Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Hey, K.Taylor - saw a pic recently that has a cool story behind it. It's a shot that you can only capture 1 day a year when the light is bouncing off the hills just right - the reflection in the water + the hills themselves make an image of a praying adult and child. I'll have to see if I can find it again and post it here. Anyway, knowing it can only be captured at that specific time made me think of the shot you described.

That's very cool.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
A rare sighting for me today of a Florida sandhill crane, a juvenile. From a distance I thought it was a wood stork approaching and casually raised the camera, then was dumbstruck and nearly blew the shot as the bird came into range:

3-27-13053-SM-2_zps115b6eb6.jpg

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tried to post this earlier but my computer was being stupid.

I think these are crocuses, trying to open up and announce it's spring:

crocuses_zps0a2e953f.jpg

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
A rare sighting for me today of a Florida sandhill crane, a juvenile. From a distance I thought it was a wood stork approaching and casually raised the camera, then was dumbstruck and nearly blew the shot as the bird came into range:
Then we were both lucky: You were able to photograph a rarely-sighted bird in your area, and I was able to see the photograph of it.

Tried to post this earlier but my computer was being stupid.

That is beautiful. Love the color!

Thanks for sharing, SK and rhymegirl. :)

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, SK!

Rhymegirl, yup those are crocuses. Thanks for posting that - we don't get them down here & I haven't seen them since I lived in Michigan. :D

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great sandhill crane photo, Dino! Our sandhills are just starting to migrate back to this area. They have a very distinctive call, and you can hear them while they are flying overhead. Whenever I hear the call, I crane (yes, pun intended) my neck skyward to see them, but they usually fly so high they are just specks in the sky.

Nice crocuses, RG. It's always fun to see them pop through the snow..

I exchanged some curious glances with a couple deer today... shot one (photo, that is... hehe)

Deerpic_zpscb8df66d.jpg

...and spotted the remains of someone's lunch..

Feathers_zps510ec364.jpg

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Great deer photo, Swachski.

I also love how you took something as simple as a bunch of feathers, altered the angle of the shot, and changed the whole perspective of the scene. Very cool!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
A rare sighting for me today of a Florida sandhill crane, a juvenile.

Nice! Are they really rare there? We have a pack of 'em living here. And it's baby season! They're awfully cute. :) There're two pairs that spend most of their time in my neighborhood and we often have to wait for them to cross the road while we're walking the dog.

Oh, how pretty!

They have a very distinctive call

You're being kind. They sound like unhinged dinosaurs. :D

Gorgeous shots!

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
changed the whole perspective of the scene. Very cool!

That's what's known around here as "Coyote-eye" view! :D

Swachski, I love how your deer is blending in so beautifully with the background. The gray/whitish hair on its back seems like a remnant of winter.

SK, I had to go look at some other pictures of the sandhill crane because the eye-thing was kind of freaky. I realize now that those are just red feathers but the way you captured it from below, your guy looks like he might be a nice character in a SF/F. Or Men In Black!

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
You're being kind. They sound like unhinged dinosaurs. :D

:roll:
And I thought peacocks were bad 'cause they sound like someone screaming bloody murder. :D

Great shots, swachski!

I may have to show that deer one to a couple folks around here. We have something nicknamed dog deer, 'cause that's about how big they get. The first time I saw them here, there were several the size of fawns in Michigan, then saw the 6 point rack on one and realized it was full grown. I had to laugh!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I exchanged some curious glances with a couple deer today... shot one (photo, that is... hehe)

Deerpic_zpscb8df66d.jpg
I really like this picture. Deer always seems to wear that alert look. I'd love to get a pic or two of the deer hanging around my neighborhood, especially one of them eating out my neighbor's bird feeders. But I only ever see them on my way to work when it's still dark outside.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I took some swan pics the other day but they didn't come out that good. Since the weather is nicer now I'll keep trying.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
It took me a while, but I finally made my way through the entire thread and I must say, the photos and drawings are amazing! So are the stories. Thanks to all who contribute to this thread! And thanks, L.Y. for suggesting going through the whole thread - it is well worth it!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is well worth it. I've been through the whole thing at least three times now. I love looking at all the photos and artwork and there's always a story in SK's photos, really amazing stuff.

In the next few days I'll have to go back through and see what I've missed since I've been gone and I'll enjoy every minute of it. :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I went to the Aviary again this weekend and capture more birds. I'll post some picture a little later today.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
As promised:

baldeaglehead.jpg

grayblack.jpg

macaws.jpg

pelicanj.jpg

cutthroatho.jpg

whitepigeon.jpg

And my absolute favorite:

flamingohead.jpg

These are just some of the pictures I have.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Oooh, what's the one between the dove and the pelican? Such cool feathers. And I love how you've captured expressions, especially the macaws. I think the blue one was inviting you in for a drink. ;)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Lady, they're beautiful! What great shots. I love that little finch. Such delicate toes. :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Spring has sprung and I've moved to downtown in the little city, and I'm ten miles closer to the Big City. I got a few pics of the flowers and trees right outside the back door, but this new battery for my flipcam doesn't seem to hold a charge. So much for that eBay seller.

I expect to post a pic or two later, maybe I'll even catch that squirrel that's living in the wall and ceiling of the laundry room and has chewed a hole in the ceiling and is "storing" a nest in it.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
LadyV, your photos made my day. Thanks for sharing. :)