• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ellora's Cave Publishing, Inc.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Affidavit of Patricia Marks to support the Motion for Temporary Restraining Order.

http://www.cpclerk.co.summit.oh.us/PublicSite/Documents/sumq900000BFD.pdf

Blog post by Courtney Milan about confidentiality clauses. It includes an offer to help EC people who are afraid to speak out.

If you are an author, an editor, or a cover-artist who would testify as to the truth of the statements Jane made, but for the confidentiality clause, contact me. If there is enough interest from those who would testify but are afraid for confidentiality reasons, I will look into finding a lawyer to accompany you to the hearing–someone whose job it is to represent your interests, and to make sure that you’re speaking up to the maximum allowed without putting yourselves at risk. But in order to do that, I need to know who you are. E-mail me at [email protected]. You do not have to tell me anything except that you would be willing to testify as to the truth of the statements Jane made, but feel that you cannot except for the confidentiality clause.

http://www.courtneymilan.com/ramblings/2014/09/30/a-note-about-confidentiality-clauses-notchilled/

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Seriously? A restraining order? I just can't right now. So much crazy in one post.

She might as well start throwing shoes or cupcakes.

I should've been clearer: it was to get Dear Author to stop publishing blog posts about Ellora's Cave immediately. The judge denied it, but requested more evidence to evaluate the truth of DA's claims.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I should've been clearer: it was to get Dear Author to stop publishing blog posts about Ellora's Cave immediately. The judge denied it, but requested more evidence to evaluate the truth of DA's claims.
As the thrust of the DA posts is non-payment, wouldn't the evidence refuting that be... the financial records? :evil

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not seeing any evidence of that sort of activity. You can look up edit history and do a comparison of previous vs. current versions, and it's all been cosmetic and/or spelling corrections recently. The page, overall, is a bare bones effort giving a short history of the company and a list of notable authors.
'Bare bones' seems an attempt at neutrality, because I can't see what either side could put up at the moment that wouldn't trigger an opposing response.
And given the current situation (tempers high, case before the courts, etc) I imagine Wikipedia would not be pleased at a sudden outbreak of claim and counterclaim and edit wars, etc. Does Wiki lock pages, or take them down if there's too muchobvious meddling going on?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Eh, I think it's because most people don't know about Ellora's Cave and don't care about this latest brouhaha. Every community has dramas that are HUGE within its own little bubble but are unknown outside of it. That's my theory, anyway.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
'Bare bones' seems an attempt at neutrality, because I can't see what either side could put up at the moment that wouldn't trigger an opposing response.
And given the current situation (tempers high, case before the courts, etc) I imagine Wikipedia would not be pleased at a sudden outbreak of claim and counterclaim and edit wars, etc. Does Wiki lock pages, or take them down if there's too muchobvious meddling going on?

Pages can be locked if there are edit wars going on. They don't delete a page because someone vandalised it.

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, why is Patricia Marks referred to as "he" at the bottom of the affidavit? I thought they were a woman...

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Uh, why is Patricia Marks referred to as "he" at the bottom of the affidavit? I thought they were a woman...

Probably because the lawyer did a crappy proofreading job after cutting and pasting into an affidavit template.

ETA: and what Amergina said, even though I still chalk it up to carelessness.

Last edited:

Romangoblets

Registered
Reaction score
Wow - just wow! I'm a lawyer and a writer and I think this lawsuit is a baaaaad idea. She will run off more potential writers and readers with her actions than any Dear Author blog could.

Last edited:

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Wow - just wow! I'm a lawyer and a writer and I think this lawsuit is a baaaaad idea. She will run off more potential writers and readers with her actions than any Dear Author blog could.

Not to mention all of the review sites that are now refusing to review any book pub'd by Ellora's cave.

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
If so, that's just more insanity. The EC backlist has to still be worth a lot of money, even now. That could be Tina's and Patty's retirement/reinvention package, right there.

I know. It makes no sense and yet I've seen this mentality play out in other aspects in my life. I guess to sell/let someone else take control is an admission of failure. They'd rather it fall apart than admit that they failed or that they simply didn't want to do it anymore. But to let someone else have it and nurture it flourish to greater heights than they took it? An even bigger showcase of their 'failure'.

So they'd rather it crash and burn.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I know. It makes no sense and yet I've seen this mentality play out in other aspects in my life. I guess to sell/let someone else take control is an admission of failure. They'd rather it fall apart than admit that they failed or that they simply didn't want to do it anymore. But to let someone else have it and nurture it flourish to greater heights than they took it? An even bigger showcase of their 'failure'.

It's an interesting theory, and I have seen things play out that way in real life. I guess only time and events will show if this situation fits that mold or not.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com

Maybe that's because if they let it crash and burn, they can blame it on Amazon and bloggers, not necessarily in that order. And of course on readers, reviewers, and authors boycotting them because of what those bloggers said. (Never mind that there had been questions about them for a long time, many posted in this thread.)

Sadly, some will believe that version...

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

EvolvingK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccacroteau.com

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Tina posted in the comments. To add to her professional sins:making fun of an author's last name. Wow.

Classy.

I'm guessing this year's 'Romanticon' (aka Objectification of Men) will consist of an elderly 'caveman' and a few tired Underwood Devilled Ham Sandwiches and a jar of out-of-date olives.