OT: What Was This Guy Doing?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I walk for exercise. Twice in recent days I've see the same guy--a well-muscled 20-something in running clothes--on all fours, his butt his highest point, moving forward on his palms and the balls of his feet as fast as he could go. (I'm pretty sure I've also seen this guy running.)

What might his purpose or goal be for this? I'd ask him, but it's clear he's intensely focused, working really hard, and I don't want to break that.

Maryn, ever so curious

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not really like that. Let me see if any of the other videos on hand walking show what this guy was doing.

Hm. Nope. The distance between his hands and feet didn't change like the guy in the tutorial who was clearly working toward extending the hamstrings. It was more like a person crawling as fast as he could, except he was on his feet rather than his knees.

Maryn, who should just ask him if she sees him again

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Probably crossfit. Whenever I see someone doing some weird exercise at the gym I assume it's crossfit.

In other words, I don't know.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not just in public, but over a path strewn with acorns, leaves, and snails. No gloves.

Maryn, not Turkish

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Welll...... let's just say he wouldn't do that where I live! All sorts of things would happen to him!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure that must exercise some muscle group that's specific to something he wants to achieve (the crossfit explanation.)

Either that or he is under an extremely powerful and awkward curse.

Keep us posted, please.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Probably crossfit. Whenever I see someone doing some weird exercise at the gym I assume it's crossfit.

In other words, I don't know.
Yeah, I'd guess "cross training" too. Doing that will help increase upper body strength/endurance (maybe he also likes to swim but doesn't have as much access to a pool as he wants) and help with "overall physical fitness."

He may be doing it to be a better runner, but I don't think crosstraining will actually help with that. I've read that elite runners only do two things to train, run and rest.

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps he's practicing for his part playing a large, fluffy dog in a play.

Quite unique to say the least.

I have a 20-something guy near me who does that prancercize thing down the street every day. He always wears a t-shirt and knee socks the same color. Lovely, but your high-speed creeper wins.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's an interesting mix of thoughts: He's a furry on weekends, but his arms and shoulders can't maintain the posture long enough to please his, ah, alpha dog.

Maryn, kind of twisted

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like something I used to do for HS wrestling - called bear-crawls (I think?). Made sense for a wrestler to build up speed and agility while low to the ground and get the core strong.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good hypothesis. It was obvious it would work his core as much as anything. His legs were getting a good stretch, sure, and the shoulders and arms were taking unaccustomed weight, but maintaining that posture must have worked his abs and obliques and such really hard.

It was tempting to pat his ass as I went by, but I resisted.

Maryn, classy like that

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-grok-crawl/#axzz3FkT7t2H6

The Grok crawl is ultimately about crawling, and it does use the classic bear crawl as a starting point, but the similarities stop there. To perform the Grok crawl, get in the bear crawl position – on all fours, back straight, butt slightly raised, core tight – and crawl quickly, using your arms and back to pull you as your legs drive you forward.

robeiae, helpful as always

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's not going to, like, sparkle, is he?

Maryn, shuddering