The Novel Challenge Hub

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Good work, everyone! Keep up!

Despite an involved week and some small reorganizations of material (the chapters have been splitting off and turning into two or three chapters), I'm still on schedule.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
2150 words. Not quite at the 3k minimum i set myself yesterday, but i'm happy with it. I need to get back to writing every day :)

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Sometimes, having a writer's brain makes certain freshman writing classes very, very frustrating. Like when the teacher gives examples of openings, and the very worst one is the only one she claims is a "good" opening. If the essay is so boring it's unreadable, how does that equal a good paper? Can't argue anything if you put the reader to sleep. Argh! :Headbang:

I wrote 958 words today! And it's a single scene! And it's rough and has a lot of stock gesturing, but different stock gestures than I usually write, so I don't mind quite so much... theoretically. And it's words! Yay! And now the WIP is officially... about 27 words away from 5k! Yay! And did I mention it's WORDS?? :D :D :D

And I lost my watch last week. ...but I know it's in my room. ...because it beeps at me.

Every.
Freaking.
Hour.

Not even ON the hour. It beeps at nn:55. On the dot.

Every freaking hour. *twitch*

And I can't for the life of me find it. :cry:

...I hate my life. ...except for the writing. And the parts that don't suck. Which is technically most of them. But that does not have the dramatic impact of "I hate my life." ...sigh.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I wrote 958 words today! And it's a single scene! And it's rough and has a lot of stock gesturing, but different stock gestures than I usually write, so I don't mind quite so much... theoretically. And it's words! Yay! And now the WIP is officially... about 27 words away from 5k! Yay! And did I mention it's WORDS?? :D :D :D
:hooray: Lilli! Yay! :e2cheer: :partyguy:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, having a writer's brain makes certain freshman writing classes very, very frustrating. Like when the teacher gives examples of openings, and the very worst one is the only one she claims is a "good" opening. If the essay is so boring it's unreadable, how does that equal a good paper? Can't argue anything if you put the reader to sleep. Argh! :Headbang:

And I lost my watch last week. ...but I know it's in my room. ...because it beeps at me.

Every.
Freaking.
Hour.

Not even ON the hour. It beeps at nn:55. On the dot.

Every freaking hour. *twitch*

And I can't for the life of me find it. :cry:

...I hate my life. ...except for the writing. And the parts that don't suck. Which is technically most of them. But that does not have the dramatic impact of "I hate my life." ...sigh.

I've had a couple of editors like your teacher... [insert any frownie you like...or dislike]

Congrats on the WORDS! Yay for words!

About that watch: could you trace it through its beeps? Seems to me it ought to be possible...

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sam K.

Registered
Reaction score
Go Lilli! I'd also like to note I also lost my watch two weeks ago - although mine unfortunately is not beeping, so whether it has been stolen from my wrist while out or is kicking around somewhere...is a mystery. But going to have to come to the conclusion there's some watch poltergeist hanging around if you've lost yours too...hmm.

I have been very bad during January. I promised myself to get outline the very seed of an idea I have that I want written by next June (2013)...but so far, nothing. I haven't even had the time to think about it.

While trying to make sure my short fiction isn't overrun by essays and articles I have due within very short time periods, any novel work seems to have been put on the back burner :(

Hopefully I may find time next week after I finished an article on a local council meeting (yaaaaawn). But I can't help but feel a little down about it - esp. when even my short fiction this last week and a half hasn't seen much action other than a little plot development in my head.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
Shelving Bless the Rains and picking up Cassiopeia, which is an actual novel-length piece.

So. At 15K right now, estimated total 70K. I can do this *firm*

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Nice word counts guys!
For me I just passed 12k.... and against my better judgement, posted in syw, soooo, i guess i I'll see if there's anything I need to work on while i work towards 15 in hiding.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Nice going, peeps. I just got home from work and had some chocolate. Which means i might just do some writing.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Miss me? I took a few weeks off after finishing the Gothic Romance. But now I'm editing my urban fantasy. I finished a new scene and edited 10k.

I always have troubles with writing vs. wanting to get published vs. my self-confidence. I feel like a dog chasing my own tail. I want to get published. I think it's everyone's dream that writes, unless you are just a total intellectual. I dream of pubbing and yes, selling movie rights. Shoot me. Judge me. Whatever. The thing is, reading the blogs, and the tweets and the "industry" noise bums me the hell out. Everybody wants you to write to formula or "what sells", while at the same time, we all know writing to trend is stupid, because by the time you get your work out there, that trend is over. So it's like you have to be psychic or something.

Or. You just be a writer. <-- wow, what a terrible sentence, but I just edited 10k today and I'm a little fried. I just want to be a writer - screw trends, just write what you want to write. So that's what I do, hoping it works out and someone agrees with me about what I've written. #1 to me is liking my own story, writing what I want to read.

And today - I realized I like my story. A lot.

I'm cool with that.

Last edited:

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Tired tonight. Even so, I got about 800 words in today. I've been getting a bit written here and there, so the total word count is somewhere around 24,000 out of 40K for Daemons and Shadows.

I've been doing publishing stuff, having gotten another e-book out and waiting for the artist to finish up the trade paperback cover. :popcorn: He has a life. :sarcasm Go figure.

General comments about writing: I've been watching too much of The Tudors-- my protag got laid twice in one day. :ROFL::roll: He's 17-- he can handle it. :ROFL: Gratuitous? Not really, and it's PG-13, so it's not particularly smutty.

Tonight writing felt comfortable, despite my tiredness. I realize I have to develop some of the minor characters a little more fully.

I have to get back to editing some other books soon. Ah, this too shall pass.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Waah... only wrote about 250 words yesterday, despite totally having the inspiration for maybe at least another 1k, but that's totally fine. I wasn't really up to writing. (I blame the survival horror thing I'm reading. Which actually is not all that scary. Read about it on TVTropes, and it scared the crap out of me, but picked it up anyway because apparently I'm masochistic that way, but actually reading it is not anywhere near scary for me. Huh. Go figure. Interesting story, though...)

Otherwise, the writing's still slow but steady, still haven't missed a day of 100 words since last Wednesday, and I've totally started skipping around to scenes. I mean, I'm not sure this is a good idea, since I totally don't know what's happening around said scenes, but they're pretty fun. And they involve what has to be one of my favoritest characters ever that I've created, so it's all good. :D

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Or. You just be a writer. <-- wow, what a terrible sentence, but I just edited 10k today and I'm a little fried. I just want to be a writer - screw trends, just write what you want to write. So that's what I do, hoping it works out and someone agrees with me about what I've written. #1 to me is liking my own story, writing what I want to read.

I'm cool with that.
This is spot on, Bettie. At least in my opinion. Once I stopped focusing on "selling" my novel as a goal, it was really freeing. I like my story. And I don't have much choice about whether to write it or not. :Shrug: It seems to not want to leave me alone until I do. So, I'll write it, because I like it, and maybe I can sell it in the end. If not, I'll start a new one and go from there.

I try not to read the "industry" stuff anymore. It's not going to help me get this thing written anyway. I'm better off waiting until it's done, then reading it and making a few tweaks if necessary. :tongue

General comments about writing: I've been watching too much of The Tudors-- my protag got laid twice in one day. :ROFL::roll: He's 17-- he can handle it.
Niiiiice. :D To be 17 again...

I mean, I'm not sure this is a good idea, since I totally don't know what's happening around said scenes, but they're pretty fun. And they involve what has to be one of my favoritest characters ever that I've created, so it's all good. :D
Ooh, I'm guilty of that, too. Not this time around, though. I get all off on tangents and stuff when I do that, and it's not good.

I've switched to just jotting down my notes for the scenes, maybe a line or two of dialogue. But, you're right, it is a good/fun way to play with your characters a little, even if you don't end up using the scene, or you end up rewriting it to fit what comes before and after.
Good luck! I love that stage of writing something, when the scenes just keep coming to you and demand to be written. :D

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, Bettielee, I was wondering if you'd deserted us. Glad you like what you write. I write because I like writers' high and I have something to say. Publishing is good, but the "rules" have been tacked to so many bulletin boards they're full of holes.

Good to hear from you too (actually three :)), Sky Warrior, LilliCray and Soapdish.

I'm a bit slow at the moment. I always get this way when I have a section finished. It'll speed up to my usual slow and steady soon.

Blessings to all,

Siri Kirpal

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
I always have troubles with writing vs. wanting to get published vs. my self-confidence. I feel like a dog chasing my own tail. I want to get published. I think it's everyone's dream that writes, unless you are just a total intellectual. I dream of pubbing and yes, selling movie rights. Shoot me. Judge me. Whatever. The thing is, reading the blogs, and the tweets and the "industry" noise bums me the hell out. Everybody wants you to write to formula or "what sells", while at the same time, we all know writing to trend is stupid, because by the time you get your work out there, that trend is over. So it's like you have to be psychic or something.

I'm cool with that.

Can I give you some advice? (Since you're writing about this, I figure you might want to hear from someone who has more than 30 books published by more than 7 publishers, both NY and small press, and who is now in the publishing business, myself). :Lecture:

I know a lot of folks say write what's popular at the moment. That's all well and good, but as a publishing house, I'm tired of the current trends. Don't get me wrong, I pander to the same popular stuff as everyone else, but that's not my company's sole diet. Right now, I have books that are published and in the works that are science fiction, near mainstream, epic fantasy, horror, and historical as well as the popular urban fantasy.

Popular sells, but no one, has an accurate Ouija board. No one knows what the next big trend is, so they chase after the same old stuff. Most big houses won't go after new stuff because it's too much of a risk. Small press is more likely to take a chance. And, quite frankly, even if a small press doesn't pick you up, there is always, ALWAYS self-publishing. It doesn't have the same stigma anymore.

Right now, you can play in the big leagues with the big guys in e-books. I would, however, recommend getting an editor and a professional cover artist. Don't put out trash--your readers will rake you over the coals for it.

Keep doing what you're doing. You're right--if you're happy with the book, someone else will be. I have a view into the publishing industry, and the big houses are having a tougher time than you think.

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Despite an involved week and some small reorganizations of material (the chapters have been splitting off and turning into two or three chapters), I'm still on schedule.

:hooray: Yay, Siri! :e2woo:

2150 words. Not quite at the 3k minimum i set myself yesterday, but i'm happy with it. I need to get back to writing every day :)

I'm with you there, Izz! Good job!:e2cheer:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Good work everyone! And thank you for your feedbacks, especially:

snip

Keep doing what you're doing. You're right--if you're happy with the book, someone else will be. I have a view into the publishing industry, and the big houses are having a tougher time than you think.

yeah - this is pretty much the conclusion I've come to. It's just hard to find a balance between "listening to the publishing machine and its noise" because, let's face it, you have to be educated about it, and "trying to be a writer". Too much of one gets in the way of the other.

I appreciate your advice and will implement it - and it's nice to see someone in publishing say that. :) I enjoyed your lecture. :)