000 words being led to believe one thing, without the slightest hint to the contrary, and then the rules are suddenly changed.

Because that's what a bad twist is; a last-minute change of the book's physics, a kind of deus ex machina that solves the MC's problem, not by introducing an implausible solution, but by retconning the text to make the problem I've spent the book caring about never exist in the first place.

To answer the question actually asked, no, a story doesn't have to have a twist. No need to force one if you're not feeling it.

This ^^

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm paraphrasing someone here, but "A novel may begin with a series of unlikely coincidences, but it may not end with one."

sciencewarrior

It's alive!
Registered
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I love a good twist. See anything by Agatha Christie for an example of a good twist. If I had to pick a title at random, maybe Murder on the Orient Express or And Then There Were None. But really, anything.
The one twist I'll never forget is in The Man in the Brown Suit.

If I am promised a monster, if I spend the book expecting a monster, you'd better damnwell give me a monster.
There you have it. In chapter one, you make a promise. If you don't fulfill that promise, your reader will hate your guts. A good twist delivers what you promised, just not as smoothly as it seemed at first.

xC0000005

An exception has occured.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorjcnelson.com
I'd phrase this as "Does any story need a twist at the end?" The best ones are the ones where the reader agrees "You told me this was coming all along, and I should've known."

sadbeautifultragic

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there was a thread similar to this recently. Sorry sorry, I know I'm a killjoy, and not the fabulous kind.

Anyway, basically what everyone else said. I like twists but only if they're done well. I don't like a twist ending to all of a sudden completely change the plot. No, uncool. Don't do that. But I want it to make me kick myself and say "you're a completely competent young man and a writer at that, how did you not see where this was going?!"

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I think reversals are an important part of most story climaxes, and the twist ending is just a specific type of reversal. You can use it or use something else.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Q. How many writers does it take to change a light bulb?

A. Two. One to screw it most of the way in and the second to supply the final surprise twist.

Seriously, a "twist" is one kind of ending. Not the only kind, and not necessarily the best one for your story.

What your climax needs to do is reward the reader for sticking with you all the way to the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.