Issues with a Client

The Package

Cool. I get to write my own? How ab
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone.

I've been doing some work on elance, and have really been enjoying it (and making some decent money as well!). So, first off, I just want to say thanks because I learned about the site from this subforum.

But unfortunately, I've come to ask your advice on how to proceed with a client.

At the beginning of the month I was awarded a job, and was then asked to provide an estimate. I did so, but then for five days I never heard back from the client. Worried that I'd scared him off with my estimate, I contacted him with a friendly, "Just checking in... etc."

A day later he responded with a plain: "I can only pay you $X.xx for the job. How much can you do for that much?"

I figured what the heck, I can do it for that (which ended up being 2/3 of the original amount). So I told him it's all good, but I'd need more time as a compromise since I'd be looking for other work to fill the money I'd given up. We came to an agreement, and so I told him to set up the milestones, and fund the escrow, but he didn't.

A few days go by, so I asked him if everything was in shape. He said yes, and then set up the milestone incorrectly. I corrected him, and made the milestones myself. He said they looked good to him, but then he said "I really need you to start ASAP. How soon can you start!?" (We exchanged three or four messages within five minutes, aaaaand then he vanished. No more messages, no acceptance of the milestones that I'd set up. No funding of the escrow. He seemingly just walked away from his computer.

Obviously, I was a little annoyed because I'd been waiting on him since the beginning of the project, and now he's rushing me as if I'm the one who's delaying the thing. I told him "As soon as you fund the escrow, and accept the milestones, I will start. I will start the minute those two things are met."

TWO DAY's go by, and then he sends me a message that reads simply: "I funded the escrow."

He hadn't funded the escrow. I checked his profile, and he's paid for services on elance before so I feel like he didn't just do it wrong suddenly. I have the feeling he's trying to pull something, but maybe I'm just paranoid...

My gut is telling me to cut my losses here, and walk away. Chances are he's going to cause me more stress and try to leech me of free work, but I'm worried that he'll give me a bad review if I just cancel the job right now (which would be a killer since I've only done two other jobs on elance). So, that's why I'm here. I don't know how to get out of the job since I've already been accepted as the freelancer.

Advice? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
In my years of freelance art, I never had a client who was a problem at the outset turn out to be a breeze to work with.

I'd bail.

The Package

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, RedWombat.

I've been Googling my butt off, and apparently the client won't be given the opportunity to give me negative feedback if no monies were exchanged. Not sure if it's true through...

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
RUN from this client. Even if he ever does fund the escrow, he's going to be a nightmare to deal with -- you're FAR better off looking for another client (and one that will accept your rate).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think you've already sunk enough time in this and he seemed a bit comprehension impaired if not dishonest. Might also be worth sending elance a summary of the timeline.

The Package

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Advice received and accepted.