The Bouncy Castle in Space

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
How many people have heard if they've been picked?

Gah! It is just like school! I haven't been picked by anyone.

Che, are you on Twitter? There's a lot of info there if you look for #TheWVoice. There are still some spots open.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Me again! I've updated my blog with the details (including a breakdown of the categories) if you want to check out the picks. As of now, 2 coaches each have 1 slot left to fill and 1 coach has 3 slots, plus there will be another 2 slots available once a couple of fights have been resolved. :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Me again! I've updated my blog with the details (including a breakdown of the categories) if you want to check out the picks. As of now, 2 coaches each have 1 slot left to fill and 1 coach has 3 slots, plus there will be another 2 slots available once a couple of fights have been resolved. :)

Thanks, Annette, for all your hard work. Everyone was losing their minds and asking about you on Twitter last night, lol. You've become quite popular. Your blog has also added amazing organization to the contest, something all the entrants and even the coaches appreciate. Hope to see you hosting, as well as participating in future contests.

As for me, I won't be entering any more contests. I've been featured in both Nest Pitch and now The Writer's Voice, and pitched on Twitter, so I don't want story-fatigue and people getting sick of it. There's always traditional querying!

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
You're very welcome, Daniela. :) Handily, I've been off work this week (recovering from an op just before Easter so I've been signed off work until next week) so I've had a lot of time on my hands to stalk the contest, lol. I gave updates last year as well (when I DID make it through the Rafflecopter), but those were just on Twitter. I figured it was easier to put all the details on a blog post this time (more room to write things!). :)

You might not need to enter any more contests if the right agent swoops down on your entry in the next round! :D

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I've already started traditional querying. I sent a couple off last night after I got done feeling sorry myself. Though I have totally screwed up two queries already! I will NEVER be hearing back from Adams Lit. Which I expected anyway, they are ridiculously beyond me! But I sent another one off last night with no subject line and had to send it again! The shame!!!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I just want to remind you, Che, and anyone else fretting about being picked, I did not get selected for last year's The Writer's Voice contest. The same manuscript went on to be a finalist in the Chicken House contest (which is kind of a big deal, the prize is publication with CH, which is run by the Harry Potter editor), and then I went on to get an amaaaazing agent with my next manuscript. So, keep going, whatever happens. Not getting picked for TWV does NOT mean your manuscript is not good enough. It just means it wasn't right for these judges.

But Daniela, YAY YOU - it's a great opportunity and I hope you have a terrific time!!!!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I just want to remind you, Che, and anyone else fretting about being picked, I did not get selected for last year's The Writer's Voice contest. The same manuscript went on to be a finalist in the Chicken House contest (which is kind of a big deal, the prize is publication with CH, which is run by the Harry Potter editor), and then I went on to get an amaaaazing agent with my next manuscript. So, keep going, whatever happens. Not getting picked for TWV does NOT mean your manuscript is not good enough. It just means it wasn't right for these judges.

But Daniela, YAY YOU - it's a great opportunity and I hope you have a terrific time!!!!

:) JoyMC! What a great story!! Thanks so much!

And Daniela- You may just get an agent out of this!!! Your query days will be over :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
:) JoyMC! What a great story!! Thanks so much!

And Daniela- You may just get an agent out of this!!! Your query days will be over :)

LOL. I'd have to disagree with this, but thanks for the optimism! I live with a cloud over my head, so I never get my hopes up. :D Either way, having loads of fun and working on other projects. Thanks Che. Don't worry about querying. The first couple are always terrible, trust me. You'll learn how to hone querying skills soon.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I've seen some of the same books picked for contests over and over and over again (one in particular thats always bothered me. Its been 2 years now since I first saw it and it was recently in Pitch Wars. I've see it picked for various contests at least 6 or 7 times. I have to imagine even some agents have noticed it at this point). So I agree with you Daniella, don't over do it. Contests are great, so much fun and a great opportunity but there is such a thing as over doing it. Give someone else a chance... though I don't suggest giving up twitter pitching until your done querying :) not hurting anyone by trying and there are always new people looking.
Good luck with the Voice. This one is a great contest to be in!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
On the topic of contests and what they may or may not lead to, I'm feeling pretty thrilled, because my Pitchwars mentee, who did not get any requests during the contest, just signed with Stephen Barbara, who's a seriously amazing agent. Obviously she was really disappointed when she didn't get requests during the contest - I wasn't all that surprised, as it was a quiet MG verse novel. But things worked out and she has an amazing agent now.

And for whatever reason, MG manuscripts just don't get as many requests during these sorts of contests. Good thing to be aware of, but take everything you learn and funnel it into your traditional querying, too.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen some of the same books picked for contests over and over and over again (one in particular thats always bothered me. Its been 2 years now since I first saw it and it was recently in Pitch Wars. I've see it picked for various contests at least 6 or 7 times. I have to imagine even some agents have noticed it at this point). So I agree with you Daniella, don't over do it. Contests are great, so much fun and a great opportunity but there is such a thing as over doing it. Give someone else a chance... though I don't suggest giving up twitter pitching until your done querying :) not hurting anyone by trying and there are always new people looking.
Good luck with the Voice. This one is a great contest to be in!

Totally agree. I wanted to get a taste of it. So fun. But I don't want to overdue it. As I mentioned, this is a great opportunity to have the query and first chapter polished, so I'm totally going to take that with me when querying.

On the topic of contests and what they may or may not lead to, I'm feeling pretty thrilled, because my Pitchwars mentee, who did not get any requests during the contest, just signed with Stephen Barbara, who's a seriously amazing agent. Obviously she was really disappointed when she didn't get requests during the contest - I wasn't all that surprised, as it was a quiet MG verse novel. But things worked out and she has an amazing agent now.

And for whatever reason, MG manuscripts just don't get as many requests during these sorts of contests. Good thing to be aware of, but take everything you learn and funnel it into your traditional querying, too.

Stephen Barbara? Doesn't he rep Schlitz? Squee! How exciting for her!

And I agree, MG sort of gets glazed over. It's always adult-heavy, and YA always dominates. In fact there are only 7 MG entries out of 32. That's a mere 22%. Yikes. I wonder why this is.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
So, I had to drop out of The Writer's Voice.... but remember that exciting news I couldn't talk about? Well, it happened. I am now represented by Leon Husock and Kathleen Anderson of Anderson Literary Management. :D

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
So, I had to drop out of The Writer's Voice.... but remember that exciting news I couldn't talk about? Well, it happened. I am now represented by Leon Husock and Kathleen Anderson of Anderson Literary Management. :D

SO FANTASTIC!!! I am so thrilled for you! Congratulations!!

:partyguy:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Tomorrow I start revisions. :e2writer: Then, submissions. :e2paperba

If it sells, it sells. If it doesn't, c'est la vie.

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score

Congrats Daniela! That's the best reason to have to drop out :) It's so exciting!!!!

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, Dani! That's so exciting! Congratulations! So, so happy for you, girl!