DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
I skipped the DRM on mine, mostly because of what others have said. It doesn't deter piracy, and the only ones it inhibits are customers who have paid for it. Plus, honestly, I don't mind if someone passes along a copy of my book to a friend. If the friend likes it, they'll buy more of my stuff anyways, so I'll take that one time hit. If they're not going to buy it, they're generally not going to buy it, so I don't lose any sleep either way. It's not like I was going to get their money anyways.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
It's legal in some places and for some reasons. You need to check depending on where you are and why you're doing it. For example, it's my understanding that in the US it's legal if you're doing it to make the book accessible to a disabled reader. But IANAL and especially not a US lawyer, so you need to check that for yourself.

Thanks for the clarification. That's about what I was thinking, so I guess I'd have to check the individual file.

Back on topic... I don't plan to use DRM on my stories, mostly because I don't want to cause a hassle to readers. I'd rather make it easy on them to read my stories, not make them jump through hoops.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Girlyswot:

Complete newbie question- Doesn't Amazon and B&N convert the file for their Kindle/Nook for selling? Why would you need a file converter? You mean, for personal reasons, such as buying a Nook book, and wanting to convert it to the Kindle format? You said you have Calibre? I didn't realize this existed.

Just when I think I got my "roll" going, lol, I find new things out. You guys have been great sources of info.

Yes, Amazon will convert it. I don't know about B&N, since I use Smashwords who will also convert it. The reason to do it yourself is to have more control over what the finished result looks like. Sometimes the converters don't work well with all the nonsense Word shoves into a file. Sometimes you might need a different table of contents, for instance. You don't have to do the conversion yourself but you might find you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.