I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Howdy Friends!

I just came by to drop this here. :)

New%2Bcamera%2B032.jpg

nice try.... you're not dropping that thing off... you take it with you!!

OH... sorry,hon. I just spent four years... I mean hours... with my niece and nephew and sister, during which the chorus "I wanna go, I wanna go, I wanna go" was played ad infinitum. I luv those kids, but small doses!! Small doses. And they are just in the way when you are trying to get things done.

However, yours is too young to speak yet, so I should be a lot nicer to it!!

:)
it is a cute little thing.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, what a tiny little person.

And another person to turn into gardening. I recommend The Word system / wide beds, organic, something something. Its another Story's guide I believe. Very well done.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Everyone is very busy writing, and about six hours from now at least eight people are going to post that they wrote over 2k*. Right, everyone? Don't make me volunteer you.

* Not me, though, I'm busy packing.

I went over a galley--reading it aloud with the door closed so our guests and their 4 year old couldn't over hear me spewing expletives and violent fights. Also, smexiness.

Nothing like a kidlet opening the door every so often to make you realize how PG-13 your writing...isn't.

New Glasses! New Glasses! I can see what the hell I'm doing!

This seems like it can only bring havoc to the universe. ;)

Howdy Friends!

I just came by to drop this here. :)

New%2Bcamera%2B032.jpg

SO CUTE. *stifles hormones*

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, new glasses. A bad influence on your writing because youll want to stop and edit. Enjoy Junely :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
The Saga of the House continues. So last Friday (not yesterday, but a week+ ago) I presented the sellers with a fix-it list. After 8 days, they've finally responded, and they're fixing some of the less important sh*t that was in there just so there were items to negotiate out, but they've said that they: "had an electrician review the inspection report and he reported that the electrical burn evidence is from a past problem that was repaired and there is not a present danger or issue."

That would, to refresh your memory, be referring to the GIANT MELTED HOLE in the electrical panel I posted about here.

So, ugh, we've said we need a signed certification from a licensed electrician that the electrical system is safe, to code, and in acceptable working order. Anyone want to bet whether or not an electrician is willing to put his license on the line to call that good?

We also said it's non-negotiable. If they don't give in, that may mean No House. And I really love the house. But I also love NOT BEING ON FIRE. What a stupid-ass thing to balk at, when there were more than a few redshirt items just begging to be cut/negotiated down instead.

I am deeply discouraged and stressed. :(

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
We also said it's non-negotiable. If they don't give in, that may mean No House. And I really love the house. But I also love NOT BEING ON FIRE. What a stupid-ass thing to balk at, when there were more than a few redshirt items just begging to be cut/negotiated down instead.

I am deeply discouraged and stressed. :(

For what it's worth, you're probably doing the right thing. If they won't agree to it, it's quite likely they were just trying to pull a snow job. I don't even want to think about what potential additional cost to you it might entail if that crazy electrical mess is just a symptom of a much bigger electrical problem with the entire house.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
For what it's worth, you're probably doing the right thing. If they won't agree to it, it's quite likely they were just trying to pull a snow job. I don't even want to think about what potential additional cost to you it might entail if that crazy electrical mess is just a symptom of a much bigger electrical problem with the entire house.

I agree with Shoeless. Better to walk away than put yourself into an unsafe house.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Good morning cantinas :Sun:

It seems that the nationwide manhunt is over. The mounties have got their man.

Lots of reading to do today, and i seriously need to fix a paragraph in a story so that I can send it in for a competition.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening folks, I hope everyone is doing well. Here we had a perfect day for a little family bar-b-cue, or however you are supposed to spell it.

Perfect weather, not hot, not cold, little wind, green grass, happy 2 1/2 year old, neither mama nor papa were cranky. A good time was had by all. Mama is asleep on couch, little one is half-asleep while watching a video, papa is wondering why he is still awake.

No exciting stuff like nationwide manhunts here. Just sad stuff about sick and sad people doing horrible things. But I am in a happy place and won't go into detail.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Walk away Zan. Being in love with a problem house is what will get u in trouble. It sounds like a ill maintained POS. A pretty pos, but who cares. If it was treated like crap, you dont want it. I dont care if you get 10 safe letters. Walk away. There is another, properly loved, house out there for you.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
If this house were part of a joke, I'd be snickering. My uncle was an electrician and he had horror stories about substandard wiring and how dangerous it was and how expensive it could be to fix.

That picture you showed us was a giggle, if it was just another "what is it with people" story. But if you are seriously considering this place, it worries me. My advice isn't worth much in this since I know nothing about wiring myself. But I have to wonder if this wiring has anything to do with why they are selling? If they are balking at getting it taken care of, then they may know that it is a mess and will be expensive to fix. I am very cynical and always look at the bad side of things first though.

Can you afford to get your own electrician to go in and look at it? Can you get the city to do it? Since little Debio came into my life, I have become so very much more careful about these things. Not implying you aren't, but knowing that you are seriously looking at this place is giving me cringes. I keep imagining my family moving into a place with that problem. Be careful. It may really not be a problem anymore, but be careful

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Dang.

Local news....

Uri Geller is alive and well and bending spoons in Japan.

Where is the Amazing Randi when you need him?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

Thank you. That Nina Allan story was really awesome, so it's very good company to keep :)

--

My home inspector, who I trust absolutely, thinks the house is generally solid and good except for the obvious DIY stuff that needs fixing, and given the subtlety displayed in the homeowners' work so far, we're both fairly certain there's no significant hidden surprises -- it's just a matter of getting them to take care of the ones we've noted as problematic. And it's not like another buyer isn't going to find the same things and make the same demands, so why not just do it? They're in a hurry to get out, and one of them is already on the other side of the country. If it's a $ thing, why didn't they negotiate on the less critical issues, like the wobbly stair & porch rails? I don't get it.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People willing to burn a hole in the wall and leave it aren't exactly the sharpest hatchet in the shed...

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

Glad y'all liked the picture and thanks. :) I worked hard to make him that cute. ;)

Anyway, I'm just waiting for Mr. Kricket and Little Kricket to go to church so that Baby Kricket and I can have a few hours quiet here. Although Baby K has proven that he can sleep through just about anything.

Mr. K and I have figured out a good schedule at night so that we both get enough sleep (if not enough "us" time). So I'm feeling pretty well rested. But I'm still going to just sit around, read and eat cookies while they're gone.

Mr. K goes back to work tomorrow and that's when the real fun will begin. *crosses fingers*

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
oh boy... good luck, Kricket!! Hope all is well with Baby #2!

Zan... I hope it works out with the house. Stuff can always be fixed. Even if you take it out of the house price. I'll send up wishes to.. whatever diety takes care of house sales.. there has to be one, right?

It is so quiet and lovely here this morning! Cricket still has moments of what appears to be distress - she is lashing her tail a lot and doing a little crying, but then she goes and stares at the window and all is well. Sigh. The ducks are floating up and down and up and down the stream. The pond is like glass. My folks should be home from their trip soon - I hope my dad will get on it and send me my pictures so I can show you what my view is like.

I'm definitely editing today. Something that requires little movement... a good thing, as I can hardly walk, and I'm counting down the hours to when I can take my next Aleve.... for now, I have coffee.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Dang.

Local news....

Uri Geller is alive and well and bending spoons in Japan.

Where is the Amazing Randi when you need him?

Uri Geller is STILL alive?!

The Amazing Randi is a pretty cool guy. That one video up on YouTube with him debunking a some "telekinetic kid" who was using his breath is still fascinating/painful to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.