NaNo 2012 Word Count Madness!

Mirth

Registered
Reaction score
6k and... decreasing!!

I have an important exam on November 25 and not much time or brains to anything else, except a well-deserved procrastination time.

After this I will have FIVE days to finish a novel. Did I mention that this is my first novel? :Guitar:

I'll have to hit 8.8k every day, so I'm wondering...

...is that even possible? Anyone else here going through this?

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I just got the weirdest idea for a novella from the latest pep talk. My brain scares me sometimes. :Wha:

Oh and I wrote 1,765 words today. :D

Last edited:

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just passed the 35,000 mark today, so I think I'm going to make it this year. But I've had so many second thoughts, better ideas, and just plain cliche stuff I've kept pushing to the bottom, I don't know if I'll ever be able to make sense of this later!

vitani

The Tobermory Hamster
Registered
Reaction score
Was doing great today until I discovered the trailers for Les Miserables.

I'm now too excited to write. Nearly at 25k.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
6k and... decreasing!!

I have an important exam on November 25 and not much time or brains to anything else, except a well-deserved procrastination time.

After this I will have FIVE days to finish a novel. Did I mention that this is my first novel? :Guitar:

I'll have to hit 8.8k every day, so I'm wondering...

...is that even possible? Anyone else here going through this?

Yes, it is possible. Last year I wrote 10k per day for 5 days, took a day off, then wrote 10k on day 7 bringing me to 60k.

I, however, would not advise this tactic to everyone. After that week, I didn't write again for over 6 months.

But I'm in a similar boat, Mirth. I have an exam on the 24th. I'm only intending to finish a WIP which is 2/3 done already, though. And it's a short novel, so I'll have about 20-25k to write in 6 days.

Aiming for 4k a day. I know I can do that and not get burnt out like I did with the 10k days.

Good luck on your exam and with your novel!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
35k and looking forward to my first weekend off work! Writing, here I come! :D

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
122k and finished. I will probably devote the rest of NaNo to polishing it. I'm not one who likes to let the draft sit forever. I might also start another book, though I won't intend to finish it by the end of the month.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Good work!

I'm about halfway through my 22 lectures... It's sooooo boring! I mean, I could *listen* to the lectures that were given (I attended anyway) and that'd be more interesting, but that would kill my download limit. So I'm reading the (mostly sparse) notes on the slides.

It'd be better if I knew what to expect from the exam, but I've never taken a sociology exam before. This is a 1st-year topic...

I feel like I know a fair amount of the material but yeah, not sure what the exam questions will be like.

Off I go to read more...

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritinglifeforme.blogspot.com

I always feel a bit like I'm cheating since I'm a Rebel and work on various projects at once. But it's the only way it's worked for me so far. :)

Jiloa

On Purpose
Registered
Reaction score
50,156 *exhausted but finished*

The story still has another 50k to go, but I'm not going to think about that right now...

Mirth

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible. Last year I wrote 10k per day for 5 days, took a day off, then wrote 10k on day 7 bringing me to 60k.

I, however, would not advise this tactic to everyone. After that week, I didn't write again for over 6 months.

But I'm in a similar boat, Mirth. I have an exam on the 24th. I'm only intending to finish a WIP which is 2/3 done already, though. And it's a short novel, so I'll have about 20-25k to write in 6 days.

Aiming for 4k a day. I know I can do that and not get burnt out like I did with the 10k days.

Good luck on your exam and with your novel!

Hey, thank you for the good luck wishes, Cliff Face. I like your posts. :cool:

Wow, what made you write this fast in the first week of Nano?

My novel is a short one too. I never wrote 8k in one day, however... and I kinda want to try it. :box: But I think I should try to write at least 500 words a day until the exam. It will help me to stay interested and less burnt out in the end. :D

I hope this won't make me stop writing. I've never felt so motivated.

Good luck to you too!

Ellielle

needs something clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
After a really slow few days, I broke 40k today. I'm still behind where I wanted to be, but I was happy to get ~4k done today. I'm hoping this'll be the end of the slump I was in.

Congrats to all of you who have finished!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what made you write this fast in the first week of Nano?

Well, I'm crazy, basically. :tongue (And actually, it was *2* years ago, not last year! Whoops!)

But yeah, I had just outlined a trilogy, and figured each book would be 80k. I was initially aiming to write just the first one... Then I challenged myself to write all 3. Then I upped it to 10k a day regardless, just to see if I could do it.

And yeah... While I won in 5 days, I stopped writing at 60k. I didn't even finish the first novel until about 3 months ago, because I was just burnt out on writing.

Like I said - wouldn't recommend it. :tongue

I have yet to start the other 2 in that series. They're on the backburner while I get some other projects finished. This year, I'm a lot busier than when I did that crazy week, so just aiming to finish 20-25k.

(In December I'll edit 2 novels, then hopefully write 60-65k of #3 in this (different than the other one) series in January. Being at Uni, I don't have a lot of time for writing during the year. Gotta make the most of my break!)

Mirth

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm crazy, basically. :tongue (And actually, it was *2* years ago, not last year! Whoops!)

But yeah, I had just outlined a trilogy, and figured each book would be 80k. I was initially aiming to write just the first one... Then I challenged myself to write all 3. Then I upped it to 10k a day regardless, just to see if I could do it.

And yeah... While I won in 5 days, I stopped writing at 60k. I didn't even finish the first novel until about 3 months ago, because I was just burnt out on writing.

Like I said - wouldn't recommend it. :tongue

I have yet to start the other 2 in that series. They're on the backburner while I get some other projects finished. This year, I'm a lot busier than when I did that crazy week, so just aiming to finish 20-25k.

(In December I'll edit 2 novels, then hopefully write 60-65k of #3 in this (different than the other one) series in January. Being at Uni, I don't have a lot of time for writing during the year. Gotta make the most of my break!)

You tried to write a trilogy during Nano? That's the spirit! Don't think you're crazy at all. (actually I do :D)

The craziest thing I've done in writing was to begin a 100k novel when I was 13 and didn't know a thing about the craft. Failed miserably. Couldn't write again until... last year. haha

Poor story is still there waiting for me...

Next month I'll try to stick with 1k every day, even when I'm busy or tired. I think it's a good number.

I should be writing my 500 words now. :eek:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Mirth: The craziest thing I've done in writing was to begin a 100k novel when I was 13 and didn't know a thing about the craft.
Hi Mirth, should I say welcome? What the hay, Welcome to aye-dub. I typed a novel (yeah, on a Smith-Corona, single space, 197 pgs.) at the age of 18. It was bad. There were pirates in it. One was named Red Eye. Seriously.

Oh, man.

This NaNo business is getting in my craw, or maybe my panties are getting in a bunch, or maybe they're in my craw, I don't know. . . my point is, I ain't gonna make it. I know it. So what I'm going to do is keep plugging along. But for everyone who is halfway there or almost there, getting there or already there, Good deal, guys. Carry on. :)

Last edited:

vitani

The Tobermory Hamster
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly at 26k. I'm determined to get caught up to 30k by the end of tomorrow.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Congratulations to all the winners so far! :)

I ended up at 53k last night. I figure I still have about 10-15k to go to wrap this novel up, and NaNo gave me enough inspiration to start on the sequel as well, although I'm not sure about it. I may work on some other stuff first.

Yay!