XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Check Duotrope's "search" function. I think you're able to enter word counts.
I've done that, and I usually get a lot of results. A lot of them look like "Fledgling", new magazines, and etc. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I know that not all ones labeled fledgling are bad but I still have to be careful in sending something there I think.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
oh, Tori... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

DAMN YOUR EYES!

oh wait... they already have been!

*Young Frankenstein reference!*

Damn this eye is right. Woke up this morning and it was worse instead of better. Already been to the regular dr. this morning, where she told me it was quite visible that it was getting worse. I am now being referred on to an eye dr. because she's not sure what the heck is going on either. So I go there this afternoon.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Damn this eye is right. Woke up this morning and it was worse instead of better. Already been to the regular dr. this morning, where she told me it was quite visible that it was getting worse. I am not being referred on to an eye dr. because she's not sure what the heck is going on either. So I go there this afternoon.

:(

:Hug2: Tori. I hope they figure out what's wrong, right quick.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
'Morning, Cantina! I'm later than usual as work has been extra un-fun the last couple days.

One of my friends, who reads primarily romance, decided to try Mira Grant's Feed on my suggestion. She texted me around 10 p.m. last night to let me know she sobbed through the last 10 percent of the book and loved it. I love when someone who avoids "zombie books" reads one and gets the emotional one-two punch. (It did the same thing to me.)

Also, if you haven't read Feed. Seriously, buy that thing. It's long but soooooo worth it.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all! Jumping into revisions this morning, yay!

*hugs Tori*

Which probably explains why when I put something down, I can never work out where I left it.

This happens to me when I put something somewhere "safe" so I don't lose it or forget where it is. Can pretty much kiss whatever it is goodbye at that point. :(

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. The "safe location" notion - yeah. Zoe has a little car-thing (the pedal makes the thing go forwards and backwards, depending on which position the "motion" button is in), and it has a little charger which I went and stuck somewhere to keep from losing it. I searched everywhere for the damn thing, knowing I would have put it somewhere that would keep me from throwing it out - turns out it was in the cupboard with all the drinks glasses. Took me the better part of a month to find it.

Yet another excellent example of why I should not be trusted to keep a hold of things...

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
LOL. The "safe location" notion - yeah. Zoe has a little car-thing (the pedal makes the thing go forwards and backwards, depending on which position the "motion" button is in), and it has a little charger which I went and stuck somewhere to keep from losing it. I searched everywhere for the damn thing, knowing I would have put it somewhere that would keep me from throwing it out - turns out it was in the cupboard with all the drinks glasses. Took me the better part of a month to find it.

Yet another excellent example of why I should not be trusted to keep a hold of things...
And which makes me wonder: what else is in that drinks cupboard...?

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I updated my blogs and wrote words to do it too. 404 words actually. That does count, right? Please say it counts.

Mmmm, words. They feel good on my fingertips.

:D

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any Fantasy publishers/magazines that have a 3K to 10K word count? The 3K or 10K can be starting values, stopping values, or whatever.

What fantasy pubs/mags do you read that feature stories of this length?

If the answer is "none", I suggest hitting up your local bookstore in the name of research (or check Amazon - many have gone digital) . If you want to publish, it pays to know the market.

Hope you start to improve, for reals, soon TJ!

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Sun room - fixed. Apparently there were these little drainage holes that got clogged. They made them bigger and a ton of water poured out. No charge. (I should hope not!)

And at work, we figured out who to install so I can remote desktop from my mac at home to my PC at work. Thus, I need not drag computers back and forth.

And I finished a bunch of projects at work.

And now I want to sleeeeep. But I still have 3 more hours of work.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee

If the answer is "none", I suggest hitting up your local bookstore in the name of research (or check . If you want to publish, it pays to know the market.

Hope you start to improve, for reals, soon TJ!
Most of the places I check for markets for anything I write are either on here, in books I read, or on Duotrope.com.

a) As for on here: I haven't really seen anything in Paying Markets that I either want to write for. It could be that I'm not looking hard enough but I don't know.

Most of the Fantasy publishers that I know of (Carina Press, Lyrical Press, Entangled Publishing) want 15K - 20K starting depending on who you're dealing with. I'm just not confident in myself enough to know that I can write that much yet. Maybe at some point, but not now though.

b) In Books : For fantasy, most of the books I get have a way higher word count than what I listed, and nine times out of ten, they are with a Big Six Publisher/Imprint.

I really wouldn't have such a problem with word count if I actually believed I could write that much, but I don't know if I can. I have yet to write anything that's 20K. I can't even bare to wrap my head around 90K+.

c) On Duotrope: Duotrope does give a lot of results, but like I said, a lot of the ones they list are fledgling. I don't know how safe that is, not that I have anything against start-ups.

I mostly asked because I thought someone would've had some suggestions before I go through Duotrope.

-----
Got some more written today. Also my grades for the semester are starting to come in. So far, so good.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the places I check for markets for anything I write are either on here, in books I read, or on Duotrope.com.

I think what Hillz' is trying to say is that you should be reading where you want to sub things (sorry if I'm misinterpreting your words, Hillz').

So check out the stories from the places on Duotrope that you're considering. And for that length, you may be looking at mainly magazines. Go to your local bookstore and check the fantasy magazines out and see if what they're putting out there is what you want to write.

Your best bet to research where to sub things is to read the things the publishers are putting out. No guidelines or advice will help you as much as getting out there and actually reading what you want to write.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

a) As for on here: I haven't really seen anything in Paying Markets that I either want to write for. It could be that I'm not looking hard enough but I don't know.

Most of the Fantasy publishers that I know of (Carina Press, Lyrical Press, Entangled Publishing) want 15K - 20K starting depending on who you're dealing with. I'm just not confident in myself enough to know that I can write that much yet. Maybe at some point, but not now though.

b) In Books : For fantasy, most of the books I get have a way higher word count than what I listed, and nine times out of ten, they are with a Big Six Publisher/Imprint.

I really wouldn't have such a problem with word count if I actually believed I could write that much, but I don't know if I can. I have yet to write anything that's 20K. I can't even bare to wrap my head around 90K+.

c) On Duotrope: Duotrope does give a lot of results, but like I said, a lot of the ones they list are fledgling. I don't know how safe that is, not that I have anything against start-ups.

I mostly asked because I thought someone would've had some suggestions before I go through Duotrope.

My suggestion is not to worry about selling at this point. Focus on reading in the genre and writing in the genre.

For short pieces, I've always been fond of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, but getting in there is *hard* and you really need to read the stories in magazine for several issues to understand what the editor is looking for. This is what Hillz is saying: Read in the actual markets to figure out where to submit.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I've done that, and I usually get a lot of results. A lot of them look like "Fledgling", new magazines, and etc. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I know that not all ones labeled fledgling are bad but I still have to be careful in sending something there I think.

I would worry less about fledgling vs. non-fledgling than I would about non-paying fledgling vs. anything else.

The biggest disadvantage to fledgling magazines is that the sample size you can take to get a sense of what they publish is small/non-existent. But the best way to find markets for your stories, as others have said, is to search duotrope, see what comes up, and pick up/download issues and READ. None of us here have read your work (as far as I know) and editor's tastes are typically very hard to pigeonhole in a way you can verbalize to someone else, because they tend to be much more complex than just liking a certain type of story -- there's subtle stylistic things, small details in character or settings, compatible sense of humor, etc. So, everyone is giving you the best advice there is, it's just not the easiest advice.

If you post in SYW, or you have a Beta who is more experienced, they may also be able to suggest target markets for a given work, but that's not their primary purpose.

If the answer is "none", I suggest hitting up your local bookstore in the name of research (or check . If you want to publish, it pays to know the market.

This is absolutely true. It's no coincidence that the two magazines I enjoy reading the most have also bought stories from me. (They've also rejected stories by me, but I don't hold that against them.)

Write the story first, and make it the best you can. *Then* figure out where you want to send it. Each of your stories will be enough different (or should be, anyway) that the considerations are going to be a little different too. Again, that's where knowing your markets comes in really handy.

If you haven't had a 20k story in you wanting to be told, that's why you haven't written one. Not everyone writes novels, and there are more than a handful of people on AW who write exclusively flash and do quite well at it.

I'm sure there are people who will strongly disagree with me on this, but IMHO, the best stories tend to be the ones that are driving the creativity car, if you know what I mean. If you start off saying, "I want to write a 2500 word story with a young PoC female character exploring themes of subjective perceptions of consent", you're not going to have the same magic as when you sit down at the keyboard and suddenly think, "Ooooh! Secret hippopotamus society! Set in a disco!" Part of creativity is letting go of control, then fighting for it back again during revision.

Well, yes. Book publishers tend to want books. If you don't write them, why are you worrying about it? And when and if you do, why NOT shoot for one of the Big Six? Or the top markets for shorts? So you get some rejections. Meh, whatever. You work your way down from the top, and where you land gives you concrete information on where you are. And then you work on landing higher the next time.

So don't until you're ready. Writing novels and writing shorts are like knowing tennis and knowing badminton. There are skills that come in handy across both, but they are different games. Being a novel writer doesn't automatically make you a higher class of writer than being a short story writer, or a poet, or anything else. Embrace your natural writing length and work on mastering it. Other lengths, styles, genres, you name it, will find a way to creep in there when they're ready for you.

Now, as far as how "safe" a market is, if they're a print pub and they are skeezy, that'll show up with googling because we writers are good at complaining about unfairness. If they're electronic, and their site is purple with yellow blinking text and background music, they're bad. Otherwise: do they *look* professional? Do they pay? Are there complaints from their authors? Keep up with Writer Beware (they tweet!) and maybe spend time on the Short Story or W1S1 rejectomancy boards, because there's a lot of info there about how writers are being treated. Start thinking about researching the market for a given story as being a lot like researching the details IN your story, except unlike the latter, market research gets easier the longer and better you work on it.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
oh, Tori... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

DAMN YOUR EYES!

oh wait... they already have been!

*Young Frankenstein reference!*

Damn this eye is right. Woke up this morning and it was worse instead of better. Already been to the regular dr. this morning, where she told me it was quite visible that it was getting worse. I am now being referred on to an eye dr. because she's not sure what the heck is going on either. So I go there this afternoon.

oh my gawd... what have I done????

I'm so sorry I damned your eyes....

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I know there's a big thing about non-paying markets, and "prestige" markets, but I prefer writing for people I like rather than magazines which are well-known or pay well. There are some titles I avoid subbing to, or buying, because of the parent corporation.

Personal choices. We are allowed to be eccentric.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
New Coworker: Why's your chair so low?

Me: So my feet can touch the floor.

New Coworker: Yeah, but why's it so low?

Me: Cripes! Because I am really short, okay? :mad:

New Coworker: Okay. *pause* Why are you dressed like a yuppie pirate from the '80s?

Me: I love you. :Sun:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New Coworker: Why's your chair so low?

Me: So my feet can touch the floor.

New Coworker: Yeah, but why's it so low?

Me: Cripes! Because I am really short, okay? :mad:

New Coworker: Okay. *pause* Why are you dressed like a yuppie pirate from the '80s?

Me: I love you. :Sun:

You are really short :heart:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Okay. New diagnosis. Not contagious eye bacteria to infect everything. Severe iritis (inflammation of the iris) that probably started because of the sinusy/fluid behind the ears thing and went way out of control.

Steroid eye drops every half hour for the rest of the evening to reduce the swelling and I go back in the morning to look things over and make sure what is supposed to happen is happening.

I seriously hope I improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.