Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Illene

Lurking in the dark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.darknesshaunts.com
I actually prefer first person over third, particularly in UF. The main reason being I want to be deep in the main character's head experiencing everything with her. Plus the voice comes out so much clearer if it's written well. Most authors do not do this well for me in third and I give up on them quickly (Stacia, I will say you are an exception to the rule).

In the end, though, it isn't my preferences or anyone else's here that matter so much as the individual author's. They have to decide for themselves which POV works best for their story. As many have said, if it's written well enough the readers won't care either way.

psyche_13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jessicapeter1.blogspot.com
I know I'm resurrecting an(other) old thread, but I'm on a third versus first person kick right now.

I read and enjoy both third person and first person - as long as both are "deep". I think if you're finding that third person doesn't get you intimate enough with the characters, the author just isn't going deep enough. . . which is okay for some genres, but I don't think it quite fits with urban fantasy these days. I do find that I can barely read other genres (like traditional fantasy) anymore, since the POV isn't deep enough in people's heads for me now.

And Kelley Armstrong does first person/multiple perspectives with some of the later books in the Women of the Otherworld series (chapter by chapter). It was done well, but still, I just don't like that set-up. I find it off-putting.

Status
Not open for further replies.