F1 2015 Year of the kids

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
That's right, at age 17 Max Verstappen has a super license...
Sebastian is in a red car...
Marussia reborn into Manor...
The Hulk returns.
While Fernado thinks he's 14 and had a go-cart accident...

If that's not weird enough, we can always start racing.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Had to watch the race today. Oddly not engaging. It could be my mood. I shall nap and try again next time.

Schwarzenegger doing the post-race interview was surreal. And very awkward.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Not you, Perks. Just a fairly dull race. About the only action was Jenson holding off Checo for last place - I kid you not.

As a McLaren fan, I don't know whether to be happy that one of the cars did a whole weekend without exploding, or fearsomely disappointed at just how far off the pace they are. At the moment I'm plumping for the former...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The McLaren situation is grim. The whole attrition problem at Melbourne was cause for concern. It'll get better, because, well...

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Gotta say, after what's happened to Honda - and Renault, to an extent - with these engines, any new manufacturer still wanting to join the series has to be out of their tiny minds.

Isn't that the opposite effect than intended with the new tech?

I am a big supporter of the new engine technology - what Mercedes have done in terms of power-to-efficiency is nothing short of staggering - but so quickly restricting down to four PUs a season and not having any in-season testing is a problem, in my view.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
The whole attrition problem at Melbourne was cause for concern. It'll get better, because, well...

LOL. It's expected. It's Melbourne. Better than only 6! (2008)

so quickly restricting down to four PUs a season and not having any in-season testing is a problem, in my view.

I agree. That part is ridiculous.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It's like "hey guys! we want to bring the engineering back to F1! here's some super-exciting new tech to play with! but you can't test it. right first time, right? ... right?"

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Shakin' my head. I know part of it's to save money, but it's got to be expensive as hell to come all the way to Melbourne to blow up.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/03/renault-could-buy-toro-rosso-or-quit-f1-abiteboul/

* It has emerged that F1 bosses are set to agree a dramatic 11th hour change of rules with an extra engine being made available to each driver, raising the limit from four to five engines for the 2015 season. This was discussed between Bernie Ecclestone and the F1 Strategy Group teams. It will require sign off by the FIA.
With Red Bull and McLaren already one engine down after Melbourne, there was enthusiasm for the change, and it will provide greater flexibility in the use of the remaining tokens through the season.

Sensible decisions? in F1? Surely not.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I may never get used to this seb-in-red thing...

it's just wrong.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Mistakes happen, even in the trailer. Wolf apologized on the radio and to the media afterwards. He knows the team blew it. I (for once) have to give Hamilton credit for behaving well. He actually said "I'm the current champion and I need to act like one" in a post race interview. I was stunned.

For me, this Monaco result makes up for the one where he got nick-named Wham-ilton for playing bumper cars and just shunting people out of his way. Now that karma is even, I'm sure he'll win it again. If he can continue to address the public as a polite, well-mannered, and mature professional, then he's won way more than a car race!

(And yes, bravo to Roseberg!)

Oh! Speaking of successful Monaco winners and great F1 drivers.... congrats to Juan Pablo Montoya for winning the Indy 500 - fifteen years after his rookie win! Wow. All he needs to do now is win the 24 Houres de Lemans and he would rewrite the history books on greatest race car driver ever... Dan Gurney would have to finally scoot over. =)

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Mistakes happen, even in the trailer. Wolf apologized on the radio and to the media afterwards. He knows the team blew it. I (for once) have to give Hamilton credit for behaving well. He actually said "I'm the current champion and I need to act like one" in a post race interview. I was stunned.

For me, this Monaco result makes up for the one where he got nick-named Wham-ilton for playing bumper cars and just shunting people out of his way. Now that karma is even, I'm sure he'll win it again. If he can continue to address the public as a polite, well-mannered, and mature professional, then he's won way more than a car race!

Seconded. I am not a Ham fan, but I was rooting for him to make the overtakes at the end. Good, mature reaction from him and a lot of respect gained.

(And yes, bravo to Roseberg!)

Meh. He drove okay.

Tbh, best drive of the day from me was Perez, and with my McLaren hat on I was willing him to have a bad pitstop or something - but no, he was faultless the whole way. Credit where it's due.