The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Keep in mind 1982 was a loooong time ago, and I think also before GVG took over F&SF. I subscribed for several years fairly recently and I can't recall seeing any humor pieces at all, although maybe they just haven't found the right one yet (-:
Yeah, that's true. Maybe that's why they're asking for humor pieces, because they never have any to publish. But yeah, it's worth a try and see if they're still into absurdest humor, which seems to be received well by other magazines and television. (South Park being mostly absurdest social commentary :tongue)

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Bicyclefish, it has been declared a dead market by Duotrope.
The site just went down and never came back up and the editors never responded to inquiries.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
So does anyone know about Borderlands Press? They're calling for submissions for their sixth anthology, but when looking at their books, I found them to be terribly overpriced, and it seems they only print a limited number of copies (I guess to justify the prices they charge). So I'm wondering if they're reputable or not.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So does anyone know about Borderlands Press? They're calling for submissions for their sixth anthology, but when looking at their books, I found them to be terribly overpriced, and it seems they only print a limited number of copies (I guess to justify the prices they charge). So I'm wondering if they're reputable or not.

I;ve never worked with this outfit, but they *look* legit to me. Since they are publishing by e-Book, the very small print run for the physical copy would explain its high price.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I;ve never worked with this outfit, but they *look* legit to me. Since they are publishing by e-Book, the very small print run for the physical copy would explain its high price.
Wait - where did you see that they sell eBooks? All I see is that they sell printed stuff. : /

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's on the submissions page for the anthology.

Where it says editions, and then later when it talks about payments.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
It's on the submissions page for the anthology.

Where it says editions, and then later when it talks about payments.
Ooooh... D'oh! I was looking at their other books and trying to see if those had eBook versions. Tho, it sounds like the limited edition and eBook are not one in the same - or at least that's my impression. I mean who's signing them? It certainly can't be all the contributors.

ETA: Okay found their last anthology on Amazon. And wow, eight years! I'm kinda wondering what happened, haha. Tho I see this will be their first antho in eBook form, which is cool and much more affordable.

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't find ebooks anywhere else on their site.

Mostly just very expensive limited editions. For collectors, I suppose.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard very good things about Borderlands, and about this series in particular. And yeah, the hardbacks are for insane collectors, the totally nuts kind that spends three figure sums on single volumes and the like. *looks at shelf* Oh, wait. Crap. I'm one of them.

Ahem, anyway. Seems like a good venue if you've got something that fits. I sent them a story just a few days back.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At 5c/word PLUS royalties for the eBook their pay rates are very competitive, at the very least.

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen the anthologies, but I've got copies of all three of the Harlan Ellison limited editions they've done over the years, and they're quality products. I think it's safe to say that this is a legit publisher, albeit one catering to a very small and specialized readership.

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
I've mentioned that Musa Publishing accepted one of my short stories to be sold as an eBook. So far, their Urania (speculative fiction) senior editor has been in touch a couple times, letting me know when two rounds of edits will be scheduled (October and December) and when the eBook should be available (January). They're going to schedule a meeting via Skype to go over potential cover art, and I'll let you know how things progress from here...

It's definitely a new experience for me, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it stretches me as a writer.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DailySF SFWA qualified?

A friend of mine who is an associate member of the SFWA just let me know that there was a vote on 9/22 and that the SFWA board voted to accept dailysciencefiction.com as a qualifying market. However, I saw nothing about this from Jonathan and Michele on their web site, Twitter or Facebook.

Has anyone else heard about this? Can those of you with access to the SFWA forums confirm?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else heard about this? Can those of you with access to the SFWA forums confirm?

According to the business forum, this passed on 9/22. It probably just hasn't made the qualifying markets listing yet.

There wasn't any info in the motion as to when that becomes applicable, ie., if it's only stuff sold to DSF after the vote, or if there's an effective date or what, and I haven't been a member of SFWA long enough to know how they usually handle things.

HTH

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's retroactive, but I could be wrong. Definitely worth looking into. My story is scheduled to go up in October, so I hope this will qualify me for Associate membership.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
I think it's retroactive, but I could be wrong. Definitely worth looking into. My story is scheduled to go up in October, so I hope this will qualify me for Associate membership.

It is retroactive. Go, you!

Also, yes, I can confirm that it was resolved. The other new qualifying market is Paizo Publishing.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, Deirdre!

And I'm happy for the folks over at Paizo also. Lisa Stevens is good people :)

sammyjwebb

Registered
Reaction score
land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
I know several of us were working on LRRH stories for Enchanted Conversations. If we make it we'll be in the last edition ever. Woke up this morning to email that they will be closing after this upcoming issue.

Here's the link to their post. Glad they did this before we all started on the next theme.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, that is not what I wanted to see today. :( One more reason to (try not to) stress about the LRRH sub.