Looking for an illustrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangydawg

Registered
Reaction score
The problem: I want to illustrate ebooks and I can't even draw stick figures without screwing them all up.

I have been wracking my brain to figure out how to find an artist who can illustrate short stories in ebook format for Kindle devices. Looking for pencil drawings, mostly. My first thought was to contact local tattoo artists. I figured they sketch the tattoos for customers every day. Many in my area graduated art school and pursue other outlets for their art.

Then, I happened across this section. Comic Book artists could illustrate an ebook, couldn't they? How would I even find an aspiring comic book artist in my area? (I'm in South Jersey). Is there someplace you all hang out, a comic book artist forum or something? Maybe that deviantart site? How would I find an artist in my area?

What would you do in my predicament?

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Treat it like any work for hire situation. A lot of artists run into people who want free illustrations, or to do illustrations on spec with no guarantee of pay. You wouldn't expect someone to mow your lawn for free, so don't expect people to spend hours drawing cool pictures for nothing either.

It might seem like common sense, but you would not believe how often it happens.

Deviantart is one place. I'd head over to conceptart.org and look there. You can find everything from big name industry professionals, to established graphic novel artists, concept artists for movies and video games, students, and talented folks working on honing their skill from home. They have a sub forum for folks to post art jobs in.

Last edited:

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
*pulls out The List*

On this board I recommend the following threads:

Though you didn't ask about it, should you want advice on writing comic scripts, I suggest: New to comics - suggest me some resources?

My first thought was to contact local tattoo artists. I figured they sketch the tattoos for customers every day. Many in my area graduated art school and pursue other outlets for their art.
Just because someone can do tattoos does not mean they can handle sequential art. Similiarly, a person who does beautiful pinups may stink at comics, and vice versa. Make sure they can or have done sequential work.

Overall: Be patient, respectful & avoid freelancer pet peeves.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You make it really clear what art you need and how they will be compensated. Then you go to job boards like Comicwerks, conceptart, epilogue and/or deviant art.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Be prepared to pay up front. Royalties are nice and all, but they usually never materialize. Also, if you chant "For Exposure!" in the mirror six times, Bloody Mary appears and hits you upside the head with a copy of Artist's & Graphic Designer's Market.

voyager12

Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be a suggestion to start a sort of matching place where writers and illustrators can hook up, instead of going through each individual request? I mean, that is what internet and having fora are all about...

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be a suggestion to start a sort of matching place where writers and illustrators can hook up, instead of going through each individual request? I mean, that is what internet and having fora are all about...

The thread is really old, it should not have been responded to, and the problem the OP had probably has long since resolved. Plz read rules b4. Kaythanksbai

Status
Not open for further replies.