What sort of poetry do you read?

Matty lll

Registered
Reaction score
And who are your favourite poets?

I am wondering what sort of diversity we have, I have no doubt most of you are much more well versed (hehe) in poetry than I am.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

LOL, hey, that was going to be my answer!

I tend to be a fairly passive consumer of poetry, at least off AW -- it has to kind of wander in front of my eyes, versus me actively seeking it out -- but that's less a statement on how much I enjoy poetry so much as just how darned little time I have.

Matty lll

Registered
Reaction score
I don't read that much poetry. I enjoy some of the romantics, like Byron, Shelley and particularly Blake. However I love the poetry of Rimbaud, as well Baudelaire and some other 'symbolists', I have read some Surrealist stuff that I liked but I couldn't tell you the author or title, I quite enjoy modernist poetry too, mostly Eliot and post-modernist 'beat' poetry, mainly Ginsberg. I quite like free verse, or just poems that don't have a rigid rhyme scheme.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I read whichever piece has the fewest comments on the front page of the poetry critiques each week. If I can't think of anything to say about it, I read the one with the next fewest.

I also read whatever crosses my path.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I like many modern poets, and some that are dead including Terribly Sexy Eliot and Raymond Carver.I like too many live poets to mention, but some are Yusef Komunyakaa, Li Young Lee, Thomas Lux, Ed Ramond, Betty Lies, And various poems by other live and dead poets (Roethke, etc.)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
There is some poetry that I read but it's not my preference to do so. I'd rather listen.

That being said, I do enjoy reading verse.

silentpoet

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I find it uncomfortable to read others' poetry. Sometimes I read song lyrics, but only if I am curious about a song. And maybe if a poem is in a book I will read it. But I find reading poetry awkward.