What are you reading?

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading one that I ended up talking about with my teens - Eizabeth Scott's Heartbeat. It's a about a teen whose mother remarries, becomes pregnant, and has a stroke and dies, but the stepfather decides to keep her body alive on machines until the baby is old enough to safely be born.

I can see both viewpoints on this one and that's making it a pretty emotional read.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 50 pages from the end of The Wasteland of the Dark Towers Series by King. I can't wait to move onto Wizard and Glass. So far, all these books have been cutting into my sleep hours. :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Snow, a relatively recent literary novel with a political slant, by Turkish Nobel Prize winner Orhan Pamuk.

and

Warrant for X, a 1930s mystery by British writer Philip Macdonald, grandson of famed Fantasy pioneer George Macdonald. Philip produced several very fine mystery novels, inclluding The Polferry Riddle and The List of Adrian Messenger, the latter made into an excellent movie back around 1950. Worth seeing, if you can find it.

caw

Peggles

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Serena by Ron Rash, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. I was fortunate enough to see him give a lecture at a nearby college. He was great!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
In the interest of procrastination...

Just Finished:
The Dark World, by Henry Kuttner (Nook) - A WWII vet, haunted by nightmares, discovers he is not who he thought he was when he is pulled into the Dark World, a parallel Earth. Instead of being Edward Bond, he may be the evil Lord Ganelon... and his return may doom the rebellion Edward started against the Coven that rules with iron and sorcery.
An older fantasy adventure tale, originally written in the 1940s, it was a fun little read for what it was, with interesting imagery, pulp-style action, a little science thrown in behind the magic. Parts felt a little dated, true, but it wasn't that bad, especially as a public domain freebie download.

Currently Reading:
Island in the Sea of Time, by S. M. Stirling (Paperback) - Yep, still picking my way through this time-displacement story. I generally like what I'm reading, but it's difficult to invest in for long stretches for some reason; I find myself reading a chapter, or part of a chapter, then getting restless. I just can't seem to engage with a greater story arc beyond the immediate issues the Nantucket Islanders are facing, surviving in the prehistoric past. Still, I'm not discouraged enough to give up.

The Wretched of Muirwood, by Jeff Wheeler (Kindle) - An orphaned girl in a world where family lineage is of ultimate importance, granting one access to the magic of the Medium. So far, I like it. Wheeler has an interesting magic system, and thus far an interesting world to go with it. The heroine's not quite an angel, either - not actively evil, but she's not above the odd petty theft as retaliation for poor treatment.

(I'm between books on my Nook right now; I have a couple I'm poking at, but none I've committed to finishing yet.)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Started Middlesex two days ago. So far, I like it a lot. Different. I'd heard a lot about it and wanted to give it a go.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares, Joyce Carol Oates. Amazing.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished an excellent crime novel, STRAIGHT JACKET by Adrian Deans. It's set in Sydney and has a memorable and very disturbing main character.

Highly recommended.

Natira

Registered
Reaction score
What I'm Reading

I'm actually reading The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien and am completely enamored with it. :D

gdossetto

Registered
Reaction score
"Gun Machine" by Warren Ellis. Take out the campy comic book ultraviolence and it is pretty decent. I like it.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently making my way through "Rivers of London" by Ben Aaronovitch. It's really quite good.

That series is amazing.

Right now I'm about half way through "The Mask Game" by Sergey Gerasimov and it's really creepy. It reminds me of nightvale.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Serena by Ron Rash, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. I was fortunate enough to see him give a lecture at a nearby college. He was great!

One of my favorite books.

I'm just starting Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. It's short so I am savoring.

dontpanic

and carry a towel
Registered
Reaction score
Currently have my head in a few books. At the moment I'm engrossed in George R R Martin's 'A Storm of Swords' (third book in A Song of Ice and Fire) - I can forgive his mediocre writing style for his wonderful characters, plot and world-building.
I'm also reading Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' for a class and loving it - I began it a few years ago but my mind wandered, whilst now I can't put it down!
Finally, I'm taking a stab at T H White's 'The Once and Future King'. It's lengthy but light and I'm keen to expand my Arthurian knowledge. :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just getting in to Neil Gaiman's Stardust.

Also reading Frederick Palmer's My Second Year of the War as research for my WIP.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally, I'm taking a stab at T H White's 'The Once and Future King'. It's lengthy but light and I'm keen to expand my Arthurian knowledge. :)

I read that back in high school and loved it! I've had a love of England since watching the James Herriot All Creatures Great and Small and the Agatha Christie mysteries in my pre-teen years, and Once and Future King just helped to cement it. I'm actively looking for a job in the UK, and OFK is the first book I will read when I get there.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

One of my favorites.

Started Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Djinni yesterday. So far, so good.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading American Pastoral by Philip Roth. It's pretty much exactly what you would expect from a novel by Philip Roth (which is in many ways a good thing).