Premium Rush: Feisty heist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
Coming to a theater near you, Premium Rush is an example of how the Hollywood fates can toy with an author years after publication. Joe Quick's story itself would make a great thriller.

Also, there was a Kevin Bacon version in 1986 called Quicksilver with a similar story line.

So, what should I do with my novel with the same plot, different city, mob villains? I swear I had no idea any of these existed. My concept originated in 2009, and as it's unpublished and unsubbed, I could of course change my guy from a bike messenger to a boy scout, but something goes missing there.

Maybe make him a zen master disguised as a punk rocker?

Sheesh!

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. There are lots of stories that have similar premises.

It's the execution, not the originality that will determine whether there's an audience for your story.

While it's true that audiences want fresh stories, an original idea with lousy execution won't sell, whereas a tired idea executed brilliantly often will. Of course it's better to have originality+great execution, but people do like "comfort" stories--books are a lot like something else they've read and enjoyed previously.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Humans are creatures of habit. Accept it.

You can be told that storks deliver babies all your life. But the stork that delivers the baby while riding on a flaming motorcycle with a death-proof basket in the sidecar is more likely the one you're going to want to read about.

Point being, you have a habit of liking tales about storks delivering babies. Especially if it's done in an interesting, well-thrown-together way.

Don't worry about original ideas. There is nothing new under the sun, especially not in 2012. What you need to worry about is how well you pull yours off so that people read it and go:

"WOW! THAT STORY ABOUT THE BIKER MESSENGER GUY IS SMOKIN' AWESOME!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.