Status
Not open for further replies.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
The roof looks fantastic. It's a bit lighter than before. My attic is vented better now, and they replaced all the gutters and downspouts and flashed everything really, really nicely. They even took down the dormer window siding, flashed under it, cleaned the siding, and put it back up.

:hooray: Awesome.

We just had to do the whole new roof thing in April. Ours was a debacle, but it's nice to know you won't have to worry about it again for a long time.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Your story sounds cool, Silver.

Thanks. :D

--

Okay, so, I haven't written today and that's probably a bad thing. But I kind of knew I wasn't going to win Nano. I may try to write some today. But I don't think I'm going to stress over it. I did well. I wrote(and completed) my first novella, like ever. Plus I think WIP(the UF one) can't be wrapped up in 25K; I could be wrong though.

--

In other news:

The roof is done! The garden beds are a bit flat, but they're the ones I've neglected, so no harm, no foul.

The roof looks fantastic. It's a bit lighter than before. My attic is vented better now, and they replaced all the gutters and downspouts and flashed everything really, really nicely. They even took down the dormer window siding, flashed under it, cleaned the siding, and put it back up.

And they connected my rain barrel. I am YAY!

And now I don't have to deal with it until I'm 70. Huzzah!

Yay! Congrats! :hooray:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, rain barrel! You'll need it, Gina :)

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
"House spouse" is now officially my favourite word. So much better than "homemaker", yo.

And SQUEEEE! Baby sloths!

I'm watching Idiocracy and posting during commercial breaks. Holy effin' hell, this movie is so funny. I thought it was going to be kind of mediocre actually- boy was I wrong.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Aussie Multiquote, or: how did you manage 3 pages in 6 hours?!

You people talk. And talk and talk and talk:tongue

There be monsters.

Like, almost ALL of *there.* So stay here.

:D

Yes, stay here. With us.

Forever. *creepy smile*

:Wha:
Ok, forget that. RUN.

:D

Pfft. You know your in an interesting place here, at least. And I must say, never been freaked out by anything here. Had some huh? moments, but never freaked out. I was in PC&E yesterday- might need a while before going back :)

I keep going back to the thread (and the half dozen other threads with similar topics) and wondering if - just maybe - the geek culture has brought this all upon itself... My brain is still ticking over on the subject, but something useful ought to pop out when I'm trying not to think on it so much.

I don't know about that, but I was pretty much brought up with one variant or another of geek culture in my life, but only within my family enviroment. When I was really young, I was in a really multicultural area, so pokemon was about as universal as it got. When I was older, we lived in the country.

I remember being annoyed that I couldn't go down to the city and go to conventions and stuff. Now, looking at some of the stuff going down? I'm sort of glad I didn't. Would have ruined the experiance for me at that age. Now, with some knowledge about people in general, (because when I was 15/16 I presumed that if one person from a group said something, everyone thought it), I don't think it would ruin it for me, just make me shove that part of geekdom in the "ignore unless to dispel it" box, because there are guys out there who are perfectly wonderful people. And not boymen.

Like you guys :D

Hooray for coming up with the dramatic ending of a long story you've barely written anything of yet, especially if that ending happening would require a drastic change in the world the story takes place in...

I swear, my imagination is just trying to fuck with me at this point.

Also on a tangent: Is it really worth it to sell all my individual volumes of Doctor Who DVDs just to get Series 1-4 as boxsets then the Specials and Series 5 + 6 as Blu Ray box sets? Cause right now I have like 29 DVDs and they're just taking up more space than they need to. Plus because of the individual volume nature of the releases (like 3 episodes to a DVD), they lack many (often all) of the special features, and I'm a whore for special features.

Special features are always worth it. Always.

I'm a newbie still, and infrequent visitor.

Heyhey :welcome:

No. I find it quite warm really. Living in the UK American accents are still fairly exotic to me. it's just that the voice in my head had always been a version of me, currently fourtyish and female. Now it's Stephen King.

You know, I really am headed for the local mental institution aren't I? Thankfully, it's just across the road.

Honestly, and no offence, I find most American accents incredibly annoying. The only allowance I make is for a really slow, deep southern drawl, but only from a guy, and only if he looks hot. My brain is weird.

British accents on the other hand... :drool

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks. :D

Okay, so, I haven't written today and that's probably a bad thing. But I kind of knew I wasn't going to win Nano. I may try to write some today. But I don't think I'm going to stress over it. I did well. I wrote(and completed) my first novella, like ever. Plus I think WIP(the UF one) can't be wrapped up in 25K; I could be wrong though.

Indeed it does sound awesome. I think you should just get to it when you're ready - if you've almost won, then I'd say you've done plenty of work in the past month, and deserve a day off.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Special features are always worth it. Always.
See this is normally my justification for spending more on Special Edition DVDS if they're available. But to re-buy all my Doctor Who is no small feat. I have a lot of it, on account of being a huge nerd.

Plus I'm going to need to replace my Battlestar Galactica boxsets with the Blu Ray versions at some point too...

Also, you people are horrible distracting! I'm supposed to be watching Boardwalk Empire right now but you just keep sucking me back into this endless bantering.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Been writing today :)snoopy:) and somehow managed to make my heroine compare Fight Club and Sense and Sensibility in this quirky little scene. I don't know if it'll make it to the final version, but I love it.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
But to re-buy all my Doctor Who is no small feat. I have a lot of it, on account of being a huge nerd.

This.

It irks me no end that, after having shelled out far too many hard-earned bucks for the videotapes back in pre-DVD days, that they still don't have reasonably-priced full season sets of the earlier (pre-Eccleston) shows. Instead they have single stories for what is typically full-season prices. Pay $30 for Horror of Fang Rock? I think NOT.

And yet, I want my Who. :(

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
This.

It irks me no end that, after having shelled out far too many hard-earned bucks for the videotapes back in pre-DVD days, that they still don't have reasonably-priced full season sets of the earlier (pre-Eccleston) shows. Instead they have single stories for what is typically full-season prices. Pay $30 for Horror of Fang Rock? I think NOT.

And yet, I want my Who. :(
Maybe it's different in America but no Classic Doctor Who I've encountered has been that high priced. For scale's sake, right now I could order Horror of Fang Rock for £7.

This reminds me, I do need to buy the Classic Stories. I've only got The Space Museum and The Chase right now.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Indeed it does sound awesome. I think you should just get to it when you're ready - if you've almost won, then I'd say you've done plenty of work in the past month, and deserve a day off.

Yeah, I still have a lot of stuff to work out with this WIP. I spent so much time writing my first one. Well, what happened is that my Nano word count is 10K higher than my actual word count because I lost my first WIP due to my computer reformatting. (Yeah, I freaked out and was sad for a bit). So, yeah. I am still quite close though. Also in total I've almost written 50K this month.

Plus I still have so much I need to figure all what I listed before(the total word count and how the powers will work out) along with my magical system. I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to create actual spells, and if I do, what language to put them in (English, French, Spanish, or some other language). Gah! I wish I figured this out before. :scared:

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
:Soapbox:

Skip it you want, just a minute rant.

Australian politicians are stupid. So very very stupid. People are dying, and they're busy arguing, not actually talking with each other.

Sorry, but it's really pissing me off.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I thought that's what all politicians in multi-party systems did by their very nature? Sit around bickering like petulant children while they should be working together to fix blatant problems.

I've given up expecting anything from them, honestly.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how, but my light-hearted fantasy concept has just morphed into a dark tale of rebellion full of bleakness, misery and as much political commentary as I'm capable of (not a lot, trust me).

Maybe I've just been way too into Les Mis lately and it's depressing tone has rubbed off on me.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Refugees. We had a boat go down off the coast last week, and all they can do is blame each other. And it's not even a matter of policy - they're essentially the same: both favour offshore processing, just in different countries. Maybe it's just me, but I can't see why they can't just compromise when their policies are so similar. Then again, I can't say I know every little detail of the policies either, so there's that. But that's not my point - the point is how they're going about things: like kindergarden children, on all sides of politics.

Meanwhile, 30 people are dead, and 50 unaccounted for in the pacific ocean. I'm at the stage where I don't care what they do, or the particulates of it. They just need to stop blaming each other, and do their job already.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
They just need to stop blaming each other, and do their job already.
You have just summed up all partisan politics in one sentence.

But yeah, that's a pretty messed up situation and they are morons for not putting aside political differences in favour of, you know, helping people.

Then again politicians have reputations as scumbags for a damn good reason, so I can't say I'm surprised the bickering is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.