Rejectomancy

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Neil said he'd begin reading once there were a decent number of stories in the queue. Guess that was today :)

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Neil said he'd begin reading once there were a decent number of stories in the queue. Guess that was today :)

Oh, goody. Something to look forward to in the next couple of days ;) On the plus side, the earlier the R, the greater the chance of submitting something else before deadline.

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the recent rejections, everyone, especially those who were close.
Batspan, I also got my Apex rejection yesterday, at 85 days. It was nice and personal and had the 'please send me more' line. I had really high hopes for this one. I wonder when they will reopen!
Alex, congradolences on the higher tier from Clarkesworld. My Upgraded submission moved yesterday from its initial #28 to #13 in the queue. Should be any minute now! :p

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap it's quiet at the moment... Got my 22 Black St@tic rejection a few days ago but other than that it seems like the more I sub the quieter it gets. Suppose I could get around to finishing that rewrite request... Still! Come on 2013, get on with it!

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Sorry for the Rs everyone. I see I'm in good company.

Thanks, Eliza, Aislinn and Pyragelos. Yes, I'll give Apex another go. That was an encouraging response for my first shot.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations everyone! I have a half-written cyborg story that I'd love to finish and submit to 'Upgraded' but life has interfered and there's no way I'll get it done in time. Grrr.

dachshund

Small Barking Dog
Registered
Reaction score
28 days, 4 poems, form email from Idaho Review.

25-or so personal from Waylines. Nice, but they didn't get it. I suspect that happens a lot with my material.

That must be about 300 rejects since my last sale now. You'd think this weird 'thing' that I'm doing would click with somebody somewhere.

It's hard to explain the kind of stuff I do, and I don't like to get into too much detail on forums, but I know what I'm doing, and I know I'm good at it. It's just hard to find anyone that 'sees' what I'm getting at. I suppose every middling writer says the same thing though.

Last edited:

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
15-day form R from DSF.

Fihr -- I feel for you on the unfinished cyborg story. Pesky life.
Sai -- I'm still courting Shimmer, too.
Dachsund -- Sounds rough. Good you believe in yourself and are seeing some personal Rs.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
9 day (vague) personal R from Shimmer. Said it wasn't "shimmery enough" which is probably fair.

Aggy, knew that soft-cyber punk would be a hard sell

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score
I've been offline for a couple of days, so: 18-ish days from DSF (I haven't had any success with them yet :( ) and 3 (?) days from Interzone.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for all the recent R's. It's eerily quiet where I am, not just on my subs but with all the markets I'm waiting on. I guess there'll be a few flurries at some point.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got a 6-day "much to admire here, unfortunately not a good fit" rejection from Interzone. That'll be my last email sub as they switched to Submittable.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
85-day personal R from Apex. So far it's wracked up two nice higher tier R's, including Nightmare. Still hope for this one.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
20 day R from Spellbound for my first children's story, with some helpful feedback and an invitation to try them again. I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I wrote this one, in terms of writing for kids, but I did enjoy writing it. Unfortunately, it's over the word limit for most kids' markets. (Another aspect of writing for kids.)

(Good luck with that close call, Marzioli... sounds frustrating but hopeful.)

Last edited:

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
14 day form R from Daily Science Fiction. The first submission I sent them made it to their second round a year and a half ago. None of my stories have since then...a little depressing.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
First rejection from Interzone! woop woop!! :D

Form, but nice form, at least.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Condolences on the Rs folks.

Melinda: I sold the first story I ever sent to DSF, but haven't sold them anything else since (and only two second round bumps out of a dozen stories).

I'm still waiting on my first Interzone R. ;)

ETA: There is it. 2 day form. Does say please send something new soon which is always nice.

Last edited:

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
I got a 63 day personal R from 3rd Flatiron's Mars antho. A bit disappointed as I submitted early and it was held for ages (until after submissions closed) and now the editor has given a criticism on the ending which makes it clear it didn't work for her - of course it's fine she didn't like it but I'm still getting used to these long wait times. Yes, I know editors have lives too, just needed a whinge!

Anyway, I'm sure it will work out for the best - I've just joined Critters & put this story into the queue. If anyone else from here is on the site, I'd love to hear your views.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Condolences on the Rs folks.

Melinda: I sold the first story I ever sent to DSF, but haven't sold them anything else since (and only two second round bumps out of a dozen stories).

It's not supposed to work that way!

I shouldn't complain about the first time bump as it happened at a time I could really use the confidence boost. But aggravating now :)