List of Agents who take Graphic Novel queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerJones

Unashamed comic book nerd
Registered
Reaction score
Hope it works out and that you kick some ass and take names.

Let us know how it turns out.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Good luck with the project! When you do get to the point where you're looking for an artist, you might try this forum, the posters there generally seem to get a good response.

What kind of style do you have in mind at this point? Any similar graphic novels already out there?

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thank you for the link! I'll add that to my bookmarks.

At the moment, I have in mind a dark, etherial style, not too realistic. If I were to compare it to anything, I would probably compare it to either Vögelein or Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
No problem :) It's one I check out when I'm looking for freelance work. I'll have to take a look at Vögelein; I've never heard of it!

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Big update to the list! One new agent (and agency!), and two agents who have moved homes.

First, Evan Goldfried, previously of William Morris, is now with Jill Grinberg Literary Management. His info is here.

Michelle Andelman, previously of Andrea Brown Literary Agency, is now with Lynn C Franklin, which says she's looking for graphic memoirs. She also has a Twitter account.

New to the list is Natanya Wheeler, of Lowenstein-Yost Associates! She's looking for single title graphic novels, and the site lists genres she likes in general.

There are currently 48 different agencies on the list now! And that's not counting the agencies with multiple agents who accept graphic novel queries. List isn't looking too shabby now, huh! :D

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Another update! There are now FIFTY AGENCIES on this list. Incredible. I never thought I would find that many. Good luck to all querying!

New to the list: Nancy Gallt Literary Agency. No web presence, but the info is backed by a client of theirs.

Also new: Pippin Properties, Inc. I really want to get my hands on David Small's graphic memoir, STITCHES.

The info comes from this blog entry, posted last month by someone who went to the NJ SCBWI. It looks like all the agents and editors who went were given a sheet with ticky boxes to check off what they're interested in.
This is especially important for anyone who already has an agent and is out on submission, because the post lists nine or ten YA editors who are looking for graphic novels! I already sent it on to my agent, and hopefully some of them are new places we can consider.

The site does list a few other agents, but I haven't been able to find any sources that back up whether they represent graphic novels or not. If anyone can confirm that it's true, it'd be much appreciated. In particular, I'm wondering about Jenni Ferrari-Adler (of Brick House), and Scott Treimel NY.

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
Elae: As always - thanks for keeping this up. 50 agents is so impressive - so much more than I ever thought would be out there. It's also encouraging I think that all the editors on that blog link you posted are open to graphic novels. Really encouraging news.

I can't help you out on Adler or Treimel though - but hopefully someone will jump in and confirm for you.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
I know~ I still can't believe there are 50 agencies now... and even more agents, since agencies have 2 or 3 who are open to graphic novels.

I did a quick update and added Maya Rock to the list under Writers House. She just sold a YA graphic novel called PAGE BY PAIGE.

Check out the author's blog for more info. I've added her editor's name to the personal list I'm putting together too. ;)

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Updates! Now 56 different agencies.

Dystel & Goderich Literary Management: Alexandra Brown
http://www.dystel.com/
Lists on their site that she's looking for graphic novels.

McIntosh & Otis, Inc: Edward Necarsulmer IV
http://www.mcintoshandotis.net/
Sold a graphic novel biography of Tupac last year

Venture Literary: Frank R. Scatoni
http://www.ventureliterary.com/
Sales include a graphic retelling of the Gettysburg Address, an adaptation of the Origin of Species, one of the US Constitution, and the 9/11 Report.
All are non-fiction.

Victoria Sanders: Tanya McKinnon
http://www.victoriasanders.com/
Represents Jessica Abel, Sara Varon, others. (she used to be with Mary Evans Agency)

Sanford J. Greenburger Associates: Michael Harriot
http://www.greenburger.com/
Lists on their site that he's looking for graphic novels.

Also, a question! Emily Forland of The Wendy Weil Agency says this in an interview:

GLA: Would you say your MFA in Graphic Design influences your acceptance of art pieces? For example, are you more interested in graphic design books? As well, what topics are you drawn to most in this category? Least?

EF: I am a visual person with an affinity for visual texts (art and design books, picture books, graphic novels, etc.) but have represented very few. Art books can be expensive to produce and challenging to get published, but I am always open to being wowed by a project.

Should I put her on the list? Opinions?

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
Maybe you could put Emily Forland on the list, but have her italicized or something, meaning no graphic novel sales, but background in graphic works? I'd hate for her to not be on the list because she obviously knows about graphic works, but it doesn't sound like she's actively seeking them out...so she maybe needs to be separated out a bit.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
I was leaning towards adding her to the list too. It's enough that she's open to GN queries, even if she may be picky... all agents are picky. I think there are plenty on the list who don't actually have GN clients/sales yet (without a PM account I can't check).

Anyone who's actively querying with a GN project: That should always be something to consider! Not to say that it's a horrible sign if Agent B hasn't sold any, but you may feel more comfortable with someone with a proven track record. On the other hand, an agent who's never sold one may submit more widely and not be afraid of approaching a big range of editors. That's up to you as an individual.

Anyways: She's on there now! That makes 57.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Updates! List is here.

DeFiore and Company: Brian DeFiore (see http://www.webook.com/agent/bdefiore/)

and:
"PJ Mark, formerly an agent and international rights director at McCormick & Williams, will join Janklow & Nesbit Associates in January as an agent, to expand his list of award-winning young talent in fiction, nonfiction, and graphic novels." via Publishers Lunch

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
Wow. I can't believe PJ Mark moved houses. He's a great guy and was very encouraging to me - though ultimately we didn't end up working together on my project (not a graphic novel). I'd recommend him to anyone - he gave me some really amazing feedback in 2007 that ultimately helped me reshape my novel.

As always Elae, thanks for being so awesome about updating this list.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Another agency added to the list!

The Strothman Agency: Lauren MacLeod
http://www.strothmanagency.com/
Twitter: @BostonBookGirl

Looking for: Contemporary young adult & middle grade, narrative nonfiction for young adults, graphic novels, YA Dystopian with strong world-building, YA or MG contemporary romance or chick lit, and adult trade nonfiction on quirky subjects or people. She is currently especially drawn to YA & MG projects with humorous situations or funny characters.

Anyone else have any new names?

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Another update, this time a mixed bag of good and bad.

Dunow, Carlson & Lerner Literary Agency: Jeff Moores has been removed from the list, as he's stopped agenting. I don't know if anyone else at the agency is still taking graphic novel queries.

Dystel & Goderich Literary Management: Alexandra Brown has been removed from the list, as far as I can see she's stopped agenting. I don't know if anyone else at the agency is still taking graphic novel queries.

Prospect Agency: Vivian Chum has been removed from the list, as far as I can see she's stopped agenting. I don't know if anyone else at the agency is still taking graphic novel queries.

Natanya Wheeler is now at the Nancy Yost Literary Agency instead of the Lowenstein Yost agency. I'm assuming she's still accepting GN queries. http://nyliterary.com/

Michelle Brower is now with Folio Literary Management instead of Wendy Sherman Associates, Inc. http://foliolit.com/s-michelle.php

New to the list:
Foundry Literary and Media: Mollie Glick
http://www.foundrymedia.com/
Sold Kelly Roman's graphic novel, The Art of War.

Last edited:

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
elae: I've said it before, and I'll say it again...you're a godsend. Thank you for all the hard work on this list - even AFTER you yourself became agented. You're the best!

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
elae: I've said it before, and I'll say it again...you're a godsend. Thank you for all the hard work on this list - even AFTER you yourself became agented. You're the best!

Just happy to help. I know how much I could have used it when I was querying.

And on that note, a NEW NAME added to the list!

Martin Literary Agency: Bree Ogden
http://www.martinliterarymanagement.com/submissions.htm
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/Sharlene/

Bree emailed me herself to let me know that she's open to graphic novel queries, so if you're looking for an agent who's shown an active interest in new GN clients, check out the links above.

jessegrillofilm

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Niki. Are there any agencies you would recommend that represent both screenwriters and comic book writers? I have a bunch of work in both fields and would like an agent or manager that could help me in both. Thanks!

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Hey Niki. Are there any agencies you would recommend that represent both screenwriters and comic book writers? I have a bunch of work in both fields and would like an agent or manager that could help me in both. Thanks!

Hey Jesse-- I've gotta say that screenwriting is something I know next to nothing about, sorry. I know Objective Entertainment and AEI do both, but other than that, your best bet is probably just to go down the list and see if the agency websites mention film/tv. http://objectiveent.com/Sorry not to be of more help!

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
List updated!

Andrew Brown Literary Agency- Jamie Weiss Chilton
"Her recent sales include [...] BAD FOR YOU, a graphic novel by co-creators Kevin C. Pyle and Scott Cunningham (Holt)."

She also talks a bit more about graphic novels (and this client in particular) in this interview, down at the bottom.

(I don't know how I missed her before!)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Got a few more, on the basis of "Please Send"s to my GN query:

Andrea Somberg of Harvey Klinger
Tamar Rydzinski of Laura Dail
Eleanor Jackson of Markson Thoma
Sandy Lu of L. Perkins
Claire Gerus

possible Robin Mizell? She responded with "Please send materials in accordance with submission guidelines on my website," which may have simply been "Follow directions, sillyhead!"

(by the way, Claire Gerus said No Thanks)

And one more thing! Farley Chase of Waxman Agency is strictly a non-fiction man.

Last edited:

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Thanks for keeping us updated, Miss Plum! And congrats on all the requests. I hope one of them ends up coming through.

Seems like a lot of agents have joined (and some have left) AgentInbox since I last went through looking for graphic novel mentions. The site listings are put together by the agents themselves, so I'm trusting the interest in GNs is definitely there.

New to the list!
Tamar Rydzinski of Laura Dail - According to the agency site, "he is interested in everything else that is well-written and has great characters, including graphic novels."

Eleanor Jackson of Markson Thoma - Seems she used to be a member of AgentInbox, where she listed that she was open to GN queries. Here's a cache of the site. Anyone know of anything more solid/up-to-date?

Miriam Altshuler - Her AgentInbox page lists GNs. Anyone know more?

Diana Finch - Her AgentInbox page lists GNs. Anyone know more?

Dawn Michelle Frederick of Red Sofa Literary- Her AgentInbox page says "I love YA/Juvenile Novels and Graphic Novels. I'll need a 1-2 page synopsis, along with sample chapters and/or art." Her blog specifies "Graphic Novels - No manga please." This entry talks about her appreciation of the medium.

Scott Gould of RLR Associates - His AgentInbox page lists GNs. Anyone know more?

Elizabeth Harding of Curtis Brown, Ltd - Her AgentInbox page lists GNs. Anyone know more?
Uncertain via Miss Plum's list, not yet added:
Sandy Lu of L. Perkins - Have found no sign of her wanting GNs or having sold one. HOWEVER-- this interview from January 2010 with the L. Perkins Agency mentions an agent named Max Ximenez who "will be handling comic books and graphic novels". I've found absolutely nothing about an agent with that name, and he's not mentioned in the agency's thread here at AW. Any feedback?
Names I didn't add from Miss Plum's list:
Andrea Somberg of Harvey Klinger - I couldn't find any mention of her looking for GNs or having sold one; I'd rather use those as my guidelines for this list than just the knowledge that she'll take queries. If she takes you on, of course, I'll add her. ;)

Claire Gerus - Same here.

Robin Mizell - I haven't added her because she's made no sales as an agent. I heard about her a while ago but I'd rather make sure she's 100% legit first.
Removed from list:
FinePrint Literary Management/Colleen Lindsay has been removed from the list. She's no longer representing graphic novels or taking queries for them.
Know of any more updates? Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.