Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'll be there! We should plan an AW get-together. The one in New Orleans was a ton of fun! :)

Networking, yes, reaching readers, no.

:Huh: really? Man, I've found it's awesome for reaching readers. The only thing is that people grab me in the hall to sign books and I wind up with nobody coming to see me at the signing. :ROFL:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I went when it was local (Chicago). IMO one must plan on barely-organized chaos, and pack a lunch (or several). The local TV station's crew showed up, took the cameras straight to the seminude male models, and put that on the evening news. Thanks a lot for considering romance writers and readers as remotely serious...

It wasn't a positive experience, maybe 20-80. And very expensive, even without the hotel cost. I doubt I'll ever go again.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The hotel is the highest cost that I've found. I tend to plan on having a roommate. This year it'll be my good friend, mystery writer Carole Nelson Douglas. How did she get to be my good friend? By my holding my breath and agreeing to sign up for being roommates with a total stranger. :)

Some people even have 3 or even 4 roommates with two double beds. I probably couldn't go that far. Too many people to share a bathroom with. But Carole absolutely brings food, and usually brings a cooler to pack with ice that she can then visit a grocery store and fill. In-room picnics can be fun.

There are also morning parties where breakfast or at least food is served that's free. You'll have to stand in lines, though. And while I was in New Orleans, I found an Arby's next door where I ate a lot of my meals. In another city, it was a Denny's next door and an IHOP at another. They always have some cheap meals.

If you're pubbed, the publisher often takes all of their authors out one night for a big dinner. And if you're agented, your agent will usually take you out once too (if they attend).

But I tend to save up and enjoy myself. Meals are times to catch up with friends I haven't seen since the last RT. But I do wind up pretty tired. There's a ton of walking and often up and down stairs because the elevators slow to a crawl.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Yeah, I've had a much greater return on readers at other cons. The book fair is huge, like so big people have trouble finding authors in it, or get caught up in log jams. But, for a new author, super helpful. Go to all the craft classes you can. Most of the people speaking know their shit inside and out...while some others take with a grain of salt. ;)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Exciting news for SPers who are on Smashwords! I just got the following email from the RT convention staff:

FREE! Get Your Book On the Smashwords Thumb-Drive Super Giveaway
Smashwords will be giving away 1,800 high-quality, high-capacity thumb drives with hundreds of titles on it to FULL CONVENTION attendees and they would like to fill it with titles from authors who will be attending the RT Convention. To participate you (or your publisher) must have your books listed on Smashwords which allows the author to include up to three e-book file types (mobi, epub and pdf) so that readers can enjoy the book on various devices. This Smashwords giveaway was a huge hit at the last RT convention and we know fans are looking forward to receiving this gift from Smashwords again. They have created a special "sign up" page with instructions for how authors can participate. Just follow the link to sign up.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last year, I sent my partner an email saying I was bringing home over 300 books. His response was he didn't mind but I was paying for shipping and all those bookshelves.

THEN I told him about the flash drive.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to remember is the online agenda isn't set in stone just yet. It gives you a good idea on what's available so you can plan accordingly but it's also there for planners to get an idea of how many people are interested in attending each panel and which ballroom space they'll need to set up.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Just 30 days left to go! Is everyone pumped up?

I spent the whole weekend working on getting items I'm contributing to parties ready to ship. This is the first year RT is using a contractor to stuff bags for events, instead of volunteers. So they have to have everything a month in advance. It definitely changed what I was putting in the totes! I normally put chocolate in my pack as a goody, but don't dare because I don't know if the warehouse where everything will be is temperature controlled! It would really suck to find out that my bookmark and flyer is ruined by chocolate--during the event!

Instead, I decided to put a packet of wildflower seeds with a sticker on it, which I think people will like, whether male or female.

I did discover (to my chagrin!) that I forgot to sign up for Promo Alley. :eek: :eek: Now I need to find out if some kind author who DID sign up would be willing to share their space. If not, then I'll be handing stuff out in the hallways like I did last year (which should have taught me that particular lesson, wouldn't you think?! :ROFL: )

How about the rest of you attending? Are you gearing up?

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just 30 days left to go! Is everyone pumped up?
:e2woo:
I did discover (to my chagrin!) that I forgot to sign up for Promo Alley. :eek: :eek: Now I need to find out if some kind author who DID sign up would be willing to share their space. If not, then I'll be handing stuff out in the hallways like I did last year (which should have taught me that particular lesson, wouldn't you think?! :ROFL: )

How about the rest of you attending? Are you gearing up?
I'll be getting my promo materials this week and just plan on leaving some bookmarks and trading cards scattered hither, thither, and yon. Lately, it seems that I hear about registration being open the day after Promo Alley sells out.
Should we try to do an AW get together? (I still have AW ribbons somewhere)
:hooray:

Because you can never have enough smilies in a reply.

Last edited:

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about registering since I live only 25 minutes away, but I'm worried I won't get much value out of it since I really can't pitch anything. Has anyone found the convention useful before even finishing a MS?

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Even if you don't have anything read to pitch to editors or agents, you'll find something to enjoy if you can go. The panels are interesting and informative (I've gotten a lot of information from the ones I've been to and have been able to apply much of it to my own work), you'll meet many, many great people, and because books. I'm nowhere near as prepared to do any heavy duty promo work this year as I have been in the past, but I'm ready to do what I can. I'm also psyched because I need the vacation.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I was thinking about registering since I live only 25 minutes away, but I'm worried I won't get much value out of it since I really can't pitch anything. Has anyone found the convention useful before even finishing a MS?

Oh, definitely go if you're that close! I went twice without anything to pitch and had a great time attending workshops, getting books, and meeting people :waves hi to Ben:. If it's your first time, I recommend focusing on FUN, not work, to avoid being too overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.