Pros/Cons of publishing same novel on multiple platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Outlaw_Torn

California Lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Basically, I'm just asking if publishing the same novel on different platforms all at the same time is possible? And what are the pros and cons?

So far, some tell me that publishing one novel (or even a short-story collection) on Smashwords, Kindle, iTunes, and Google Play can be done. If that is the case, then I would like to know what sort of problems I might have to deal with if I ever take this route.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
There's really no harm in making your reach as wide as possible, unless you want take advantage of KDP Select. In that case, your book has to be exclusive to KDP for 90 days. As far as the timing, you can submit them all at the same time, but each channel will have different processing times.

The only issue I've seen is with Google Play, because they can and do arbitrarily lower prices. After that, Amazon will price-match and you could end up with significantly lower royalties.

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
I don't publish ebooks, so these are just off the top of my head ideas-
The big pro is that more avenues = more exposure. If you are new to writing, this can be a good thing. It helps get your name out.
I think one con is the hassle of logging into the different account to check sales, and having to work through each platform's standards for putting up a book, payment, and the like. I'm assuming that these sites aren't uniform in how they handle those activities.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
A good friend of mine originally published several of hers through different avenues and she eventually just switched to Amazon KDP. She did this for two reasons: 1) it was so much easier to keep up with them as she was having a hard time keeping track of them that way. 2) She found she made as much or more money with them just in KDP Select alone than when they were spread out all together.

But as for me personally, I have no experience with anything other than KDP Select.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Basically, I'm just asking if publishing the same novel on different platforms all at the same time is possible? And what are the pros and cons?

So far, some tell me that publishing one novel (or even a short-story collection) on Smashwords, Kindle, iTunes, and Google Play can be done. If that is the case, then I would like to know what sort of problems I might have to deal with if I ever take this route.

Publishing several places at once is how most people do it. There are no cons. It's a good thing to have your book available in a variety of places.

If you opt for KDP Select, you could reap great rewards at Amazon, but you can't have the book up anywhere else. It's a viable option, especially since you only have to be exclusive for 90 days. You can then publish it everywhere else.

The only problem you might have to deal with if you publish everywhere at once is Google Play discounting your book and Amazon price-matching. Probably won't happen unless it's a hit seller at Google, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.