Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure they would "kill" the gator? I am from Florida where gators can run amok. Even if they do end up somewhere dangerous (like a pool), they don't kill them.

Yes, they often do. :e2bummed: It depends on whether they're classified as a nuisance or not. Most often, it's the humans who're the nuisances.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another amazing sketch, Tep. Are you an illustrator by profession? Because you could make big bucks selling your artwork. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Someone suggested I post this image again, for old times sake..

SKcarriedaway.jpg
That one's a classic and should be posted more often. :D

Are you sure they would "kill" the gator? I am from Florida where gators can run amok. Even if they do end up somewhere dangerous (like a pool), they don't kill them. They just remove them to a local river or other water source where the fact that it is a gator area is clearly marked. While thinking the gator would kill a child is pretty remote, it could kill a pet which can be pretty awful (my pets are my kids). If the gator doesn't move on soon, (which it will if it doesn't find a mate), manual relocation will be his best option.

Yes, they often do. :e2bummed: It depends on whether they're classified as a nuisance or not. Most often, it's the humans who're the nuisances.
Jude is correct. Alligators considered a threat to people and/or property in the state of Florida are routinely euthanized by a bullet to the head, usually by a licensed trapper. Juvenile gators, those under three feet long, are relocated. The larger animals are often deemed a nuisance and disposed of, even if they've done nothing wrong, when only a single person reports that they felt threatened by the animal.

You said that where you live in Florida, "gators can run amok." Of course they can, as long as no one complains about them. My fear for Charlie is that if someone wants him removed from this area bad enough, as in killed, all they'd have to do is claim they felt threatened by him, whether it was true or not. And it will happen eventually, I fear, as he grows bigger and appears more menacing while going about the business of his survival.

I have my own ideas about relocating Charlie to a safer location. It involves a little help, a sizable bribe, a long road trip and a few laws broken; but if all goes according to plan will be worth the risk. And that's all I have to say about that, for now...

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have my own ideas about relocating Charlie to a safer location. It involves a little help, a sizable bribe, a long road trip and a few laws broken; but if all goes according to plan will be worth the risk. And that's all I have to say about that, for now...

I'll help! I'll help! :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'll help! I'll help! :)
Good! Maybe we can split the funds toward paying for the bribe part of the plan. :D

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure the move will happen soon. I wasn't going to mention it until after the fact; but now that it's out, you'd think I'd be concerned about revealing such things on a public message board. Well I'm not in the least. And whatever the consequences, I will stay true to doing what I feel is right in this case.

On a different note, I visited a bird rookery by boat recently and spied these two great blues along the way: :)

12-18-12038-SM-2.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know you're probably joking, but I'd totally contribute to a "Save Charlie Bribe" Fund.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Another amazing sketch, Tep. Are you an illustrator by profession? Because you could make big bucks selling your artwork. :)

No, I'm not. Just a hobby artist. Though someone I know wanted to commission me to draw a picture of their daughters, I guess my fee must have been too high for their liking. They were going to email me a few photos a week ago for me to choose from but once they learned of my fee, I never got the email nor heard back from them. People just expect me to draw them purdy pictures for free, not realizing it takes me hours and days to draw something as professional looking as I do. I think $100 for a 9x12 one-of-a-kind, hand-drawn piece of art on professional grade paper is worth it. I may even be chincing myself a little on the price, but since I knew the person I wasn't going to over-charge. Now I will never offer to do work for that person again.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tep, that is seriously underpriced. I know illustrators who aren't as talented as you who can make $500-$1000 per piece..

Dino, I agree. That's a great composition, and Charlie looks like he's glancing back to see what you're up to..

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Tep, that is seriously underpriced. I know illustrators who aren't as talented as you who can make $500-$1000 per piece..

Gee, I guess I must have been chincing myself by a lot. I've never done commission work before, and since people around here want everything for nothing, I thought $100 wouldn't be bad, get my foot in the door sort of, maybe word of mouth about how good of a job I do would get me more work and gradually up my prices as more work comes and my time more limited. I would love to draw (and write) for a living. I suppose I need to make more art and get it in a gallery somewhere. I need to find connections.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I think $100 for a 9x12 one-of-a-kind, hand-drawn piece of art on professional grade paper is worth it. I may even be chincing myself a little on the price, but since I knew the person I wasn't going to over-charge. Now I will never offer to do work for that person again.
For a mere $100, they'd be fortunate if you had agreed to a single, simple photo portrait, let alone a drawing.

People like that expect you to work for free or next to nothing and are surprised when they discover you value your talent far more than they are willing to pay. If I were you, I wouldn't even look at their daughters for under $300 or more for a paid commission.

ETA: Cross-posted with swachski, who is on the same page.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You should do some research online for Illustrator's websites... and get some national or even international recognition... seriously..

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I don't really know what to say, except I didn't think my work would be worth so much. I think I seriously need to start looking into this. Where to begin?

Also, that drawing I did of Oscar Wilde? I asked my boyfriend what he thought it would be worth. (I valued it myself at around $250-300, but I always under-value myself, obviously.) He told me if I were to sell it, $50, maybe $100 at the most. I laughed and said, is that all you value my work at? But he knows less than I do when it comes to this sort of thing. I guess I need to visit an art gallery and see how much art is going for what and where.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
That particular would-have-been customer did see that drawing, albeit the photograph I posted all over the internet and not the original which looks better in person, and still...

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tep, if you want to pursue a career, and I think you have the talent for it, I'd go with commercial illustration. Corporations and publishers have a better budget than private clients would. And Dino's right, show off that amazing Oscar Wilde illustration!

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I guess I need to get busy filling up my portfolios and start doing some serious researching. I'm glad you and SK think highly of my talent. I needed the little pick me up. I've been pretty down lately (but no need to get into that discussion). Also, I was thinking, if I ever get around to getting some oil paints, I'd like to paint one of your photos, SK, one of your egret photos you posted a few days ago flying over the water with the lily pads. If you wouldn't mind.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
There are some great photos on here this week [which there always are, but I've been MIA writing the last couple days]

Awesome guys!

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
SK, love that photo of Charlie. It's too bad we all live in different parts of the world. Saving him could be a class trip.:)

And Tepelus, add my voice to those encouraging you to make some money off your sketches. You'd be a fantastic illustrator.

We need to start posting art and photo contests for all the talented people on this thread to enter. Surely, there are cash prizes out there.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I love the Charlie picture and that precious little heron, SK!

As far as rescuing Charlie, :e2cheer:. :D

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Since Christmas is tomorrow, I figured this would be appropriate to post:

bunnyinbox2.jpg

This was taken a few years ago. This bunny took a liking to one of our lighted Christmas presents. He hung out in that thing everyday for about week. Then he proceeded to chew the wires before leaving. I guess he had to leave his mark somehow.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all those celebrating.

And Charlie, too. :)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cute bunny pic, LV!

on that note, I'm happy to announce a new addition to our crew!

1356380237.jpg

She's a Felmish Giant and is only about 8 weeks old and very curious and friendly!
She'll probably get to be 17-22lbs or so. We're still deciding on a name...right now it's between Clover & Jersey.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Can't believe it's taken me 3000 posts to find this thread!

In Guyana we have hundreds, if not thousands, of Caimans, which are smaller than gators. When I went to visit my friends in the interior we took some boat trips trough the jungle and we saw countless ones near the shore, spashing into the water, lazing on the riverbanks. Lots of baby ones, too. On the way back home it was night and the river was dark -- but you could see thousands of cayman eyes shining through the blackness!
I have lots and lots of animal photos and videos from my two Guyana trips this year. I'd love to post them on this thread -- if only I can figure out how to transfer them from my old laptop to this new one.
The friends I mentioned earlier are the new caretakers for the nature resort belonging to Diane McTurk, who is world famous for her work rescuing baby giant otters and setting them free in the wild. She is now in her 80's and going strong. She has so many stories to tell of life in Guyana's interior - stories of birds and jaguars and anteaters...

(and now I have to go back and read the thread...)