Question about Hauge's Mask and Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailcoat

Hugger of Kittens
Registered
Reaction score
I've read blog posts on how Michael Hauge's concepts of characters having an Identity/Mask can be used in romance, but I'm not sure of some things. Basically, a character has a past wound that gave them a logical but false belief and a fear. To avoid that fear, the character builds up a mask (Identity) as protection. The character arc involves dropping that mask revealing the Essence. To make a couple seem compatible, I read that the characters should see beyond the mask to the Essence. I've also read that their Identities should clash, but the Essences work together.

I'm still wondering, what makes each character's Essence the right one for each other? Is it that both are similar, ex. one is a loner, the other sleeps around a lot, but it turns out they both have the same Essence of wanting intimacy? Or does the Essence of each fulfill what the other character Needs?

Do you think a person's Identity and Essence have to be opposites?

Do the couple's masks have to be opposites or is that too obvious?

Can one lover have a mask, while the other doesn't?

Is there any way to take those fears and masks and extrapolate an suitable external plot that doesn't take away from the relationship?

What if a character has a mask of pretending to be confident when he's actually insecure and afraid of abandonment? Is his Essence being insecure, or whatever he'd be if he wasn't insecure?

Does the mask have to look strong and be the way the character wants to be perceived (ex. I'm big and tough and don't need anyonehe so don't mess with me), or can it be a weakness, such as a character who really wants to go out and seize the day, but is so terrified of making mistakes that he hides himself and acts like a coward?

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Good points and an interesting type of character definition. To be honest, I just come up with a few basic parameters and start writing. The characters themselves will let me know how they think and react. For me, any deeper analysis runs a good chance of actually bogging down the writing.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I've played with Hauge's Mask/Identity for my characters in a couple of novels. In once case it did reveal I hadn't grounded my character's "fear" properly (or rather, what was at stake didn't rise to a high enough problem to carry the plot). So it definitely worked to help me develop a better external plot, but I don't think I'd use it to develop characters from scratch.

In my current WIP my characters both show a similar external mask--they are not a case of opposites attracting. I think you can go any way you want with this (similar or different). I've read and enjoyed many books with both. The key is to develop fully rounded characters. Hauge's system is helpful for some of that grounding.

As for the last question, whether you want a character to wear a mask of weakness, that's totally up to you. But you have to be careful not to lose your reader in the moments the MC becomes "strong." (ie suspension of disbelief or the reader getting angry at your character.) I'll give you an example: My dad was a big guy, fit and athletic. Very much a leader. He tried always to wear the calm facade because he knew he had a terrible temper. Not a violent temper--he never laid a hand on anyone--but because he was a big guy, and he'd get all red and he'd bark and tell people in no uncertain terms what he thought in those moments, he could be scary. So he tried really hard to go through life calm, but he could never look "weak," just because of the inherent way he carried himself.

That's different from a character who is naturally reticent who finds the ability deep inside to do something powerful. Stories are full of that and it works well if the character is fully rounded.

You want to make sure your character doesn't come off looking inauthentic. That's where Hauge ends and you, the writer, take over. Hauge will give you sort of a paper doll, but you still have to put the flesh on.

Tailcoat

Hugger of Kittens
Registered
Reaction score
So it definitely worked to help me develop a better external plot, but I don't think I'd use it to develop characters from scratch.

I'm not working on them from scratch either, but I'm not experienced with novels and I have lots of fuzzy ideas dancing around what it's about and what the characters are like that I can't seem to narrow down properly. Sometimes I've pictured my shy character going out there comically mouthing off and doing wacky things (which sounds fun to write) and other times I picture the character as equally passionately curious, but was so terrified of the world, maybe due to an anxiety disorder or some escapist wish, that he hid himself for a very long time and is now trying to come back and make up for what he missed out on by hiding-- that's good for drama, and meaningful for me, but I still want to add fun bits of comedy. I don't know how silly or serious to go, because I like both. I doubt that he'd want to be seen as a coward, but I'm not sure what other kind of mask would get in the way of progress. He's not the "I don't need anyone" type-- in fact he believes that he's nothing without support.

I'm not sure I can let the characters guide me yet. I can't pants a whole novel again, which I did once and realized I barely had any plot or structure and by that time I just couldn't touch the thing anymore.

The worst part is having the inner arcs, but unsure what to do with the outer one since it's not like there's any big fantasy adventure or crime solving going on. I wanted to use a relatable world and none of my characters are police detective types. The ending is about accepting the imperfect present or one's self and the story has to do with trying to find a place in the world, but I don't know how to make that exciting or fun to write about.

I've considered that they search for a century-old notebook with world changing secrets, but I have no idea how to make that interesting without involving, I don't know, gang kidnappings or something, which makes me image having to sit down and pour over research on how organized crime works, which sounds more stressful than interesting. If my main character has to learn to face fears, does my entire plot have to center around something like public speaking? That sounds dull. Overcoming an anxiety disorder? That sounds okay for maybe a few scenes, but dull to center a novel around.

I like the idea of a love triangle (either two of the characters are in a relationship negatively affected by a fear of intimacy, then the third inadvertently complicates things or one character meets the other two later and starts falling for both in different ways) in which two of the characters need to or should reconcile, but is that enough of an external arc? I'm not at the experience level where I can say "damn the 'rules,' I'll do what I want," and I desperately want to write this particular story.

Anyone else have luck extrapolating a proper external arc?

Last edited:

KristiJ

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristimjones.com
Hi Tailcoat,
I've used Hauge's ideas to help me get a better grip on my characters, but it never helps me make decisions. Bear with me, as I haven't had my coffee yet! lol. It sounds like you have a lot of ideas rolling around, like we all do. For me, trying to make those kinds of decisions in my head just doesn't work. I find myself going around and around in circles, overwhelmed with all the possibilities. So what I've started doing is choosing the one that appeals to me most and freewriting my way through the story as IF I was going to use that particular character trait, setting, general plot outline, etc. I just let myself write it out and make one decision after the other. I'll keep the other ideas in a file so that I can use them for a different story later. But I make a decision about that character or plotline and just go with it. Once you make one little decision, the others start to come easier.
If you decide to make your main character's internal issue overcoming fear, you will undoubtedly come up with more ideas once you make that decision. You'll have tons of ideas and you won't be stuck with anything dull.
It took me forever to realize how helpful it is to make decisions. Keeping the whole field open for any eventuality for your story/characters will just make you crazy! If you freewrite one way and decide that's not the direction you want to go, then choose another option and freewrite that. I'll use notecards to map out a story idea, making decisions along the way, before I ever write a scene.
I always end up with more than one plotline, so the big decision then is choosing which one to write first!
I recently had two stories that were very similar because I was having trouble choosing a time period and ended up with two different, but similar arcs for two different time periods. I ran with one and now know how I can make the other one into its own story.
I hope this helps! Making decisions changed the way I write and has made me feel much more directed in what I'm doing!
Kristi

Tailcoat

Hugger of Kittens
Registered
Reaction score
Making decisions seems to be the hardest part. I don't want to get rid of everything that inspired me, but I don't want to stop evolution. It's hard to let go, though it's easier when you improve and replace bits and pieces over time. Letting the changes sit in my head seems to be the best way I've been able to accept with them.

I've got one internal arc I really like which is the "standard" way I've seen the story for a long time, but can't come up with a substantial external plot to hang it on that I like. That's what's stopped me from writing it out too much. Maybe the backdrop is a failing business, but what sort exactly? Nothing I thought of seemed particularly exciting.

The other I really like has a very exciting external plot involving accidentally messing up the past and thus high stakes, but if I try to put that emotional arc of dealing with envy and jealousy into a story, it seems so petty to fuss over love and confidence when other peoples' fates hang in the balance. If I can pull it off, that'll be the way to go, even though it's very different from how I originally saw the story.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I hadn't seen these terms before, but I definitely see them in action, especially in NA romance.

In NA, this structure is ubiquitous. The damaged hero who acts like a tough guy (MMA for everyone!) but only because of past abuse. And he's actually totally sweet and is often secretly taking care of his little sister/damaged best friend/elderly neighbour.

I was going to say that I don't see the framework so much in NA heroines, but I'm not sure that's true. It's pretty common to see the serious good-girl who only reveals her inner sex-goddess once she's properly bonded to the hero. And slightly less annoyingly, there are some heroines who mimic the hero framework, with tough/promiscuous/rebellious exteriors created because of past abuse, covering their sweet and tender interiors.

It fits in pretty well with my own pet theory for understanding romance. For a romance to be compelling, according to me, the couple have to be perfect for each other, but they ALSO have to be kept apart from each other for most of the book. So the challenge of writing romance is finding the compelling reason for those characters to be kept apart even though they're perfect together.

It can be external factors, for sure - wrong family/social class, someone threatening their lives, etc. - obvious variations according to sub-genre. But if the author wants to focus more on internal obstacles, the mask structure is pretty much necessary - the mask to keep the characters apart, the inner essence to pull them together.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I think all of that is over-thinking.

No, I tell a lie. That is totally over-thinking.

The idea is to come up with interesting, likable protagonists who, despite conflicts, cannot help falling in love. To tap into those the writer needs to recall what it's like to fall in love and be in love. A romance is about feelings, not analysis.

If the protags (and the writer) are focused on navel-gazing, they can't notice others, much less be open to falling in love.

Protags don't have to be so complex and twisted that they meet themselves coming around corners. Too much of that and they're self-involved bores. No one wants to fall in love with a self-involved bore unless the bore has tons of money. (Hello, 50 Shades of Crap...?)

Just write the kind of love story you very much want to read but can't find. Write to please yourself. If others agree with you, huzzah!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.