Multiple Offers and Completely Torn

moonwatch178

The Angels Have The Phone Box
Registered
Reaction score
Chiming in here:

This is a business relationship, true, but what's important is what you determine you need from a business relationship. (want and need being different measurements)

Do you need your agent to click with you on an emotional as well as a business level?

Do you need a seasoned agent who will guide you through the process with efficiency or do you need someone newer who will guide you, but grow with you?

Do you need an editorial agent?

And so on. Figure out what you need and your decision will follow. Who knows, maybe both Agents can give you what you need. In that case, go with your gut.

Last edited:

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, congrats!

I was recently in a somewhat similar situation where I received multiple offers. The first offer made me a bit wary, while the second got me all excited. So I went with my gut. I've just signed, so I can't tell you how it works out yet. But like some others have said, I would go with your gut about who can represent & sell your book best, not who can be your best friend (though of course that's a bonus)!

Again, congrats, and I hope whatever decision you make, it works out well!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the offers! I had four offers and felt very overwhelmed. I actually clicked with ALL of the agents that offered, but knew right away two weren't exactly right, which left me with the other two. I was very torn and spoke to a lot of people about the pros and cons about going with both.

If you'd like someone else to talk to (besides the very smart/awesome Toothpaste), please feel free to PM. I know how overwhelming it can get.

I had a choice between a new agent (w/no sales or clients; I was their first offer) at one of the top YA agencies in the world or an older agent (w/sales) at a more established agency that wasn't focused 100% on kidlit. I went with the older agent but the newer/other agent now has clients and we're still friendly. I will always wish the best for them. :) But my agent just got my book in a way the others didn't, got what I was trying to say, and saw how much revision my book really needed (which, uh, was a lot and I totally agreed :tongue).

I really think it is a tough decision but know that it is NOT a permanent one. People change agents more than you think and if it doesn't work out…there is no shame in leaving your agent or getting a new one.

Good luck!

BlankPage

Registered
Reaction score
You're looking for a business partner, not a friend. Unless there's something turning you off of agent #2 (an anti-click?) I'd lean towards the one with more experience in the business. A buddy-buddy kind of relationship would be great, all else being equal, but I'd want to be able to have as much confidence as possible in the person repping my work.

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
Thanks everyone! Based on all this feedback, additional calls with the agents, and lots of thinking, I think I know who I'm going to pick. Will update in a few!

Mayfield

sleeping the sleep of the sleepless
Registered
Reaction score
Have you been able to talk candidly with any of their clients? That will let you know about working style, expectations, how revisions are handled, etc.

Good luck!

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
I'm another who was in a fairly similar situation when I got multiple offers of representation. My gut feeling mattered a great deal, as did each agent's track record and other clients. But I still found it very hard to choose between them.

What swung it for me was how much one agent - who was also the more enthusiastic one from the start - was stressing that she was thinking in the longer term, about developing a full career.

But it's true that if you end up having regrets, this is probably a decision you can undo. If the agent you don't opt for thinks you have something they can sell, they'll still be interested later.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing to add to all the excellent advice above, but wanted to say congratulations! :D

BethKLewis

not sure...
Registered
Reaction score
I was in this exact position. I had 5 offers of rep in total. I narrowed it down to two agents. Agent 1 was the young gun, experience in a bit agency, went solo, huge deals under her belt, clients who loved her and raved etc. Agent 2 had 20 yrs experience in a super-established agency, amazing authors, great track record etc. Both were very enthusiastic about my work but I went with Agent 2. I wanted the experience, the guiding hand, and he really understood what I was going for in the MS, where Agent 1 wanted to more substantially change it and didn't get the core theme.

You've got to go with your gut. Writing is business but it's also passion and you have to find the right balance.

Looking forward to seeing who you choose and massive congratulations!