Seeking alternative to RealPlayer

GD'Bohun

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good vid player for flv files and downloading vids from youtube? I just bought a new computer and installed realplayer, but then decided to take it off. For one, some non-malicious malware was downloaded along with it--not appreciated--secondly, I'm sick of being constantly prompted to upload my videos to "the cloud". Truthfully, I'm not even sure what the cloud is and I really don't care. I'm not interested in sharing my downloaded videos or backing them up in yet another place. I back up all of my stuff on idrive and flash drives. System I'm running is Windows 7-64. Any suggestions appreciated...

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't download videos from youtube unless the content creator has given you a permission to do so. You're stealing content from people and every time you view one offline that content creator doesn't get any ad revenue from your viewing. It's also illegal--stated in Google's usage rights that you probably signed if you have a Google account.

Use CCCP or VLC to view videos.

GD'Bohun

Registered
Reaction score
Giving the VLC a shot, it downloaded sans malicious goop so I'll see how it works. Thanks.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
VLC is great
XBMC is a fantastic program for playing and organizing your videos. You can even get it to automatically download cover art and summaries for each file, but that's better for your permanent/commercial video collection.

Last edited: