Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Holy crow. This is where VT is today at the Amherst B&N:

VT-at-BN-e1360102871115-225x300.jpg

"Noteworthy Fiction." Color me gobsmacked.

Just below he sign itself is a stack of evie's book.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Kia, I'm so glad Sable kitty is home and doing better!!

I think maybe I knew it's civil unions and not marriage in England, but I don't know. I hope it passes! Either way, it's one of my many, many reasons I want to move to England. (The history, the countryside, and the burgeoning subfield of sociology that I do being the others; the food, not so much -- being a vegetarian in Cornwall was tough.) I'd also settle for moving to NZ. : )

ETA: Lily, that's so great!!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
wonderful foto, lily pie!

may--i found the vegetarian
options plentiful in my recent visits.
and in laws are in countryside similar
to cornwall. they had veggie option
for english breakfast and the pub did
a sunday roast that was a veggie loaf
that was delicious. their Burger King even
served veggie burgers in 1995--but that
might have stopped?

just found out S P3rkins who wrote 4nna
and the French K1ss will be at retreat when
i'm there. i've met her a few times but never
hung out. should be fun. she seems super nice
and i loved Anna. addictive read!

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Holy crow. This is where VT is today at the Amherst B&N:

VT-at-BN-e1360102871115-225x300.jpg

"Noteworthy Fiction." Color me gobsmacked.

Just below he sign itself is a stack of evie's book.
Wooohooo. Go, Lily!

I think maybe I knew it's civil unions and not marriage in England, but I don't know.
I knew this because we have a sneaky Conservative government in our country. They say they don't want to reopen certain subject for debate, including gay marriage, but we recently had a couple who'd obtained a civil marriage in the UK and now wanted to divorce in Canada. (They've become residents.) The Crown argued they couldn't get a divorce here. I gather if the Crown won--and they didn't--it would have put a hole in the legitimacy of gay marriage.

Afternoon, all. Yesterday I gave up to outside things. Today was supposed to be different. It hasn't been until now, but I declare Haupe-writing time open. :snoopy:

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Excellent photo, Lily! And so well deserved!

Also, makes me happy to see a giant stack of a Purgie book featuring LGBT issues among other awesome things prominently displayed at a B&N! Double win!

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Lily!!!

Hugs/congrats to everyone else as appropriate. I am too drained and down to catch up. This class I'm teaching...I don't know. No major errors (that I noticed) today, but I feel like I'm just flailing around.

Hope everyone else has had a better Tuesday.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
{{{Jenn & O}}} How old is your little guy? Best wishes to him and your family. That's tough.

Kia, glad to hear Kitty is improving! May it continue. Poor thing.

Lily, hooray! That's awesome. Do they know you at the bookstore or was it totally just random?

So we may actually be talking ourselves out of Gawain right now. It's that or Cyrano. We're both up in the air. Oh well, six months to go, it'll work itself out... right? :) (Although my husband keeps saying Gilgamesh, and I'm like, NO.)

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, again, for all your kind words and reps. This has been our "normal" for almost two years now. We do what we have to do, and mostly it's just fine and we just keep going, but I do have days like today where I just need to stomp my feet and complain about it. Thanks for listening to me whine.:D

*smooches purgies*

LILY!!! LOVE THE PICTURE OF YOU AND THE BOOKS!:D

OMG I also really love the drunk penguin cake!

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Just realized my eight-year-old was reading over my shoulder as I caught up on purgatory. Scanned quickly for pork chops. Happily found nothing I needed to explain. Or so I thought.

The following conversation ensued:

Her: Why is everyone talking about Lily?
Me: Because her book just came out.
Her: Cool.

Congrats, Lily.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Re: the name: Which sounds better with your last name?

Aaaaagh, I dunno. Haha. They both sound equally good to me. What happened was we started talking about middle names, and I sorta rejected Cyrano because two "big" names is a bit much and I wanted to save that in case we ever have ANOTHER boy (I'm still holding out for three). But then I was like, well wait, I really DO like Cyrano. Do I like it more than Gawain? So now we're back to square one. :)

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
hi mike!

jenn, per rep, YES! amazing grandma
actually specializes in barre pilates and
it *does* kill. i am not brave enough
to take her full barre class for 50 min.

but if you can, try the combo.
it is intense and great for cardio & toning.

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Evening!

Once again, I have not much to say, but I figured I should stop in and say it.

Jen, it's SO frustrating and sad to see someone change like that. I hope things continue to improve for you and O.

I think I repped on everything else (except the things I forgot or when my browser wouldn't let me).

Saw a lovely review for D33P D0WN in the Cedar Rapids paper, which was totally unexpected and v. cool (she invoked Willa Cather! WHEE!)

I'm trying to work on a short story, but not much progress so far. I'm hoping inspiration will hit soon (I have a lot of the pieces, it's just putting them together). Off to monkey with it now....

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
billie - that is awesome about the mention in the paper - go you!

cindy - i'm too weak for any of it. i see the people taking the class and it looks HARD. i have been a lazy bum about working out lately!

mike that is funny. also, you're lucky your little one read when she did. you never know what you're going to see in this thread.

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
Humbling....

For a while now I've been all full of myself--even more than most other times. Not so much because my novel's out to readers and readers are liking it, but because not one, none, has reported back a typo, a missing word, a garbled sentence. That's huge for us on the SP path.

Well, easy Big Boy, says the God of Writers. Here's why.

Our friend Jill bought mine for her new beau, John. He read it is two days, loved it, says our friend Jill. John gave it to Jill to read next. Jill is dyslectic. She has over decades forced herself to read, slowly, patiently, putting everything in its place. Jill spots errors like a hawk spots mice from twenty feet. They jump out at her. Well, Jill found four in the whole book. When she told me, I about passed out. When she showed me, I was ok again. They are of the kind that most eye-minds (other than Lil's and Para's and a few others around here) fix without noticing. Multiple lessons there....

I remain a lucky fellow for many reasons and now because the next uploads wil be perfect, will pass the test of the unusual reader. g.

Status
Not open for further replies.