Questions for Self-Published Authors on Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a few questions about publishing on Kindle and would be really grateful if anyone with experience in this could help me out. I did check out the helpful 'Kindle Direct Publishing' thread, but I have a few added questions.

I understand there's the KDP and KDP Select. Now I'd heard that it would be a good idea to launch with Bookbub (providing they approve your book, of course) while simultaneously going with KDP Select (which, as I understand is 90 days.) Has anyone else tried this route? As my book isn't actually on KDP yet and, therefore, would be unlikely to be accepted on Bookbub (no reviews, no readers), I was planning on marketing myself on KDP, Smashwords, Goodreads, FB, etc ... and once building myself up a bit, going for the KDP Select/Bookbub avenue.

Does this sound like a good plan? From the research I've done, it seems like a decent move, but I'm curious to hear from others who have self-published.

May seem like a silly question, but it is OK to use Bookbub and the KDP Select 90 day offer at the same time, isn't it? It's just I read on Amazon that there was to be no other promoting, other than on Amazon, during that time. So I'm a bit confused ...

Can I also switch from KDP to KDP Select after a suitable time? Or will I have to re-upload?

Regarding pricing, I heard that $3.99 (about £2.50) is a good price to go for, except when using Select (Free was hinted as a good option). Any experience with this?

Also, does anyone have any experience with Createspace? This was something I was looking into also.

Looking forward to receiving any insight and help into this situation!

Last edited:

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi There!

First, I want to say I have experience with KDP and CreateSpace, but have only gone through the process with both once. So hopefully someone with more experience than I will respond as well.

I know nothing about Bookbub so I can't answer your question about that.

My understanding is that you can move from KDP to KDP Select and back (after the 90 days) when you want to and you do not have to re-upload the book.

How long is your book? I bought a book I thought was very useful for figuring out some of this, Self-Publishing Tips. She has recommendations based on word count. Mine is just shy of 50,000 words so I'm going to go with her suggestion and put my Kindle book up for $2.99. I'll be changing it to that tomorrow (after leaving it at $0.99 for the first two weeks as a promo). But they do recommend going $2.99 or above if you do KDP Select because you get 70% of the royalty versus much lower if below that price.

CreateSpace was a bit tricky to navigate the first time but it was wonderful. The proof I received was fantastic, customer service is amazing and I will be using them for all future novels. I have heard that you should not use CreateSpace to produce your Kindle e-book, though, as apparently the layout isn't as nice or specific as it is if you go through KDP.

I hope some of that helps!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've also only gone through the process once and only about a month ago.

I don't know about Bookbub either, but if Kindle Select does specify that you can't sell the e-book version anywhere else. However, if Bookbub is like Goodreads and you just promote your e-book there but don't sell it there, I think that's okay. You can do whatever you want with the print version the whole time, though.

My understanding is you can enroll in Kindle Select at any time, but then you can't withdraw for 90 days. You don't have to re-load the e-book to get in an out of Kindle Select.

My ebook was downloaded like crazy when it was free. But now under Kindle Select, I can only make it free for 5 of each 90 days.

I'm still trying different things to see what works best. I've set the price at .99, 2.99, or 4.99 don't notice much difference in sales but not long enough on any price or enough sales to really know. When it was free, I got up to 200 downloads per day so, yes, that does make a gigantic difference. However, I don't think I got any reviews from those and my guess is a lot of people out there just have a habit of downloading everything that's free and might not ever even read them. On Kindle Select (not sure if it's the same on just the Kindle Direct) you get 70% rather than 35% if the price is $2.99 or more.

When I signed up (not sure if it was for Kindle Direct or Kindle Select) something popped up that told me books like mine sold best at $2.99.

I've used CreateSpace too but gotten many more sales on Kindle.

Someone else did my formatting for me and he sent me three separate files, for CreateSpace, Kindle, and other readers. The formatting is a bit different on each, that's all I know.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
As far as listing with Bookbub, they're an advertiser. You're paying them to feature your book in their daily targeted email. So there is no conflict with being part of Kindle Select. But if you are enrolled in Kindle Select, they *might* be disinclined to approve your listing since it's only available from one online retailer, and I've noticed that many of their listings are available through multiple retailers.

I have used Bookbub twice, for two different books. They've approved me twice and rejected me twice. They don't provide any specifics as to why they reject your listing. There are so many variables. It could simply be that your book's category happens to be filled at that moment. They do require a fair amount of reviews on your book. What that magic number is, I have no idea. And it probably shifts, as they state they evaluate each book by a number of different criteria.

Reaction score
Hi There!

How long is your book? I bought a book I thought was very useful for figuring out some of this, Self-Publishing Tips. She has recommendations based on word count. Mine is just shy of 50,000 words so I'm going to go with her suggestion and put my Kindle book up for $2.99. I'll be changing it to that tomorrow (after leaving it at $0.99 for the first two weeks as a promo). But they do recommend going $2.99 or above if you do KDP Select because you get 70% of the royalty versus much lower if below that price.

CreateSpace was a bit tricky to navigate the first time but it was wonderful. The proof I received was fantastic, customer service is amazing and I will be using them for all future novels. I have heard that you should not use CreateSpace to produce your Kindle e-book, though, as apparently the layout isn't as nice or specific as it is if you go through KDP.

I hope some of that helps!

Thanks, Dallionz, that's very helpful - my book comes in at 77,000 words and I was going to set the immediate price at $3.99. But would it be beneficial at all to offer the book 'free' at first for the first few days? The thing is, I've searched for e-books in my genre which are free, and there are loads of them! How would I ever get mine seen to among the rest of the free books? Have you ever had any trouble with this? Glad to hear also you've had good experiences with Createspace - though I am a little confused now regarding Createspace and Kindle. I was under the impression that Createspace was specifically for printing paperback copies of your E-book and that it is purely linked to Amazon? Or do I have this wrong?

I've also only gone through the process once and only about a month ago.

I don't know about Bookbub either, but if Kindle Select does specify that you can't sell the e-book version anywhere else. However, if Bookbub is like Goodreads and you just promote your e-book there but don't sell it there, I think that's okay. You can do whatever you want with the print version the whole time, though.

My understanding is you can enroll in Kindle Select at any time, but then you can't withdraw for 90 days. You don't have to re-load the e-book to get in an out of Kindle Select.

My ebook was downloaded like crazy when it was free. But now under Kindle Select, I can only make it free for 5 of each 90 days.

I'm still trying different things to see what works best. I've set the price at .99, 2.99, or 4.99 don't notice much difference in sales but not long enough on any price or enough sales to really know. When it was free, I got up to 200 downloads per day so, yes, that does make a gigantic difference. However, I don't think I got any reviews from those and my guess is a lot of people out there just have a habit of downloading everything that's free and might not ever even read them. On Kindle Select (not sure if it's the same on just the Kindle Direct) you get 70% rather than 35% if the price is $2.99 or more.

When I signed up (not sure if it was for Kindle Direct or Kindle Select) something popped up that told me books like mine sold best at $2.99.

I've used CreateSpace too but gotten many more sales on Kindle.

Someone else did my formatting for me and he sent me three separate files, for CreateSpace, Kindle, and other readers. The formatting is a bit different on each, that's all I know.

Good luck!

Tanks, Fruitbat, that's very helpful. What was the very first price you set your book at? Did you do a free promotion for a few days and did you have any techniques to pull the book above other books in your genre? I know I must seem very confused right now and I'm sure once I'm actually in it things will become clearer, but right now it's all looking a little hazy to me! So trying to put all the pieces together before I jump in. :D

As far as listing with Bookbub, they're an advertiser. You're paying them to feature your book in their daily targeted email. So there is no conflict with being part of Kindle Select. But if you are enrolled in Kindle Select, they *might* be disinclined to approve your listing since it's only available from one online retailer, and I've noticed that many of their listings are available through multiple retailers.

I have used Bookbub twice, for two different books. They've approved me twice and rejected me twice. They don't provide any specifics as to why they reject your listing. There are so many variables. It could simply be that your book's category happens to be filled at that moment. They do require a fair amount of reviews on your book. What that magic number is, I have no idea. And it probably shifts, as they state they evaluate each book by a number of different criteria.

I see what you're saying! So Bookbub may lean more towards rejecting you if you're only selling on Kindle Select. Your information about Bookbub is very helpful, thank you. As it appears that a certain amount of reviews are required, would my original plan of uploading straight to KDP, promoting myself as much as possible via other sites, and hopefully landing some reviews for a good few months or so be a good move? And after this, trying out KDP Select to try and boost exposure? I assume also that, if Bookbub turn you down, it's acceptable to resubmit to them again after a period of time.

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
Regarding pricing, I heard that $3.99 (about £2.50) is a good price to go for, except when using Select (Free was hinted as a good option). Any experience with this?

Your idea of $3.99 isn't a bad place to start. As for free, here are my own thoughts on the idea of "free". I'm assuming this is your first book. If I'm wrong, then feel free to ignore anything I say from here on out. :)

Indie authors are also business people. I think you understand this, which is why you're asking questions. That's a good thing. So, let me ask you a rhetorical question. Why does a business give anything away?

The answer, obviously, is that they believe the returns on that will ultimately be higher.

You mention that you looked in your genre and saw tons of free books. You're probably looking at it and thinking, "Why would anyone pay for my book, when there's all this free stuff just sitting there?" It's a fair question. However, a more pertinent question is "why is there all this free stuff?"

If you're going to give your stuff away, I personally feel there are really only two good reasons to do so. One is that you just want people to read your stuff. You don't care about making a living at writing, necessarily. You just want to share your work.

However, a lot of that free stuff is there for another reason. That reason is actually business motivated. They're loss leaders. The writer is taking a hit on that book under the belief that giving away a taste for free will encourage readers to buy the rest of a series (or maybe everything the author has written). The idea is that taking a loss on one book will lead to higher returns down the road.

Unfortunately for new authors, the idea of a loss leader doesn't really work until you have more work available to buy.

Of course, if you're only interested in people reading your stuff, so be it.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Createspace? This was something I was looking into also.
I used CreateSpace for my novel and an earlier novelette. What do you want to know?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your idea of $3.99 isn't a bad place to start. As for free, here are my own thoughts on the idea of "free". I'm assuming this is your first book. If I'm wrong, then feel free to ignore anything I say from here on out. :)

Indie authors are also business people. I think you understand this, which is why you're asking questions. That's a good thing. So, let me ask you a rhetorical question. Why does a business give anything away?

The answer, obviously, is that they believe the returns on that will ultimately be higher.

You mention that you looked in your genre and saw tons of free books. You're probably looking at it and thinking, "Why would anyone pay for my book, when there's all this free stuff just sitting there?" It's a fair question. However, a more pertinent question is "why is there all this free stuff?"

If you're going to give your stuff away, I personally feel there are really only two good reasons to do so. One is that you just want people to read your stuff. You don't care about making a living at writing, necessarily. You just want to share your work.

However, a lot of that free stuff is there for another reason. That reason is actually business motivated. They're loss leaders. The writer is taking a hit on that book under the belief that giving away a taste for free will encourage readers to buy the rest of a series (or maybe everything the author has written). The idea is that taking a loss on one book will lead to higher returns down the road.

Unfortunately for new authors, the idea of a loss leader doesn't really work until you have more work available to buy.

Of course, if you're only interested in people reading your stuff, so be it.

I used CreateSpace for my novel and an earlier novelette. What do you want to know?

Tom, this is extremely helpful, thank you, and helped put things into perspective.

Yes, this is my first book. In which case, judging by what you say, offering my book as free in the beginning would be a mistake? I don't have other books, nor a series that is available - yet. And much as I love for people to read my work, ultimately I'm hoping to turn it into a profitable business. Therefore, can I conclude that it would be smarter for me to set the price at about $3.99 for as long as it takes to get reviews, promote myself, build an audience - and then, after a substantial base has been attained and I have a couple more works available, go for the idea of synchronizing Bookbub advertisement with KDP Select?

With regard to Createspace (and I may be completely confused here) I was under the impression this was what was used in case readers wanted to buy a paperback copy of your book, as opposed to the e-book copy. And that Kindle writers could apply for this. However, I was under the impression this has been designed for Kindle; therefore, it confuses me to learn that it is inadvisable to print your Kindle book with Createspace?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'd recommend against putting the books anywhere other than Kindle if you intend to use Select later. I've tried the route of having a book on Smashwords and then pulling it, and it hasn't gone well. Even after I thought everything was sorted, one retailer put the book back on sale, and I got a deadline from Amazon for getting it removed (which I managed to hit fortunately). You don't want that happening during your promotions.

Reaction score
I'd recommend against putting the books anywhere other than Kindle if you intend to use Select later. I've tried the route of having a book on Smashwords and then pulling it, and it hasn't gone well. Even after I thought everything was sorted, one retailer put the book back on sale, and I got a deadline from Amazon for getting it removed (which I managed to hit fortunately). You don't want that happening during your promotions.

Thank you, Polenth! Do you mean you used Select and still had the book on Smashwords? May I ask, what was the timeframe between when you switched to Select from KDP and how long your book had been up on Smashwords during the whole period?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Thank you, Polenth! Do you mean you used Select and still had the book on Smashwords? May I ask, what was the timeframe between when you switched to Select from KDP and how long your book had been up on Smashwords during the whole period?

The book had been on Smashwords for about four months. I then took it down from Smashwords so I could join Select. This involved having to contact Smashwords, as one site wouldn't take it down. But I didn't join Select until that was all sorted and no one was selling it. I have a basic timeline of the takedown on my diary thread here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9015832&postcount=69

It doesn't include the retailer putting the book back on sale, as I haven't done that update yet (I'm waiting a bit to see if anything else happens). That happened about thirteen days after I joined Select and over a month after that retailer had initially taken the book down. It shouldn't have happened, but it did... and from Amazon's perspective, it doesn't matter if you weren't at fault. If someone else is selling it, you're violating the guidelines. They gave me five days to sort it, which wasn't a lot of time.

I'm managing to stay in Select, but it's a miracle really. I didn't expect to get the last issue resolved so quickly. Needless to say, it's rather stressful, as Smashwords support must be getting to know my name, and everytime email comes in, I'm expecting another warning notice. I wouldn't have started from here if I did it all again.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
As it appears that a certain amount of reviews are required, would my original plan of uploading straight to KDP, promoting myself as much as possible via other sites, and hopefully landing some reviews for a good few months or so be a good move? And after this, trying out KDP Select to try and boost exposure? I assume also that, if Bookbub turn you down, it's acceptable to resubmit to them again after a period of time.

SS, you might want to check out Bookbub's submission requirements. They ask you wait four weeks before resubmitting.

As far as enrolling in Select or not, it seems your main question is how to go about getting reviews quickly. That can be tricky, but you may want to offer ARCs (advance reader copies) before you publish. That is one strategy.

If you read the stickies at the top of this forum, there is a huge amount of information. Check out the Book Promotion thread as well.

You can offer review copies on Goodreads and LibraryThing and also contact book bloggers who review books in your genre.

Good luck!

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
Tom, this is extremely helpful, thank you, and helped put things into perspective.

Happy to help. :)

Yes, this is my first book. In which case, judging by what you say, offering my book as free in the beginning would be a mistake? I don't have other books, nor a series that is available - yet. And much as I love for people to read my work, ultimately I'm hoping to turn it into a profitable business. Therefore, can I conclude that it would be smarter for me to set the price at about $3.99 for as long as it takes to get reviews, promote myself, build an audience - and then, after a substantial base has been attained and I have a couple more works available, go for the idea of synchronizing Bookbub advertisement with KDP Select?

I personally feel like going free with a first book, if you're wanting a profitable business, is a pretty significant mistake. After all, how are you going to make a profit if you don't make any money, right? ;)

Dean Wesley Smith has some thought on pricing you may want to look at. It's not overly complicated, but I'm applying this with my new book and have already made more than I did with my $.99 novelette in a similar amount of time, despite fewer sales.

As for KDP Select, there are a few things to think about. At $3.99, you'll get 70 percent of the sale price. That works out to $2.79 or so per sale. However, if you're in KDP Select, you're enrolled in the Kindle Unlimited program as well. That means people can "borrow" your book and you'll get a variable amount. Now, this tends to be around $2, give or take. This means you'll make less per read.

Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing either. You may decide that you'll still make money, so who cares? Well, with a first book, that's not a bad strategy all things considered. Of course, that's also not what I did. My novelette was enrolled in KDP and never really did anything with it, then they launched KU. I now make more money from people borrowing that book than when they sell it, but it was just dumb luck on that front. :)

With regard to Createspace (and I may be completely confused here) I was under the impression this was what was used in case readers wanted to buy a paperback copy of your book, as opposed to the e-book copy. And that Kindle writers could apply for this. However, I was under the impression this has been designed for Kindle; therefore, it confuses me to learn that it is inadvisable to print your Kindle book with Createspace?

You're right, CreateSpace is a service (one of several) that will print a copy of your book on demand for customers who prefer a print version.

The process is pretty simple. You select a trim size, download a template for your text, copy and paste your manuscript (slightly more involved, but not rocket science by any means), and upload it to CreateSpace. If you've had a cover designed, you'll need a slightly different one for CreateSpace (Kindle books don't have back covers or spines after all). If you haven't done anything with the cover yet, get a print cover and it can be cropped for Kindle use.

Plan ahead, because there could be hiccups in the process, but CreateSpace is pretty good with telling you what's wrong.

However, you're not really "applying" for anything. They'll print just about anyone, and the term "applying" indicates you might get turned down. It's just going through the processes. They're a service working for you, not the other way around. :)

CreateSpace also offers to upload it to Kindle for you, though I've heard horror stories about how that comes across, so I just upload to KDP directly.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Reaction score
The book had been on Smashwords for about four months. I then took it down from Smashwords so I could join Select. This involved having to contact Smashwords, as one site wouldn't take it down. But I didn't join Select until that was all sorted and no one was selling it. I have a basic timeline of the takedown on my diary thread here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9015832&postcount=69

It doesn't include the retailer putting the book back on sale, as I haven't done that update yet (I'm waiting a bit to see if anything else happens). That happened about thirteen days after I joined Select and over a month after that retailer had initially taken the book down. It shouldn't have happened, but it did... and from Amazon's perspective, it doesn't matter if you weren't at fault. If someone else is selling it, you're violating the guidelines. They gave me five days to sort it, which wasn't a lot of time.

I'm managing to stay in Select, but it's a miracle really. I didn't expect to get the last issue resolved so quickly. Needless to say, it's rather stressful, as Smashwords support must be getting to know my name, and everytime email comes in, I'm expecting another warning notice. I wouldn't have started from here if I did it all again.

Thanks, Polenth, this is very useful to know. It must have been very frustrating for you, going through this process; I'll be sure to check out your thread, thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
SS, you might want to check out Bookbub's submission requirements. They ask you wait four weeks before resubmitting.

As far as enrolling in Select or not, it seems your main question is how to go about getting reviews quickly. That can be tricky, but you may want to offer ARCs (advance reader copies) before you publish. That is one strategy.

If you read the stickies at the top of this forum, there is a huge amount of information. Check out the Book Promotion thread as well.

You can offer review copies on Goodreads and LibraryThing and also contact book bloggers who review books in your genre.

Good luck!

I will definitely look into offering advance reader copies on the platforms you mentioned - thanks, Mclesh! :D

Happy to help. :)

I personally feel like going free with a first book, if you're wanting a profitable business, is a pretty significant mistake. After all, how are you going to make a profit if you don't make any money, right? ;)

Dean Wesley Smith has some thought on pricing you may want to look at. It's not overly complicated, but I'm applying this with my new book and have already made more than I did with my $.99 novelette in a similar amount of time, despite fewer sales.

As for KDP Select, there are a few things to think about. At $3.99, you'll get 70 percent of the sale price. That works out to $2.79 or so per sale. However, if you're in KDP Select, you're enrolled in the Kindle Unlimited program as well. That means people can "borrow" your book and you'll get a variable amount. Now, this tends to be around $2, give or take. This means you'll make less per read.

Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing either. You may decide that you'll still make money, so who cares? Well, with a first book, that's not a bad strategy all things considered. Of course, that's also not what I did. My novelette was enrolled in KDP and never really did anything with it, then they launched KU. I now make more money from people borrowing that book than when they sell it, but it was just dumb luck on that front. :)

You're right, CreateSpace is a service (one of several) that will print a copy of your book on demand for customers who prefer a print version.

The process is pretty simple. You select a trim size, download a template for your text, copy and paste your manuscript (slightly more involved, but not rocket science by any means), and upload it to CreateSpace. If you've had a cover designed, you'll need a slightly different one for CreateSpace (Kindle books don't have back covers or spines after all). If you haven't done anything with the cover yet, get a print cover and it can be cropped for Kindle use.

Plan ahead, because there could be hiccups in the process, but CreateSpace is pretty good with telling you what's wrong.

However, you're not really "applying" for anything. They'll print just about anyone, and the term "applying" indicates you might get turned down. It's just going through the processes. They're a service working for you, not the other way around. :)

CreateSpace also offers to upload it to Kindle for you, though I've heard horror stories about how that comes across, so I just upload to KDP directly.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Interesting, I didn't know there was a borrowing option on KPS Select! Can I ask another question? (Sorry, I know I'm asking quite a lot!) What price did you set your book at while on Select? I've heard that 'free' is a good option (combined with Bookbub) because it generates most exposure this way. Or would $3.99 (same as the KDP price) be a good option with Select?

Huge thanks for all this information, including Createspace - it's really opened my eyes and I've learned loads! :D

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't know there was a borrowing option on KPS Select! Can I ask another question? (Sorry, I know I'm asking quite a lot!)

Ask as many questions as you like. That's kind of what forums are for, right? ;)

As for the borrowing option, Kindle Unlimited is fairly new, but the borrowing option has been available for a while to Prime members. They were just limited to one per month. KU lets them borrow ten books per month, so they're far more likely to try.

What price did you set your book at while on Select? I've heard that 'free' is a good option (combined with Bookbub) because it generates most exposure this way. Or would $3.99 (same as the KDP price) be a good option with Select?

My "book" was only a novelette, so I priced it at $.99. In hindsight, I may have left a lot of money on the table, but I didn't think anyone would actually read it anyways. Almost a thousand readers later, I guess I blew that one.

It's important to understand that Amazon won't actually let you set the permanent price as free. It has to be at least $.99. The free books you're seeing were listed elsewhere for free, and then Amazon price matched it. Basically, if you're doing KDP Select (which means you're exclusive to Amazon at first), Perma-free won't be an option to start with.

With the Countdown Deals, you can do free for a limited time. Again, this might work well for you if you have a series that you're trying to promote. Otherwise, you're giving away your one product for "exposure" that won't mean anything unless a reader can grab more from you right away.

Huge thanks for all this information, including Createspace - it's really opened my eyes and I've learned loads! :D

Glad I could help, and feel free to keep asking questions. :)

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Dallionz, that's very helpful - my book comes in at 77,000 words and I was going to set the immediate price at $3.99. But would it be beneficial at all to offer the book 'free' at first for the first few days? The thing is, I've searched for e-books in my genre which are free, and there are loads of them! How would I ever get mine seen to among the rest of the free books? Have you ever had any trouble with this? Glad to hear also you've had good experiences with Createspace - though I am a little confused now regarding Createspace and Kindle. I was under the impression that Createspace was specifically for printing paperback copies of your E-book and that it is purely linked to Amazon? Or do I have this wrong?

Again, my experience is limited. A good friend who has done a lot of publishing on Amazon says to never offer it for free in the beginning. Offer it for $0.99 for a week or two and then go to your normal price. If you do go through KDP Select, you can advertise your book once every 3 months (I believe) and you can make it free for a short period of time. You can center advertising around that time and it helps bring in new readers.

When it is free, there are a lot of places you can go to get it listed. Some cost and some do not. But there are a lot of cheap ways to advertise your free book. Again, not trying to advertise my friend's book, but she has a HUGE list of links here that give you places to go to advertise a free or $0.99 book. The book is here

About Createspace - no they do not just print copies of your ebook. they have a very specific set of guidelines and templates you can use to create your book. I found that the way I had my Kindle book set up (I did that first) did not, in any way, fit the paperback templates. I pretty much copied and pasted it by chapter, re-did the formatting, etc. It was very different.

My understanding is that you can set up the print version first through CreateSpace and then have that made into a Kindle ebook, but if you do the formatting sometimes doesn't come out quite right.

In the end, I've heard it's best to use KDP to do your Kindle book and CreateSpace to do the print.

Personally, I am now writing my WIP in the template for CreateSpace. That whole process takes longer anyway - the getting it set up, waiting for a proof, waiting for it to be available on Amazon. So my goal is to get it to where I'm waiting for it to appear on Amazon and then going to KDP and re-formatting for a Kindle version, hoping I can have them both available at about the same time.

I hope that helps some!

Reaction score
Ask as many questions as you like. That's kind of what forums are for, right? ;)

As for the borrowing option, Kindle Unlimited is fairly new, but the borrowing option has been available for a while to Prime members. They were just limited to one per month. KU lets them borrow ten books per month, so they're far more likely to try.

My "book" was only a novelette, so I priced it at $.99. In hindsight, I may have left a lot of money on the table, but I didn't think anyone would actually read it anyways. Almost a thousand readers later, I guess I blew that one.

It's important to understand that Amazon won't actually let you set the permanent price as free. It has to be at least $.99. The free books you're seeing were listed elsewhere for free, and then Amazon price matched it. Basically, if you're doing KDP Select (which means you're exclusive to Amazon at first), Perma-free won't be an option to start with.

With the Countdown Deals, you can do free for a limited time. Again, this might work well for you if you have a series that you're trying to promote. Otherwise, you're giving away your one product for "exposure" that won't mean anything unless a reader can grab more from you right away.

Glad I could help, and feel free to keep asking questions. :)

Thank you, Tom! I think I will take you up on your kind offer to ask more questions, hehe. I was wondering, how long would be a good timeframe in between switching from KDP to KDP select? Would it also be best if I didn't go for countdown deals as I only have one book at the moment? Could you also explain a bit more what you mean by perma free? If the books were listed elsewhere for free, how did they come to be on select? I thought amazon has you exclusively during select. Sorry if it's a silly question, it's a bit muddled in my mind!

Thanks loads again!

Reaction score
Again, my experience is limited. A good friend who has done a lot of publishing on Amazon says to never offer it for free in the beginning. Offer it for $0.99 for a week or two and then go to your normal price. If you do go through KDP Select, you can advertise your book once every 3 months (I believe) and you can make it free for a short period of time. You can center advertising around that time and it helps bring in new readers.

When it is free, there are a lot of places you can go to get it listed. Some cost and some do not. But there are a lot of cheap ways to advertise your free book. Again, not trying to advertise my friend's book, but she has a HUGE list of links here that give you places to go to advertise a free or $0.99 book. The book is here

About Createspace - no they do not just print copies of your ebook. they have a very specific set of guidelines and templates you can use to create your book. I found that the way I had my Kindle book set up (I did that first) did not, in any way, fit the paperback templates. I pretty much copied and pasted it by chapter, re-did the formatting, etc. It was very different.

My understanding is that you can set up the print version first through CreateSpace and then have that made into a Kindle ebook, but if you do the formatting sometimes doesn't come out quite right.

In the end, I've heard it's best to use KDP to do your Kindle book and CreateSpace to do the print.

Personally, I am now writing my WIP in the template for CreateSpace. That whole process takes longer anyway - the getting it set up, waiting for a proof, waiting for it to be available on Amazon. So my goal is to get it to where I'm waiting for it to appear on Amazon and then going to KDP and re-formatting for a Kindle version, hoping I can have them both available at about the same time.

I hope that helps some!

Thanks, Dallionz, this is all very helpful! Your friend's book also looks extremely helpful from what I've seen! :)

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I would also like to hear more about the countdown deals with just one novel available as well. I've been trying to decide whether it's worth going down to $0.99 or free for this when that's the only novel I even have for potential buyers to purchase.

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Tom! I think I will take you up on your kind offer to ask more questions, hehe. I was wondering, how long would be a good timeframe in between switching from KDP to KDP select?

Honestly, I can't give you one. I'm not a fan of having all my eggs in one basket for one thing, and KDP Select kind of puts you there.

Would it also be best if I didn't go for countdown deals as I only have one book at the moment?

That's what I'd recommend, unless you just want to move copies. However, a lot of times, you're not going to get new readers that way since even if they love your book, there's nothing new to buy.

Could you also explain a bit more what you mean by perma free? If the books were listed elsewhere for free, how did they come to be on select? I thought amazon has you exclusively during select. Sorry if it's a silly question, it's a bit muddled in my mind!

Thanks loads again!

It appears these aren't Select. They're listed elsewhere for free, and Amazon price matches them (since you can't just list it for free on Amazon).

Personally, I'm going to say I'm not a huge fan of KDP Select. I see some advantages, sure, but not enough to make me solely dependent on just one distribution outlet. Like anything else, you have to do what you feel is the best business decision for yourself. Me? I had enough people tell me they wanted to by my first work but couldn't because it was exclusive to Kindle that I decided to not let that happen again.

To me, skipping out on other distributors without a really, really good reason is leaving money on the table. I skip Smashwords because I'm not a fan of their Meatgrinder and that they put their name on my work (not that they take credit for it, but I don't want anything that can look like self published on my book if I can help it). Those are really good reasons to me to skip out there, but Barnes&Noble? iBook? Not so much.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
May seem like a silly question, but it is OK to use Bookbub and the KDP Select 90 day offer at the same time, isn't it? It's just I read on Amazon that there was to be no other promoting, other than on Amazon, during that time.

Just based on you saying that, you haven't done enough research to self-publish. Pause--you're not ready.

Read where on Amazon, by the way? I'd love a link. Was it in the forums? I know you didn't read it in Amazon's terms, because it's not true. So either you read someone's opinion (stay away from the KDP forums and the opinions of people there, seriously) or you're interpreting the exclusivity rule to mean that you can't promote. Both are wrong.

Your book can't be available anywhere but at Amazon. You can promote it wherever the hell you want to.

You're also not going to be able to launch with Bookbub. In fact, it's unlikely that you can get a spot on Bookbub at all, let alone within a 90 day Select window, unless your book is already selling fairly well and has a decent number of reviews, has a professional-looking cover, and meets whatever other criteria they judge by. Sometime it's not quality, but full ad slots that get you rejected, too. You can try, but don't expect anything. (And if by some fluke you get a day in your 90 day window, you run the book free or at 99 cents--you have nothing else for people to buy. That's an expensive ad, especially if you're giving the book away for free. Do you know how you would maximum that exposure? Mailing list sign-ups? Teaser to the next book in the back? Do you have any kind of a plan?)

Don't count on Bookbub as part of your strategy, because it's not under your control. Plan things you can control. Later, when your book has reviews, and preferably you have some other books also with reviews and sales, start trying for Bookbub. If you get chosen, then plan a marketing strategy with other promotion around that Bookbub date, absolutely.

Also, I had a situation similar to Polenth's back when Select was new. Many, many people could tell the same story, since it keeps happening to people who want to remove books for whatever reason. I pulled one under-performing title from Smashwords and put it into Select. The Select run was a week from being over, I think, by the time I finally got the title pulled down from Sony, and only then by contacting Sony directly and pointing out how they were selling my book that they no longer had the right to sell. And then Smashwords had the audacity to scold ME for not letting them handle it (I'd been doing that for several weeks and getting nowhere, being told it would removed while watching it stay for sale).

This is one of the many reasons I recommend people to Draft2Digital.com (D2D) instead of Smashwords. Books appear and are removed much more quickly, you get paid monthly instead of quarterly, when you have a problem they respond promptly (one of my issues was emailing Smashwords with no reply, trying again in a week or two, no reply), and I've found it an overall better experience. I still publish with Smashwords, but I don't distribute through them. I make some sales in the actual Smashwords store. But I will never again let them "ship" my books anywhere. You lose control the minute you let anyone distribute for you, even D2D, but it's important to trust that distributor to follow your instructions and add a title, remove the title, change its price, update the file, etc. when you want it done. Those things happen speedily with D2D, and sometimes not at all after weeks of effort with Smash. I only use D2D for iTunes, because Apple is such a pain to deal with directly. Nook and Kobo are better to publish with directly unless you can't for some reason (Nook is still only US, I guess? I don't know offhand).

You can launch a book in Select. Some people with a new pen name have had good results with that. The trick is to be in a genre with a lot of readers, have a book in a popular sub-genre, and appropriate marketing. Inform the sites that list free books when you're about to use your Select freebie days. Or do a Kindle Countdown instead and inform the bargain-book sites.

A Select run lasts only 90 days. After that, you can add your book to other retailers. For some, it's a good launch strategy. It's impossible to say if it might be for you because I know nothing about your book. Even then, sometimes things just don't work as well for some as they do for others, without a specific reason one can easily point to. I think Select is a far better choice if a second book will follow in that 90-day window (and a third is even better). But again, genre, the look of the book, and many other things factor in.

Do some more research on pricing before you make a decision. Watch what other self-publishers do (it's always better to pay attention to what people do more than what they say, because the two don't always mesh). One nice thing about being self-published is the ability to make changes when something doesn't work. But don't take that too far and change the price after only a few days, and back and forth.

I'm a fan of Dean Wesley Smith's, have been for years, but his advice on pricing and marketing don't produce the results for him that I want to see in my business, so it's not valuable to me. It's important for me to see someone achieving the kind of results I want by doing what they're telling me to do. With all due respect to Dean and his amazing, long writing career, I don't think his pricing and marketing advice for self-published stuff is generally good advice. (If you want to sell 3-5 copies each per month of hundreds of different short fiction titles, which is the plan he endorses, maybe he's spot on.)

I feel like you're still a lot of research away from being ready to self-publish, frankly. A lot of the questions you have, you shouldn't have after some research. Don't get all your answers from AW. Check out other boards where hundreds of self-publishers hang out, ranging from raw beginners to outliers. You're not going to get all the info you need from one single place.

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Dean Wesley Smith's, have been for years, but his advice on pricing and marketing don't produce the results for him that I want to see in my business, so it's not valuable to me. It's important for me to see someone achieving the kind of results I want by doing what they're telling me to do. With all due respect to Dean and his amazing, long writing career, I don't think his pricing and marketing advice for self-published stuff is generally good advice. (If you want to sell 3-5 copies each per month of hundreds of different short fiction titles, which is the plan he endorses, maybe he's spot on.)

Just my own curiosity here, but what are your thoughts on pricing?

I ask because I followed Dean's advice on my latest title, and was making more in revenue than on my $.99 novelette, but selling fewer copies. No big at first. In fact, I was convinced he was actually right and told him so.

Then the initial bump of sales from friends dried up. Well, my birthday is coming up, so I dropped the price to celebrate. Now, sales seem to be ticking back up. I don't plan on keeping it quite this low ($3.99), but thought I'd bring up to $4.99 since there seems to be some thought that this is the sweet spot.

(Asking this here since the OP may find it relevant to his research.)

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Just my own curiosity here, but what are your thoughts on pricing?

It all depends on the book in question, pricing within that genre, what the goals are for this particular book, your goals for your career in general, and a few other things. There is no one way to look at pricing, which is why general advice like "you should be pricing at this rate if your book is X number of words" doesn't begin to cover it, in my opinion.

I ask because I followed Dean's advice on my latest title, and was making more in revenue than on my $.99 novelette, but selling fewer copies. No big at first. In fact, I was convinced he was actually right and told him so.

Then the initial bump of sales from friends dried up. Well, my birthday is coming up, so I dropped the price to celebrate. Now, sales seem to be ticking back up. I don't plan on keeping it quite this low ($3.99), but thought I'd bring up to $4.99 since there seems to be some thought that this is the sweet spot.

So much depends on your particular title and its genre, what kind of sales you're looking at, and your goals, both short-term and long-term, that there is no one sweet spot. When something's selling a handful of copies a month, a higher price at least makes you a couple more dollars. It typically won't affect sales much, either. There's little barrier in the mind between $3.99 and $4.99. It's a buck difference. Meh. If I'm willing to pay $4 for something, it costing $5 won't deter me.

The difference between 99c and $2.99 or up is the vast chasm, thanks to Amazon's royalty rates, bargain book sites and book buyers who impulse buy. $3.99 and $4.99 doesn't make that much difference to you or readers.

If you want to get as many readers as possible, a 99 cent limited-time thing with plenty of promotion surrounding it (and a mailing list link inside the title to maximize all this) is an excellent way to do it. Same with a free run and all those things. Both these are fairly standard through any genres, but genres with larger readerships, lots of blogs and bargain book sites, obviously work best. Beyond promo pricing this way, it's important to look at your genre and figure out what you want most to get out of a particular book--an extra $100 a month, or less profit and more readers who may go on to buy the next one. If sales are super-slow, different strategies work best. Same for books that sell well. It's all relative.

If you're writing a series, a tactic that usually results in much better sales for the entire series is a 99 cent first installment, or using Amazon's price-matching to make the first installment free long-term. Stand-alone novels (or novelettes/novellas/short stories) won't give you nearly the same traction as an inexpensive or free intro your series.

Personally, I think people with one book out worry about things like pricing far too early. They need to spend their energies writing or making ready the next book. Odds are that a single book isn't going to sell much no matter how you price it. Get at least a few out there. When you have a backlist supporting your next new release is when analyzing pricing and promotion will benefit you the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.