color coding flashbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKpinkerton

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking that having the flashbacks in the comics I draw only use a certain color palette might be nice, but I'm not super sure how to go about it. The first thing that comes to mind is having them in sepia but I don't know if thats what I want to go with. Has anyone seen this done well or done this themselves? Any advice would be greatly apreciated!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sure, using sepia or B/W is pretty standard, I think. Yes I've seen it, yes I've used it. Alternatives are to use a different kind of frame border, rounded corners for example, or distorted edge, and/or a caption box with the date and maybe the location, e.g. "5 YEARS AGO."

-Derek

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing I've seen is a different colored background (e.g. panels imposed on a black background instead of the usual white one).

I've occasionally used faded panel borders instead of crisp ones on some of mine.

I also like the idea of a limited color palette; I did one of my flashbacks in shades of blue, figuring it would be more interesting than sepia (not that sepia doesn't work beautifully; the webcomic Lackadaisy is all in sepia for a nice old-timey effect!). Another thing I've done in flashbacks is to use a regular grid (e.g. 6 equal-sized panels on the page) where I normally have no regular grid pattern; the above-linked flashback is also an example of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.