The Walking Dead - AMC

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Did anyone else find similarities between the old man and his two daughters -- one who's friendlier and one who's on guard with everyone -- in their home and Herschel, Beth, and Maggie? Or maybe that was just me.

Yep. I even thought that Lilly is kinda sorta similar physically to Maggie (TV version, not comics version). Remembering what happened with the Guv and Maggie last season makes that...interesting.

I thought both daughters acted ridiculously. His PTSD was good, I thought, but it should have been a massive heads up to the daughters. I didn't think the episode was boring, but I was stunned it was a two-parter.

I kept waiting for him to say, "Call me Snake." :D

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
And one more thing...

They seem to be on a tear in this season to have one lingeringly featured gross-out per episode - of which I approve. The special effects are top notch and, ahem, rather stay with you after the credits roll. Kudos.

But this week, the latex and Karo-syrup guys set up the Governor to tear out a walker's throat with his bare hands. The oog was up to par, so no complaints there. But there was a logic fail. Pulling out the zombie's voice box may have made it a little quieter in the pit, but it wouldn't go very far in the way of neutralizing the threat of the thing. And at least when it's groaning, you can hear it struggling up off the ground to have a nibble at your whatever.

I don't understand why they did that.

No support for the head. Snapping jaws aren't all that dangerous if they're aimed downward and lack the musculature/strength to lift up and take a bite out of someone.

Sort of like the legless zombie from the first(second?) episode that crawled along the ground endlessly until Rick put it out of its misery. Until Rick killed it, it wasn't "dead," but it was effectively no danger to the wary.

Plus, like you said, the oog factor.

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
Yep. I even thought that Lilly is kinda sorta similar physically to Maggie (TV version, not comics version). Remembering what happened with the Guv and Maggie last season makes that...interesting.

I thought both daughters acted ridiculously. His PTSD was good, I thought, but it should have been a massive heads up to the daughters. I didn't think the episode was boring, but I was stunned it was a two-parter.

Haven't read the comics, but I actually liked this episode. I always like seeing the character of villains delved into more, particularly when some of their actions show a less villainous side. It makes for a more complex character.

Spotted the "Maggie" similarity as well. That actress looks very much like Maggie, which as you said, is interesting for a number of reasons.

Is the Governor making an attempt at redemption, or is he just psychologically drawn to her because of the events back at Woodbury? And of course, now he's got another little girl to care for.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
She looks, acts AND talks very similarly to Maggie. I found that to be kind of weird. I wouldn't go for such casting unless the character was supposed to be a long-lost relative of Maggie's or something. I don't get it.

That said, I was actually more interested in this episode than the few before it. I'm not super into the governor, but I was pleased to see some real human interaction vs him just showing up to kill everyone and be the scary bad guy.

Either way, I still think the pacing sucks this season. Why did they leave us hanging on what happened with Carol? SO SO ANNOYING. If they don't address the it next episode I'm going to be pretty displeased.

I feel like the same thing is happening here that happened on LOST: They get us all into one storyline and then completely drop it for like 5 episodes to focus on other characters. I realize that's the difficulty with a story involving a huge cast, but they could do better.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Why did they leave us hanging on what happened with Carol? SO SO ANNOYING. If they don't address the it next episode I'm going to be pretty displeased.

The the trailer for this Sunday's ep didn't look like they left room for that. Having this dangling for three weeks is, to me, bad theater. It ends up feeling less like suspense and more like they're holding a plot point hostage, which is entirely not the same thing. And the ransom is being forced to sit through other stuff - not exactly kind as a starting point for said other stuff.

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I finally caught up on this episode last night and I'm torn. Like others, I found the beginning a bit boring. I thought it was half-way through, paused it, and was shocked to see I was still at the beginning. It did pick up, though, by the end.

One can argue the girls were stupid, but on the other hand, they hadn't had much experience with outsiders so maybe they didn't know how crazy people had gotten? Maybe they just wanted other human interaction?

As much as I hate the Governor and am sick of his story-line, I do like what the writers have done with his character. Going from crazy, to a sort of mental break in realizing what he's done, to trying to get back to the man he used to be, to being confronted by his past again, makes for an interesting arc.

Does anyone else see parallels between the Governor and Carol? They both started as much more meek people, they both have this draw toward children, they both had a break in morals. I wonder if that's why they added the interlude in the middle of the Carol story-line. Carol was mostly concerned with Sophia at the beginning, and when she lost her she kind of snapped. Then she is basically kicked out because she starts to act a bit like the Governor in taking people's lives without remorse. Her main concern when Rick kicked her out was leaving behind the two girls. The Governor's main concern was trying to bring back his daughter Penny. When he lost her, he completely snapped. Now he's trying to come back and act less like "the Governor." His main concern is now the little girl, Megan.

I don't know, it feels like the writers are drawing connections between their stories, but it could just be me.

I don't want to spend another full episode on the Governor, but I am interested to see how it ties in. I'm really hoping it does come full circle to Carol, but that may be wishful thinking, haha.

Yes!

Also, Chris Hardwick is a frickin' trooper.

And YES! I couldn't have done it. When my dad died a couple years ago, I couldn't do much of anything. I didn't go back to work for three months, so Chris Hardwick has ALL my admiration right now.

Last edited:

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Did anybody else think the voice over in the beginning was Carol?

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
I still think it is. They never actually showed that it was one of the women did they?

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed that episode much better than the last. I was still a bit annoyed (but only because I thought they were going to drag it out for another episode). The next episode looks exciting and I think quite a few predictions in this thread are about to happen.

also... I never for one second believed he had changed and part of my annoyance last week was because I thought the writers were going to go that direction (which was absurd because this man doesn't get redemption). On one hand i was sad to see Martinez go but I was, in a way, cheering when the Governor came back in full swing (pun intended).

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am, I think again, on the opposite side. Didn't like where tonight's episode went and yet I loved last week. It's like a flashback that happens right after the event. "Hey remember that whole plot line we ran into the ground last season? You do? Good, cause we're doing it again."

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
I am, I think again, on the opposite side. Didn't like where tonight's episode went and yet I loved last week. It's like a flashback that happens right after the event. "Hey remember that whole plot line we ran into the ground last season? You do? Good, cause we're doing it again."

For many fans of the comic (and the show) what's about to happen is what they have been waiting for. The second assault on the prison (I don't count the first with the van of walkers). I think this is the writers way of forcing them out of the prison because they really need to get a move on but there is no motivation currently to do so.

I do agree on the surface and without knowing too much it seems repetitive. But if there are actual consequences as opposed to last years lame-ish finale, then I think it's well worth it. Especially if the events in the comic unfold.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
A bit of a headscratcher this week, but the last two minutes made it better than last Sunday for me. The more I watch David Morrissey, the more I think it's how he acts the part that ruins it for me. I also didn't care for the flashback setup, and it certainly didn't do any favors for the last bit where it took a while to unravel that they left and came back and that the whole end sequence wasn't another flashback.

Anyway, next week looks on the incendiary side, so it should be exciting.

Last edited:

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it was a great episode. And I think that when he told Lily they had to leave because things were going to get bad, he meant he knew he was going to start killing people. Poor Martinez...should've grabbed the kid and killed the Governor in the pit.

Can't wait til the next episode. Wonder how closely they'll follow the comics... I just hope it's not a let down.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. I guess I'm the eternal optimist who wanted the Governor to turn a new leaf. :rolleyes: I mean I knew he wouldn't, but I can't help liking the idea. I liked last night's episode, but I detested the ending. Not. This. Again. This plot line=:deadhorse I understand why they're doing it, but I think it would have been better to come up with a different reason to make them leave the prison. Also, I was disappointed that my new eye candy's life span was only 30 minutes. :tongue

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
"Hey remember that whole plot line we ran into the ground last season? You do? Good, cause we're doing it again."

My thoughts exactly. I'm pretty over it, at this point. I was much more excited to see the Governor become a better man.

The more I watch David Morrissey, the more I think it's how he acts the part that ruins it for me.

*stares off into the distance for a long time and thinks dark thoughts about life* (repeat this every few minutes) = the Governor.

Spoilers:

Me watching the episode:

"I really love Martinez! I hope he's finally going to have a bigger role now! He's so sexy, and cute, and he's such a good man, and... and... uh..oh...... well shit." :(

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Now, my love for The Walking Dead may be wobbly, but it's true. So, I'll brook no talk of me being fickle. It's not infidelity if I enjoyed the hell out of this "trailer". (Spoilers abound)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxvo8AcpQQ

Haha. :) I hadn't seen that. I agree with everything except the part about season 2. That was by far my favorite season. I dislike the constant action... I liked the slower pace of that season and the character development that took place. I'm more a fan of the soap opera than the zombies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I really liked Season 2, too. I mean, the portrayal in the video was pretty funny, but I really enjoyed those episodes. I think Shane was one of the most fascinating characters I'd come across in a long while.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, finally got to catch up with the last two weeks, and I thought those were really interesting episodes! It oddly tied in to a discussion my hubby & I have been having about villains (in general) who do good things with their villainy, and therefore are they still villains?

Also, my hubby would like to know "Why is the roof effing leaking when there is no rain????"