Camp JulyNoWriMo!

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I'm staying at the Opt Out status until we are ready because I'm not going to keep getting placed into cabins. If you could just post a note we are ready to start dividing up, that would be great. Thanks for this!

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I'm staying at the Opt Out status until we are ready because I'm not going to keep getting placed into cabins. If you could just post a note we are ready to start dividing up, that would be great. Thanks for this!

This is probably the best thing to do.

If you're placed in a cabin automatically, there should be a small button (usually at the bottom of the cabin page) that says something like 'opt out of this cabin'.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
ok I opted out of the cabin I was in, I hope it wasn't yours, which just occurred to me. thanks for doing this.

It wouldn't have been, don't worry. Lillith is setting this up (the thanks go to her - I just made the initial post! :)) and hasn't sent out any invites yet - it'll tell you when you receive an invite.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Yes, I just switched to "I don't want to be included in a cabin." after getting out of the cabin I was placed in. Just give me a heads up when the private invites are going out, and I'll change my setting.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Cabins Reminder!

Just a friendly reminder to all those participating in the CampNaNo AWer cabin. If I don't have your user names then I need them soon please? I'm hoping to start sending out invites on Friday or Saterday.

People Who Have Sent Names So Far
Julie G.
CoffeeBeans
bdwilson
Jassack
Sassandgroove
Chasing the Horizon
xXVampyrePrincessXx
JulianneQJohnson
tjwriter
JacobS.Tucker
Measure_in_love

Last edited:

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try to write 300 words per day on some writing project (fanfic, novel, or freelance) per day and study/do schoolwork for an hour. We'll see how it goes.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Invites!!

If people could switch their cabin setting to the appropriate one so I can start sending invites, it would be much appreciated. Expect a private cabin invite from LillithofVulcan.

List of people who I've sent invites already

bdwilson
Sassandgroove
xXVampyrePrincessXx
JulianneQJohnson
tjwriter
Jassack
Chasing the Horizon
Julie G.
JacobS.Tucker
Measure_in_love

Last edited:

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Ramshackle, I don't think so. Camp states in the FAQ that to get in a private cabin you have to deselect "no cabin" option. I had mine set on no cabin so that I wouldn't get sorted again before the invites went out, as I already backed out of one cabin auto-selected for me. I got the invite before I had a chance to switch back.

Since this is the first time for private cabins, I bet Camp just doesn't have all the kinks worked out yet.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Ramshackle, I don't think so. Camp states in the FAQ that to get in a private cabin you have to deselect "no cabin" option. I had mine set on no cabin so that I wouldn't get sorted again before the invites went out, as I already backed out of one cabin auto-selected for me. I got the invite before I had a chance to switch back.

Since this is the first time for private cabins, I bet Camp just doesn't have all the kinks worked out yet.

Oh that is weird!

I suppose bugs are bound to happen. It's pretty cool the feature is there now anyhow. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Camp states in the FAQ that to get in a private cabin you have to deselect "no cabin" option. .

It's a TINY bit different than that, though it isn't extremely clear. I'm going to try to clarify for reference:

From the cabin FAQ:

Managing your invites:
First, make sure you have a defined a novel for the upcoming event.

Make sure you have selected "I don't want to be included in a cabin" in your cabin settings.

When you are invited to a private cabin, that invitation will pop-up the next time you log in, or refresh the Camp NaNoWriMo page. "Join Now" will take you to your new cabin home; "No Thanks" will delete the invitation.

If you want to turn off private cabin invitations, you can do so under your "Cabin Settings." Select the last option, "I don't want cabin invitations this session."

There are two separate buttons: one turns off being SORTED into a cabin and the other one turns off getting INVITATIONS to private cabins. It's okay to select the option saying you don't want to be sorted into cabins; you just can't have that little square at the bottom checked that says "I don't want cabin invitations this session." You WANT to have the first one selected and you DON'T want the second one selected.

Hope this clarifies things for the confused. :) I know it took me a little while to get it.

~Amber~

Last edited:

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I'm in! Thank you very much :)

They could probably do with an update of the checkbox text for next year, but I'm glad they managed to implement the private cabins.

This is going to be fun!

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Vamp, that makes much more sense. Apparently, I never found that part of the FAQ. I was going by the following from the bit about setting up a private cabin, which states what not to select, but doesn't say what to select.

"Remember, a Camper must have created a profile, a novel, and deselected "I don't want cabin invitations this session" to be eligible."

I'm not at all surprised that I couldn't tell the difference between the two choices where one says the above, and the other says "I don't want to be included in a cabin." They both sound like "not want cabin!" to me! :D

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Just adjusted my cabin settings. I'm super excited. At the moment, I have plotted every single thing I can think of, to smooth out the road for July.

What's everyone thinking for word counts? I'm set for a half-nano (25K) since a bunch of camp runs have taught me I can't psych myself up for a full nano in a non-November month...

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Originally I had set for 60k, but decided I was insane. Now I'm set for 50k, which will be hard enough to achieve.
Camp was good timing for me. I return to full time work in early August. I'm still fairly busy caring for my parents, but when I return to work, caring for parents on top of job is going to make finding time to write very hard. Not impossible, but slow and difficult.
I had already decided to try to finish my WIP in July, then this awesome thread about Camp appeared. Lucky me!

Last edited: