XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Thanks for all of the help, guys. I'll be sure to see if I can find some markets that I'm interested in reading.

Oh, I wasn't saying that there was anything wrong with writing short stories or anything. I was just trying to point out that a lot of the publishers that I did read from didn't really apply to me because I don't write in that word count length as of yet.

I mean I'll be honest most of the publishers that I read from and do want to submit who also fall into my preferred word count length are romance publishers, like BeautifulTrouble Publishing, Decadent Publishing, and etc., and I don't really know where their line ends between Urban Fantasy with romantic/erotic themes (if they are in existence) and Paranormal Romance. So, I was just trying to have a back up plan in mind.

----------------------------------------

Got more grades in for the semester. I didn't get as high a grade in that class as I hoped to get, but it's fine I passed so, I don't have to take it again. Woot! So, I'm happy.

Last edited:

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
New Coworker: Why's your chair so low?

Me: So my feet can touch the floor.

New Coworker: Yeah, but why's it so low?

Me: Cripes! Because I am really short, okay? :mad:

New Coworker: Okay. *pause* Why are you dressed like a yuppie pirate from the '80s?

Me: I love you. :Sun:

:ROFL:

You are really short :heart:

She makes up for it with a tall...err big personality. :D

I do mean that in a good way, however odd it sounds.

Okay. New diagnosis. Not contagious eye bacteria to infect everything. Severe iritis (inflammation of the iris) that probably started because of the sinusy/fluid behind the ears thing and went way out of control.

Steroid eye drops every half hour for the rest of the evening to reduce the swelling and I go back in the morning to look things over and make sure what is supposed to happen is happening.

I seriously hope I improve.

I hope you start feeling better really soon. :( Eye issues suck. :Hug2:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any Fantasy publishers/magazines that have a 3K to 10K word count? The 3K or 10K can be starting values, stopping values, or whatever.

The last time I checked, there was a quarterly Canadian magazine anthology called On Spec that accepted and paid for genre fiction. I've had stuff published with them, their upper cap on short fiction was 6000 words.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Remember Hillz--you're not short, you're "fun-sized."

And Mouse is short. But nobody would say that to her face.

Unless they wanted to be stabbed multiple times by multiple stabby weapons.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TJ, now that you have a new diagnosis, here's hoping you improve.

And, soul crushing email sent to That Guy in 3... 2... yeah, whatever, I sent it before I came over here.

...Although, I could send another email saying that if he wants me to consider going on another date with him, he better buy me a horse and some expensive tack to go with it. Purely for science, of course.

:evil:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I know there's a big thing about non-paying markets, and "prestige" markets, but I prefer writing for people I like rather than magazines which are well-known or pay well. There are some titles I avoid subbing to, or buying, because of the parent corporation.

Oh, absolutely agreed, but you have to know a bit about the markets to be able to reach that kind of distinction. For a newbie writer? It's not a bad guideline to start out skeptical of brand new non-paying markets until you're convinced otherwise.

Okay. New diagnosis. Not contagious eye bacteria to infect everything. Severe iritis (inflammation of the iris) that probably started because of the sinusy/fluid behind the ears thing and went way out of control.

Yeeg! Let's hope they've got it this time, and everything looks better (pun only somewhat intended) tomorrow!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Someone needs to write an AtCT with Fen crushing souls. Or maybe just smibbles. Or maybe smibbles like souls.

Or selling smibbles to the devil...

err...

Never mind me. I'm going to go beach myself on the couch.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, see, I'll start up a smibble farm, only to be attacked by an army of amorous skunks. After fighting back the masses, I'll be set up with a guy who farms self esteem (poorly). On the second date he offers to come over later and shave my smibbles. I serve him festering broccoli and cheese, and in order to impress me he claims it's good and eats it all.

Shocked and appalled, I throw him in the rain barrel, which will add extra nutrients to the water. For you see, the smibble farm is just a cover for a dong plantation!

Then new characters are introduced, action occurs, and it ends in a cliff-hanger, thus allowing me to get even richer off the sequel. Fin.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, see my new sig :D

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Poor TJ :Hug2: I really hope your eye gets better. Having eye issues is not not good.

*sees Fen's sig* Oooo, shinny!

:D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Shiny indeed.

I've been thinking about those suggestions of Fen's. Nothing really SF is coming to the forefront of my mind, but I could weave a neat little horror piece from the ideas there...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those prompts might not make the final cut. Please suggest some of your own.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, they are awesome suggestions, it's just that the imagery which they are inducing is going in a certain direction. Perhaps I'm going to have to crack open a few issues of Astounding Stories or something. More fuel for the hamsters as they peddle like mad...

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score

Steroid eye drops every half hour for the rest of the evening to reduce the swelling and I go back in the morning to look things over and make sure what is supposed to happen is happening.

I seriously hope I improve.

:Hug2:

I've had iritis five times, over the last fifteen years, three times in my right eye, twice in my left, and you have my sympathies. The last time was last year.

Basically, steroid eyedrops are the cure, along with probably atropine drops for a while - and when the iritis has gone you reduce the dose gradually down to nothing. (Don't stop suddenly or it'll flare up again.)

The first time I had it, it got so bad, because we didn't know what it was, that I got sent to hospital and had a steroid injection. Yes, in my eye. I found out (later) that if I'd left it untreated for a great deal longer I could have gone blind in that eye.

Iritis can be a symptom of another condition, but just as often (as with me) there's no apparent cause and it just happens, probably an auto-immune disorder. Fortunately, this time I know what it is, so I need to go to the local hospital's eye clinic each time I have it.

And good morning Cantina.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning cantinas :Sun:

Eww, TJ, that sounds awful. Here's hoping it clears up promptly.

AtCT idea noted.

Fen, thanks for the prompts, I have bookmarked the thread.

This morning I have to put that fence panel in. The one I painted yesterday. So still no opportunity this morning at least, to write my story about the fridge.

Breakfast time then.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I wake to needles in the eye. Pun partially intended ;)

Just saw the thread, Fenika. Cool. Are all Fantasy sub-genres included, or is it a certain type of Fantasy/Sci-Fi?

Anything and everything SFF. Interstitchy stuff is welcome too.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi *yawn*

Baby refuses to sleep. But he's very hungry right now. So maybe he'll fall asleep with this bottle. Second one in an hour btw. Guess I need to start preparing larger bottles.

I'm thinking about trying to write right now but I'm so tired I'm not sure it's wise. I can't imagine how messed up it would be. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.