Camp JulyNoWriMo!

JacobS.Tucker

A Wannabe F. Scott Fitzgerald
Registered
Reaction score
Website
parisandprose.com
That's the plan. :)

I'm going to edit the initial post for those who say they're interested in joining a cabin. List it all up and such as suggested. Then around the 28th, a couple of days before it all kicks off, we can pop out some invites.

ETA:
Done!

Not wanting to make assumptions, I've only listed people that have said yes they want to join a cabin. Let me know if you've already posted and want to be included!

Glad to hear it's done! Don't forget to put me on that list, for sure!

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I'm doing Camp NaNoWriMo in July, with the double jeopardy of running a once a week Camp NaNoWriMo workshop at my library.

Thankfully, I do have a fairly cogent (I hope? I think?) idea for a fantasy novel, and I'll hopefully make 50k with it. I also more or less have the sessions planned, with Important Topics in Writing™ coupled with prompts and freewrite time. Now to see what kind of a group I get....

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I have never done one of these, and I have a newbie question. I just started a WIP that I'm very excited about. I start my new job in August, so I am very motivated to finish the WIP by the end of July. I expect WIP to be 80k total. To participate in camp, can you start a longer work before hand? Or would I be cheating? I expect that I'll need to write at least 50k in July, but it won't be from the beginning.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca

Thank you very much :)

I have never done one of these, and I have a newbie question. I just started a WIP that I'm very excited about. I start my new job in August, so I am very motivated to finish the WIP by the end of July. I expect WIP to be 80k total. To participate in camp, can you start a longer work before hand? Or would I be cheating? I expect that I'll need to write at least 50k in July, but it won't be from the beginning.

The recommendation is for a new project, but a pre-existing one works, too (FAQ). You just only count the words written in July when updating your word count :)

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
The recommendation is for a new project, but a pre-existing one works, too (FAQ). You just only count the words written in July when updating your word count :)

That's awesome! I'm happy to only count words written in July. Thanks for the link to the FAQ. Put my name on the AW cabin list please. This is going to be fun!

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Argh! I have a bunch of really awesome ideas for this camp, but I don't know which one I want to change my project to. I was going to do some short stories, but that was my personal challenge for this month. I want some variety, something meatier to work on.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Lillith- taking a walk or a drive and letting my mind wander through the plot bunnies is what often helps me. You have some time to think about it.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing Camp July too. I've been working pretty hard on prep work for it. Can you go ahead and add me in for the cabins too? My user name on NaNo is exactly the same as here.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
AW cabins sound fun. I'm in. :) My NaNo username is the same as my username here.

~Amber~

I'm doing Camp July too. I've been working pretty hard on prep work for it. Can you go ahead and add me in for the cabins too? My user name on NaNo is exactly the same as here.

Added you both to the list. Lillith will be sending out invites around the weekend time (I'll add some instructions as you need certain settings set in order to receive).

If anyone isn't listed for a cabin on the first post and wanted to be, let me know plox!

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I've never really participated with other people doing nano. How do the cabins work?
They're basically a little private area (web page) where everyone in the cabin can post messages and see each others' progress. No one not in the cabin can access the page. I think the maximum number of people who can be in a cabin now is 11.

They used to be randomized so you couldn't control who you ended up in a cabin with, but they changed that this year so people can create private cabins and send invites by username, which I assume is how the AW cabin(s) will be filled.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I'm a little confused as to what setting I should be on to receive an invite. FAQ says to deselect the option that's all "I don't want invites," but it doesn't say what you should check to get invites to a private cabin. You can't deselect "no invites" without selecting something else, so I ended up checking "campers with similar word count goal." It's pretty straight forward about how to create a private cabin, but less so about how to join one. I hope I don't muck it up!

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I'm a little confused as to what setting I should be on to receive an invite. FAQ says to deselect the option that's all "I don't want invites," but it doesn't say what you should check to get invites to a private cabin. You can't deselect "no invites" without selecting something else, so I ended up checking "campers with similar word count goal." It's pretty straight forward about how to create a private cabin, but less so about how to join one. I hope I don't muck it up!

We'll get it figured out.

I think the main things are you have to 'create' your novel beforehand and make sure you've not selected 'I don't want to be in a cabin'.

Will try and check this though before Lillith sends out the invites. :)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ramshackle, I've never done that before. I think I'd like to give it a try. My username at Nano is sassandgroove, oddly enough. I'll register later today. THanks to you and Lillith for doing this.

ETA ok I registered. :)

Last edited:

Julie.G.

Registered
Reaction score
I signed up for camp but I'm probably to late to join the cabin!?

Julie.G.

Registered
Reaction score
My username is Julie G.

So you can join a cabin until the very last day?

What do I have to chose for my cabin settings because the next round of cabin assignments will happen in about 4 hours.

Last edited: