A dog taught to drive a car, and quite well!

AnnaPappenheim

"Quod me alit, me extinguit."
Registered
Reaction score
Have you guys seen this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BWAK0J8Uhzk

I think it's incredible. A dog named Porter is taught to drive a Mini Cooper. The video shows a little of how he was trained, but mostly it's clips of him behind the wheel... driving!

Two things to notice:
1) The trainer is so confident that she walks IN FRONT OF the car while Porter drives.
2) The expression on Porter's face. He's carefully watching what he's doing-- monitoring the road, looking out of the side window, and checking in with his trainer. He actually looks like a rather chill driver :)

Enjoy!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Porter drives as well as I do, and certainly about as fast. Go, Porter! Of course, now that they've taught him the skills, once he gets the hang of the accelerator, he'll be chasing cars and passing them!

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
That video is hilarious. I don't think the dog would be able to drive nearly that well without its trainer there shouting commands. But the fact that it can drive that well at all is extremely impressive. Thanks for sharing!

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
That video is hilarious. I don't think the dog would be able to drive nearly that well without its trainer there shouting commands. But the fact that it can drive that well at all is extremely impressive. Thanks for sharing!

Agreed. His trainer is hooked up to a microphone and he gets audio on her in the car. She tells him what move to make and he makes it.

But yeah, still impressive! And he's definitely got the driver "look" down-- that sort of blasé expression.

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Porter drives as well as I do, and certainly about as fast. Go, Porter! Of course, now that they've taught him the skills, once he gets the hang of the accelerator, he'll be chasing cars and passing them!

I think he could contend with the majority of Florida drivers any day!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of human drivers that would benefit from a voice in their ear, shouting advice and instructions.