Writing Apps for Android?

la-gamine

Child at Heart.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a tablet (and also android phone) and was looking for something along the lines of Scrivener. First I thought Evernote would do but there's no way to backup locally, I'd like to be able to back up my files without paying extra. Same thing goes for OneNote there's no way of saving files off of the Microsoft Skydrive.

What do you guys use? Any suggestions?

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
When I read the title of this, I thought you were going to write apps for Android. :tongue

WPS Office, by Kingsoft, is similar to MS Word and works on Android. You can also try Olive Office.

For something more like Scrivener, look into Judoom or Celtx. yWriter is a good option (4.5 stars from cnet editors).

Some of these options sync on their own; for the rest, try SyncMe Wireless (no dropbox) or DropSync (with dropbox). I believe all of these options save locally, but do check to verify first.

Disclaimer: I have used WPS Office but not the other programs. I just did some digging online for what other people were suggesting.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
You're really trying to write on an Android? Seriously?

If you are, I'd suggest looking for voice-to-text software. Trying to type a piece of writing into something the size of a playing card just strikes me as absurd.

caw

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
You're really trying to write on an Android? Seriously?

If you are, I'd suggest looking for voice-to-text software. Trying to type a piece of writing into something the size of a playing card just strikes me as absurd.

caw
I suppose I had assumed it was the tablet running Android which would be used for writing. And that a keyboard was in use, though I suppose some folks can type pretty fast on a tablet even without a keyboard.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
If you sign up for Microsoft's Office365 service, they now include online versions of the apps as part of that service. $99/year, or $9.99/month.

That adds up over time, obviously, but it's an option nonetheless.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I know you say you don't want to use evernote because it won't save locally, but have you ever tried to use evernote on your tablet while offline? IME while evernote says that you don't get stuff saved locally on mobile devices without paying, I can still read/edit things that are cached (all notes I've viewed recently). Granted this is on an iphone and not android, but it's worth a try.

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
I like a plain old text editor called turboedit.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I use my Nexus 7 for writing fairly often. I use a USB keyboard (with an OTG adapter) because I find the cheap BT keyboard to be laggy when I write directly with the keyboard. When on the tablet, I use QuickOffice as it's better at reading formatting (such as right-aligned tab stops, which Google Docs doesn't handle so well) Otherwise, I'll use the USB cable to read the file off of the tablet and work on whatever PC I have in front of me.

Between Dropbox and Google Drive, there's a host of free-to-use cloud storage options. Google Drive can get buggy for me because the Docs app constantly tries to sync one spreadsheet I have set for offline editing and complains that it couldn't do it. I used Google Docs for a while but it introduces a slight lag in typing that's not present in QuickOffice (which can also read files off of Drive, but it can't do the same offline sync mode that Docs can). Where both of these apps fail is trying to get a word count out of them. The best I've been able to manage is to copy the entire WIP (or keep it tallied by sections in a separate spreadsheet) and use a web counter.

I also like to use FreeMind whenever I'm brainstorming.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The best options for me are

I prefer to use doc.google.com on my android phone as well as on my computer. It is not required to download any software and you don't have to save your data because it automatically saves everything. Moreover, you can get all the "MS Office" like services such as MS Word, Excell, PowerPoint etc.
Somehow there are a number of Android apps that you can search on Google PlayStore. I would suggest you to use "Google drive" or "Dropbox" for cloud services.