• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How Do You Spot Awkward Phrasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxitoutwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to spot it in my writing, but the problem is, even when I think I see it, I find out I missed one.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Read it aloud. If it's awkward to say, then it's awkward writing.

Jack Oskar Larm

Just me and my guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Knowing you missed one means you found it. I wouldn't worry too much about the potential of missing some. As Meowzbark says, read it out and see how it sounds. Letting someone else read it will uncover awkward phrases too. And remember to always err on the side of straight words (simple, clear, common) and natural rhythm (as in speech - you'll hear this when you read it aloud).

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Read outloud. Read and revise more of your writing. Take a break from it--the longer, the better.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'll echo the advice to read passages aloud. That can be really helpful.

Giving it a break and coming back to it is good too. So is converting it into e-book format and either printing it up or loading it onto an e-reader or tablet. Anything that lets you look at your own writing as if it were someone else's.

JimAnnison

The Man on the Clapham Omnibus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yyz2112.wix.com
I'm definitely going to echo 'reading out loud' suggestion.

In my early drafts, I have a bad habit of writing long, convoluted sentences which require an oxygen tank to read out loud loud. It is a good way of spotting them and cutting them to manageable size.

Rhymes with Clue

Trying to be mysterious
Registered
Reaction score
Quick tip if you are in a hurry and don't have time to set it aside: start at the end, read it backwards. You can do this line by line (looking for typos) or paragraph by paragraph.

This way you don't get entranced or distracted by your plot and can focus on the elements. Might work; give it a try.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Read it aloud. If it's awkward to say, then it's awkward writing.

Beat me to it. But I'll add some detailed advice:

I have students in my English composition classes read stuff aloud, both from their own first drafts, and from published stuff by famous writers. In every class, the first thing I notice is that they read too damn fast.

Slow down. Read carefully. Whenever you stumble over a word or phrase, mark it. Go back and look at it later. Chances are it means you could have written in better.

You'll get better at reading aloud the more you do it, and it will happen quickly.

caw

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
Reading it aloud seems to be the consensus; I was going to say that I spot it by just reading in my head, but I assume you're already doing that...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could read everything aloud, but there's just too much of it, ae constantly so hoarse I couldn't talk at all. Like most editors, I learned to read aloud silently. It's the same thing, and I found it just as accurate, and less distracting and taxing, once I got the hang of it.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading my own writing out loud doesn't work for me. It diverts my attention from listening to it. My husband (who is my best critter) reads it out loud to me and I just listen, often flopped on the couch with my eyes closed. The awkward parts jump out at me very well that way.

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
I've suggested TextAloud many times. It is available from NextUp.com for US29.95. A free trial is available.

I've used it for many years and find it great. Provision exists for users to train the pronunciation of uncommon words.

If you don't like the common "mechanical sounding" voices, male and female voices are available from NextUp. I purchased male and female voices years back for $30 each. Have no idea what current prices are.

I receive no commission from NextUp.:D

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
My kindle fire uses some text to speech thingy that is helpful (but a pain to turn on & off). The voice is reasonably pleasant enough to listen to for a while.

Hearing it out loud, whether it's you reading or not, is invaluable.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Textedit on Macs has a speech feature. Someone commented in another thread about this that a skilled reader can make anything sound good and that the mechanical voice did a good job exposing awkward sentences. Still, I think a human reader (self or not) is best.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, reading aloud works, especially someone other than yourself. It's good to get fresh eyes (and a fresh voice) on a piece.

I have this -- issue -- of having a rather odd, archaic way of speaking (that creeps into my writing). Never realized it until someone came right out and asked me "why I talked like that." When I asked what she meant she told me that everything I said sounded like I was reciting Shakespeare or something. (????) Once she said it, others readily agreed.

So, when something I've written reads wonderfully and lyrically to me, I have to keep in mind that there's a chance it sounds really strange to others.

Ellie_2014

Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with everyone who says reading it aloud. I'm a big fan of doing this, and think if it sounds awkward when spoken, its awkwardly written.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Reading it aloud can help, but also, it just takes time and practice to develop an ear and eye for good prose. Having someone point it out (repeatedly) is also a good teacher.

pellshek

Registered
Reaction score
I think the "read it aloud" advice needs qualification.

If you're writing something that is meant to be read aloud - a TV script or a speech - then it is certainly 100% necessary to read it aloud before signing off on it. Things that look ok on the page can trip up on your tongue.

But it doesn't necessarily work the other way around; just because something jams on your tongue doesn't necessarily mean it's a mistake on a page that was not designed to be read aloud.

I read aloud at times, but if a sentence trips up on my tongue I don't necessarily take it as a sign the sentence is broken. It might be a bit of a tongue twister and still scan fine in your head.

Ed: Meant to add for OP that the sad truth is you just have to go over your MS again and again and again. It's paniful, and sometimes it becomes so familiar you can hardly see the what you're reading any more, but you have to find a way to step outside of yourself and really see what's written.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I'm in the minority, in that reading aloud has never worked for me. I pretty much do what James described: reading aloud in my head.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think the "read it aloud" advice needs qualification.

If you're writing something that is meant to be read aloud - a TV script or a speech - then it is certainly 100% necessary to read it aloud before signing off on it. Things that look ok on the page can trip up on your tongue.

It's not at all necessary, even with things like this. Reading is reading, whether it's with your vocal cords, or with your mind. Good dialogue must stand up to being read aloud, wherever you find it. If it doesn't read well out loud, it's not good dialogue.

This does not mean you have to read it out loud to know how it rolls off the tongue. My mind works as well, or better, than my tongue does. Some people can't read "Good morning" out loud without having it sound stilted.

I used to know a radio writer. He wrote those comedies and dramas that can still be found all over the internet, and he sometimes wrote several per day. He never read anything out loud.

Most people are fooling themselves by judging quality by how something sounds coming out of their own mouth. Good dialogue can come out sounding terrible, and bad dialogue can come out sounding great, all depoending on inflection, reading ability, vocal ability, and even acting ability. Some people can read a phone book, and make it sound like Shakespeare. Some people can read Shakespeare, and make him sound like a phone book.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Reading it aloud can help, but also, it just takes time and practice to develop an ear and eye for good prose.

Even more reason to do it. I'd also recommend reading aloud from published works you like, in order to develop those senses.

But however you do it, aloud, or faux-aloud (JAR's suggestion), the main point is to get past simple sight-reading. It's waaaaay too easy for the eye to zing right past things that beg to be fixed. People even "see" words that aren't actually on the page when reading fast by sight alone.

caw

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Part of it is just basic mechanics. Make sure the meaning of every sentence you write is crystal clear. Though the book is universally despised I recommend, "Elements of Style." It gives a great sense of what clarity is all about. No matter what your style, that is a requisite.

Last edited:

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
But however you do it, aloud, or faux-aloud (JAR's suggestion), the main point is to get past simple sight-reading. It's waaaaay too easy for the eye to zing right past things that beg to be fixed. People even "see" words that aren't actually on the page when reading fast by sight alone.

Exactly. When you're reading out loud you're more forced to read what's there, not what you expect to be there.

Sometimes just changing your device can do the trick - if you read it on a screen, print it out or send the doc to your phone or tablet... just change it up so you brain thinks it's something different and doesn't zone out.

Zannan

Registered
Reaction score
I have someone read my story to me. This helps me because I hear it and I notice if I read it aloud, I say what I expect to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.