• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
On my mind: WTF am I going to do in the next part?

I'm discovery writing. *shivers* Trying to see how I do with this.

I've got 10K of drama/action-packed, highly detailed, quick moving, complication after complication, characters popping up everywhere in anyway possible... and... yeah. I've got a heading, and lots of unanswered questions and lots of goals for the characters, but no foreseeable path.

I'm just going to focus on the next 10K after this, but I just don't know how to start off.

I'll figure it out soon enough. Maybe I'll ask my characters what they want.

Reaction score
I hope to start researching for my term paper on media violence, as well as writing a review of a history book centering around the battle of Teutoberg Forest. Maybe I could squeeze in some Connorverse time.

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
Wondering what to write and to what goal. I've got plenty of pieces that languish on my usb, whether to add another or try and revise an old one.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhat surprised that even now, entering the fifth month of working on this same piece almost continuously, I'm still excited about it and interested in it.

Also, curious what I would find if I were to go back and read the very first draft, because after so many revisions and rewrites, I can't even remember where these ideas originated.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
Thinking about scrapping my WIP. I've tried slogging through and editing it, but that's painful. Some parts are decent, but it's like pulling teeth.

Sochitelya

Crankypants
Registered
Reaction score
'Why are all my ideas so stupid?' Still, at least I'm brainstorming again instead of sitting around like a potato.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Thinking about scrapping my WIP.

In a word: don't. Put it away and pretend it doesn't exist. Lie to yourself if you have to, but go work on something else and come back to it in six months. I guarantee you will feel completely different about it -- in a good way.

As for my own WIP (i.e., the 10' headless zombie apocalypse) I'm at the very edge of the precipice and wish to Hell real-life would leave me alone long enough to finish it. *headdesk*

sarawrites

rolling up her sleeves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saravallejo.com
In regards to grad school, I've found a program that I like even more than the one that waitlisted me. Maybe the best program out there for me. I'd get to focus on YA, even, gasp, genre YA. My favorite YA author, Kristen Cashore, even went there! How cool is that?!

In writing news, the material I'm going to submit as part of my application and the novel in progress I'm working on? Coming out so beautifully it makes me want to weep.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Thinking about scrapping my WIP. I've tried slogging through and editing it, but that's painful. Some parts are decent, but it's like pulling teeth.

I think all the time with my first drafts. They're hard to get through with me. I can't count how many I've deleted/scrapped. I just can't seem to get over thinking how bad they are, and I end up deleting them.

aixsponsa

This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennygaines.wordpress.com
Sometimes I just need a day off from writing.

Yesterday, I tried to begin the next chapter in my novel, and just could not write. No inspiration, no motivation. So I spent the day painting [digitally] instead. This morning, as soon as I woke up, I resolved why I had trouble writing yesterday (not enough conflict in the scene) and will be correcting that today.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Aix: If it helps, sometimes I experiment with a different writing medium to explore the inner world of my own feelings and thoughts. Not a story, but rather explore my own world views.

And then come back to writing the story later with a clearer head and hopefully more wisdom. Even then I might not be to much wiser, I hopefully have a clearer head. I take a philosophy like finding lost things in a bed room. Clearer heads prevails when finding lost things.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
I'm worried that I'm rubbish.

aixsponsa

This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennygaines.wordpress.com
Aix: If it helps, sometimes I experiment with a different writing medium to explore the inner world of my own feelings and thoughts. Not a story, but rather explore my own world views.

And then come back to writing the story later with a clearer head and hopefully more wisdom. Even then I might not be to much wiser, I hopefully have a clearer head. I take a philosophy like finding lost things in a bed room. Clearer heads prevails when finding lost things.

Wise words, and true! I do feel more inspired today after letting my creative abilities take a different path for a little while.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I wish I can tell myself, I need to write rubbish so I know how to improve my rubbish.

Quantum1019

Registered
Reaction score
On my mind right now: that I'm getting tired of interviews (doing my third one in a week or so) and want to get back to writing about my characters instead of talking about myself. I'm grateful for the chance to do interviews, but it can be more work than it sounds like!

MormonMobster

Registered
Reaction score
Still frustrated about my writing. Still dissatisfied with my plodding, impersonal writing style. Still annoyed by the fact that I can't hold interest in my own settings for more than a few days. Still bitter that my settings don't "flow" very well. Still boggled by the fact that others can make their characters seem natural, while mine feel stiff and robotic. And lastly, still frustrated that while I want to come up with new settings, my mind keeps getting drawn back to the settings I don't really feel like writing about.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Yea I often edit as I go, which is a huge problem when wanting word count.

amy--amy

Registered
Reaction score
It's quite nice to see that my writing style has improved during my WIP. I'm now doing a first edit, and I need to change a lot more in the first half than in the second half. My voice has become more consistent, I use a lot less adverbs...

Quite good progress for a beginner! :D