Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Website
www.cathymcdowell.vpweb.com
Confused on genre.

I see contemporary romance.

Spiritual romance.

Erotica romance.

I write romance. Plain, simple, ordinary every day romance.
Maybe using the word wholesome would help.
No sex is included in my writing.

What is my genre? I say Romance but some publishers have lists and I have no idea what one to use.

Thanks for all the help I know I will receive.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably say contemporary romance - though I'm not too sure what Spiritual Romance is about.

Definately not erotica romance as I think that has to include graphic descriptions of sex

ryanswofford

Registered
Reaction score
Contemporary Romance is a good way of saying it. Or One-Word Title Romance. Depends on how trashy it is! Haha.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write romance. Plain, simple, ordinary every day romance.
As I understand it (admittedly imperfectly!), romance is categorised by subgenres and then, separately, by 'heat' levels.

Subgenres focus on aspects of the setting such as the time period (historical, contemporary, Regency) or character category(African-American, doctor/nurse, paranormal).

Heat levels define how explicit the sex is. "Sweet" generally means no overt sex - they kiss, and then the curtain falls. Erotic romance will feature explicit sex. Christian romance is usually sweet romance, but not all sweet romances are Christian.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Contemporary Romance is a good way of saying it. Or One-Word Title Romance. Depends on how trashy it is! Haha.
Whoa there, tiger. Nobody sets out to write trash, and no commercial genre of fiction is trash. There are writers here on AW whose preferences span the romance genre from sweet Christian romance to erotica and BDSM. None of them would like to see their writing called 'trash'. Please respect your fellow writers.

ryanswofford

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa there, tiger. Nobody sets out to write trash, and no commercial genre of fiction is trash. There are writers here on AW whose preferences span the romance genre from sweet Christian romance to erotica and BDSM. None of them would like to see their writing called 'trash'. Please respect your fellow writers.

Sorry! Totally didn't mean it like that. I sort of meant "trashy" as in...well, I mean, I write trashy sometimes. It just means how, say, "risqué" a piece is. At least that's how I meant it (and how I've heard pieces like that referred to as).

So again, sorry about that. It just came out wrong's all.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I say Romance but some publishers have lists and I have no idea what one to use.
Forgot to say: If you're submitting to a particular publisher, then by all means use their lists! For example, Harlequin would probably categorise your work under "Heartwarming", and they provide contact details for the specific editor for this category.

John342

Registered
Reaction score
If it takes place in the past... even ten years ago, it's historical romance, if it's now its contemporary, if its in the future its science fiction romance.... and the list grows.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sorry! Totally didn't mean it like that. I sort of meant "trashy" as in...well, I mean, I write trashy sometimes. It just means how, say, "risqué" a piece is. At least that's how I meant it (and how I've heard pieces like that referred to as).

So again, sorry about that. It just came out wrong's all.

I write regency romance and knew exactly what you meant. I used to write slash. Hopefully you know what THAT is... lol

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait...sex isn't wholesome?

wholesome = healthful, beneficial, helpful, healing, strengthening, invigorating, stimulating, refreshing.

I guess I'm just not trashy enough in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.