What are you reading?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
One classic: The Revolt of the Angels, by Anatole France. France is regrettably neglected today, but he produced wonderful, delicately dry, elegantly expressed acidic satires, and is a worthy descendent of Voltaire and Victor Hugo among French writers.

One modern popular thing: Men at Arms, by Terry Pratchett. In many ways a worthy descendant of Kurt Vonnegut and Philip K. Dick.

And a popular true crime book: Green River, Running Red, by the queen of True Crime, Anne Rule. An account of the infamous Green River Killer, Gary Ridgway, that concentrates not only on the long, involved and frustrating hunt for him, but in great detail on his victims, which elevates it far above most True Crime books I've seen. Anne Rule is a very fine writer, regardless of whether or not you like her chosen genre. Her first major book, which got her started on this path, The Stranger Beside Me, is just about a classic now. She was a co-worker with the Seattle area's rival to Ridgway, Ted Bundy, and wrote from a personal viewpoint no one else could possibly have done. Many of the same investigators who worked on the Bundy crimes also worked on the Green River cases, and she had close working relationships with them, which makes the Green River book especially effective.

I'm an eclectic reader, and generally am engaged in two or three books at a time.

caw

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
One classic: The Revolt of the Angels, by Anatole France. France is regrettably neglected today, but he produced wonderful, delicately dry, elegantly expressed acidic satires, and is a worthy descendent of Voltaire and Victor Hugo among French writers.

Upvote for M. France! I haven't read this one yet so thanks for the nudge. Thais and The Gods Are Thirsty are both excellent as well. The latter especially, with its setting during the Reign of Terror.

Currently I'm dipping into All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot one chapter at a time. This well known book is the memoirs of an English country veternarian.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
A Peace To End All Peace "The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East" -- David Fromkin.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Currently I'm dipping into All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot one chapter at a time. This well known book is the memoirs of an English country veternarian.

If you like this book, and if you haven't already discovered it, I think you'll like Gerry Durrell's My Family and Other Animals. The naturalist (and brother of author Lawrence Durrell) writes a hilarious account of growing up on the island of Corfu.

DocMac

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Murder List by Julie Garwood for the eighth time or so.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I'm reading Story Trumps Structure by Steven James. Being a 'pantster' myself I was curious to see if he had a handle on organic writing. Does he ever. I thoroughly recommend it. One of my favorite bits is this -

As Robert Frost wrote, "I have never started a poem yet whose end I knew. Writing a poem is discovering."
It's the same for storytelling as it is for poetry. So start with what you have, and follow it. See where it leads.
Writing effective fiction requires being aware of the interplay of the unfolding narrative and your evolving ideas as you watch and respond to how everything merges and reforms itself into the final product. It's a dance, and we're just here to help introduce the two partners - character and unmet desire - and then listen to the music and watch them take it from there within the constraints of our art form.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
In the Midnight Rain by Barbara Samuel. There's a lovely sense of setting in this one.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Last week it was HeartSick by Chelsea Cain. Quite good and suspenseful.

This week, Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. Light comedy romance.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing at the moment. Recently finished Lev Grossman's The Magicians series and Michael Scott's Nicholas Flammel books -- tough acts to follow. Any suggestions?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Also currently reading Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett, on my Nook on my work lunch breaks. Oh so good.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I must be the only person alive who hasn't read Terry Pratchett yet. Something to look forward to. :)

Reading an "ms* written by a buddy of mine. Simultaneously reading The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. Enjoying both a lot so far.

*ETA: I just realized, folks might read that as, "an manuscript".

*deep blush*

But in my head I'm saying "an emm-ess", so that's why. . .

Never mind.

Last edited:

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
Atonement. Half way through it and it's the best book I've ever read when I need to soon fall asleep

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The Great book of Amber by Roger Zelazny. I need a forklift to read the thing, but it's nice to have something that long that I can just dive into without thinking. I just started grad school so I need something fun and lasting.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Started the first volume (Folio Society edition) of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Also, because I am hooked on the series, the most recent in the Wine Country mystery series, by Ellen Crosby, The Viognier Vendetta. I've read all of them, in order, pretty much one right after the other. Crosby builds layered stories that make excellent use of setting, with quirky but believable characters. The vineyard/winery backdrop is an attraction to this wine fan, who has visited some Virginia wineries (including one Crosby cites in an acknowledgment, Barrel Oak). The quality and number of acknowledgments show that she does her research. Makes a difference.

BTW, I met Ms. Crosby about two years ago, as she signed books at a small store in Occoquan. Took a while to get around to reading The Merlot Murders, which I bought then, but that one hooked me.

--Ken

Last edited:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I just picked up No Time to Die by Kira Peikoff.
On the back I read, "Fans of Michael Crichton will love this heart-pounding thriller."
I was doubtful, to say the least. I'd heard that claim before, gotten my hopes up and then had them dashed. But it might actually be different this time. I read the prologue - absolutely Crichtonesque, if there is such a thing. I'm only into chapter 2 but I'm getting excited. Her style is just like his and the writing is just as smart. Will report back once I've finished reading.