amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Sorry to hear guys! But nice that you got personal rejections!

I'm still in the 200s.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like they're going through pretty quickly.

Sorry for those with rejections.

DragonShark

Registered
Reaction score
Right behind you, Aggy. I'm at 70 right now. Subbed on day one, was originally #174, I think.

Sorry for the Rs, and good luck to everyone still in the running.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
29 day R this morning. Said there was some clever writing, but he wasn't interested enough in the story. And he hopes to see more.

DragonShark

Registered
Reaction score
I'm out. Story just "didn't click" and he said that "flash fiction, like humor, is subjective."

Good luck to everyone still in the running!

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Dropping like a stone, down to 484 in queue.

If Finlay's doing it all himself (like last time?) then I take my hat off to the man.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Aww sorry to hear Dragon! :(

I'm at 188 in the queue.

Moving right along... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMR5JVo21wQ

That's where I was yesterday morning. I'm now at 145.

Dropping like a stone, down to 484 in queue.

If Finlay's doing it all himself (like last time?) then I take my hat off to the man.

I suspect he isn't reading all of every submission - with most it would be easy to see within a page if it's not for him or if it's an obvious "scan and bounce" as another editor once described it to me.

On the other hand, stories which could be contenders may be being held back for a second read, partly to see which of them don't fall apart on a second reading. Also to see which stories work best with the others he's considering accepting. If he has two very good but very similar stories he may take just one of them, which is hard luck for the author whose story is rejected, but unfortunately that's life.

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Got my rejection. First part was the same as Aggy's, second part referenced the start, so it's entirely probable he didn't read all the way through.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the rejections, everyone - but do send the stories somewhere else. Of course, if you haven't already submitted your story to Gordon Van Gelder at F & SF for a "normal" issue, you could always do that.

I'm now at 68. I could be rejected in a day or so!

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Now at number 391, so have finally dropped below the 400s. I think my rejection's going to be a few days yet.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Oh good! Are they sending out rejections?

I remember once being very hopeful about a submission only to find out you had to go back and look at a submission tracker on the site to find out you were rejected. Then I was sad.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I was at 63 this morning (UK time) and I'm now out, as of 1.15pm my time. I'd submitted my Solstice Swap story, "Beside the Sea". Rejection went as follows:

Thanks for submitting "Beside the Sea" -- I'm always happy to see stories from writers who have been in F&SF. This story just didn't grab me -- I felt that it developed too slowly -- so I'm going to pass on it. But best of luck to you placing this one elsewhere, and thanks again for giving me a chance to read it. I hope to see another story from you next time submissions are open.

Not sure if I have anything to send...better write something, I guess!

Good luck to those still in and let's hope we get an AW-er on the final contents list!

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Lame. This thread makes me wish I was logging in here more often! I had no idea this was going on. I snail-mailed my submission off about a week ago. In the past, I've gotten rejections back in as little as a week through the postal mail, but it would have been nice to save on the printing and postage.

Capability

Registered
Reaction score
I got a very useful rejection last night which confirmed what I'd figured out about the story in the five weeks since I submitted. I think the story was somewhere in the 60s when it sank, but I'm not sure.