Not open for further replies.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
AT LAST!

After a setback involving a motorcycle accident and several weeks of pain, I'm back on track! And what's more...

My first novel releases today!

Kindle Edition is available now on Amazon, and the hardback will follow on Aug 26th, assuming I have no more issues with the printing, and assuming another SUV doesn't rail into me.

Thank you all for your support, advice, critiques, and words of wisdom! I'm so excited!

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Here's a more in depth report:

In May I was involved in a motorcycle accident, which left me laid up for about 6 weeks. My mother bought me Dragon Speech, because apparently I was high on pain meds and kept talking about how I needed to get started on writing the second book in my series. But being high on pain meds does not actually grant one the ability to to write very well, and what did come out of it was quite ridiculous.
So, lesson learned: can't dictate first drafts when incapacitated and impaired.

When I was nearly recovered, I finished revising and formatting both versions of Shade. I'm awaiting the 2nd proof copy of the hardback from Ingram Spark right now. If all goes as planned, it should release on August 26th.
I was surprised by how easy it was to upload to Amazon. I spent hours and hours formatting the doc, converting it to epub, testing, reformatting, and reconverting, before I realized that I could simply set it all up in Word and upload it, and Amazon could convert it in a better format.
I'm enrolled in KDP Select for 90 days (I know). Got the website set up, started a blog, and I'm on GoodReads. So we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: I'm also working on getting reviews. I've got a few requests submitted, and I'll be going with Kirkus and a couple others with my next paycheck. Thinking about doing a free promotion through KDP.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Revan. I hope you're getting better now. That must have been awful. It's good to have you back.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Glad you are getting better. Talk about authors having to overcome obstacles. Wow.
I love that gadget you have in your siggy. What a great idea. Following you on twitter. :)

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Thank you. I've recovered quite well, and it wasn't as horrific as you'd think, as it happened so fast and then pain pills were involved. The bad part is the frustration of lying around when you know there's something you need to be doing.

I love that gadget you have in your siggy.
Thanks! That's actually the symbol/logo of the book/series.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Also, I'm doing a free promotion from now through Friday, if anyone is interested in checking it out.
Need those reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. Here's hoping.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
So sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad you are doing better now.

I love your cover and that symbol for the series. Good luck on your new release! :)

RLMcKeown

The rambling bard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccamckeownwrites.com
Good luck and glad you're feeling better! I picked up a copy because the cover is lovely and the story seems interesting. I have no idea when I'll have time to read it, though. Anyway, I look forward to seeing how things go for you!

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Thanks very much, everyone!

I'm doing OK so far. A hundred and something downloads so far, 2 days into the free period. I even got a review on Goodreads. It's a lot of fun.

Still waiting on the hard copy from Ingram. Should be here any day, and assuming it's free of issues, I'll be good to roll it out on schedule. Haven't had any problems since I reformatted the cover wrap to reduce my ink percentage, so here's hoping!

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to know you are doing better Revan. Personally I believed you were still under the influence of the pain meds when you made that comment about Word making it simple to upload.
Between that and the cover, I am about to say screw a paperback edition.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Glad to know you are doing better Revan. Personally I believed you were still under the influence of the pain meds when you made that comment about Word making it simple to upload.
Between that and the cover, I am about to say screw a paperback edition.

Well, I did already have it formatted and optimized for ebook format. Headers linked to table of contents, margins set and all tabs removed, illustrations compressed and embedded. I'd been working with calibre, but when I discovered that Amazon was just reconverting an epub I had already converted, I cut out the middle man (Calibre) and uploaded directly.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
And...you just went to speaking mandarin chinese to a drunk monkey. I am computer illiterate to be quite honest.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
And...you just went to speaking mandarin chinese to a drunk monkey. I am computer illiterate to be quite honest.

Heheh. I'm pretty good with computers, but had very little experience formatting with Word, and even less with the format and guidelines Ingram requires for the hard copy. It's been a lot of trial and error, but luckily the good ship AW has some guides and threads that helped me out, along with copious amounts of Google searching. I'm learning as I go.

Forgot to mention, I broke into the top 100 free for epic fantasy yesterday, and I've been hovering in the 60s since then. Not that big a deal since it's the free rankings, but I can't help but be excited.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
That may be the free rankings, but that is still something that is awesome to boast about Revan. I am glad that you are doing so well.
I'm hoping to hear from my editor tonight to see if he can't fix the formatting so I can upload it straight to Createspace.
I apologize for distracting from the focus of your thread, and again, congrats on the story, and also very happy to hear that your health has recovered from the motorcycle accident.

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
Heheh. I'm pretty good with computers, but had very little experience formatting with Word, and even less with the format and guidelines Ingram requires for the hard copy. It's been a lot of trial and error, but luckily the good ship AW has some guides and threads that helped me out, along with copious amounts of Google searching. I'm learning as I go.

Forgot to mention, I broke into the top 100 free for epic fantasy yesterday, and I've been hovering in the 60s since then. Not that big a deal since it's the free rankings, but I can't help but be excited.

Rev, I'm curious what format you submitted in? The research I did led me to submit for my e-book using an HTML format, since that provides the smallest file size (and since Amazon tacks on the delivery fee).. it's not much money, but every bit helps.

I ask because I noticed your file size was about twice mine (2,125kb, versus 1,048kb). Given mine was 362 pages versus 380 i hadn't expected to see that big of a difference. If I recall, I think I read about the file size and setting it up in this PC mag article.

Just a thought, if you submitted using a word doc it may be worth the experiment of formatting it into HTML for the sake of halving your file size--I know when it comes to book sales every bit helps.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Rev, I'm curious what format you submitted in? The research I did led me to submit for my e-book using an HTML format, since that provides the smallest file size (and since Amazon tacks on the delivery fee).. it's not much money, but every bit helps.

I ask because I noticed your file size was about twice mine (2,125kb, versus 1,048kb). Given mine was 362 pages versus 380 i hadn't expected to see that big of a difference. If I recall, I think I read about the file size and setting it up in this PC mag article.

Just a thought, if you submitted using a word doc it may be worth the experiment of formatting it into HTML for the sake of halving your file size--I know when it comes to book sales every bit helps.

Likely because I have several little illustrations in mine, but that's not a bad idea. I'll definitely look into it.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Well, today is the last day of Shade being free.
For the first 3 days I've done 85, 50, and 90, and for some reason I seem to be on track to go higher today. I was all prepared for DLs to taper off the longer it went on, but after a sophomore slump, they're continuously rising. Sitting pretty at #40 in epic fantasy as I type this.

Now I have a question for you wonderful self-pubbers, even though this is a little way off for me: is it a typical strategy to mark the 1st book in a series free (I know a lot of people discount them) when the 2nd releases? And has that strategy boosted the sales for your 2nd when compared to when your 1st released?

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Final copy of the hardcover came in. I'm fairly pleased aside from a few minor gripes, because I feel like it has to be perfect. I did an unboxing video and might add to it and make a review + tutorial video on working with Ingram Spark for self-pubbers that are interested in how they work.

Anyway, wanted to share some shots of it with you guys:

x6IMiIy.jpg

6QvVyNL.jpg

Last edited:

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
The hardcover looks really nice, and I've been wondering how Ingram does (Is it Ingram Spark?). I would definitely be curious to see your overall review and video regarding how the hardcover came out.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
The hardcover looks really nice, and I've been wondering how Ingram does (Is it Ingram Spark?). I would definitely be curious to see your overall review and video regarding how the hardcover came out.
Thanks! I'll probably get it done and put it on youtube tomorrow. I need to start a channel for myself, anyway. I think I'd much rather do video blogs and reviews of other books, etc. there than on a traditional blog. I'm trying to keep one, but I have to force myself to write in it.
And yes, it's Ingram Spark. I chose them for their distribution channels and the good reviews of their overall quality. Going in blind like I did wasn't a good idea, but I've learned a great deal about formatting and art for print over the last few weeks/months.

It looks great!! Congrats!
Oh & I downloaded your book when it was free, excited to read it! :)
Thanks so much! We're friends on Goodreads, too! :D
I need make an exception to my reading habits soon and pick up one of your books.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Those are good pictures and your book looks lovely, Revan, but they're going to stop the page loading properly for anyone on a slow connection. Do you think you could edit out all but for one or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.