What are you reading?

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Pride and Prejudice for a course I'm taking on Austen. I never liked this one. I can appreciate it from a historical and scholarly standpoint, but as a novel it's always struck me as pretty dull.

MikeCheck

Registered
Reaction score
Watership Down... I don't know how I escaped it in high school, but I keep hearing about it as one of those books you just "have to read." Been on my to-read list for a while, and I finally started it last week!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan - by Herbert P. Bix.

I love me some good non-fiction, and my knowledge of the Pacific Theater is in need of a good brush up.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Robin Sloan), which I am enjoying a lot.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Just put down Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey. I'm now reading Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff.

When I read, I go back and forth between fiction and nonfiction.

Reaction score
Just put down Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey. I'm now reading Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff.

When I read, I go back and forth between fiction and nonfiction.

I usually try and read one fiction and one nonfiction at the same time, just juggling between them. That sounds like a better idea though.

Just finished Cory Doctorow's Little Brother, and I'm about to start on another book from the Writing Excuses podcast team: I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
A Choir of Ill Children...I love Piccirilli, the story is great, but it is fairly clear he knows little about waterfowl....mallards dipping for fish, loons wandering around dry land, etc....

IrishRover

uʍop ǝpısdn sı ǝɟ&#3
Registered
Reaction score
The Prestige - Christopher Priest. Finding this hard to put down.

Stasiland - Anna Funder. Stories from behind the Berlin wall.

Life of Pi - Yann Martel. Second reading.

Steve Jobs - Biography.

I like to have a fiction/Non Fiction book on the go. The prestige and Life of Pi are for my book club. I can jump between books depending on mood.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I got to sit through a 4 hour bus ride surrounded by sleepy coworkers this morning. Gave me time to read the first 106 pages of Wittgenstein's Mistress by David Markson.

Unlike anything I've ever read. Strangely compelling, I am unable to put it down.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
The Family Fang - Kevin Wilson.
Which isn't bad, and it's funny--in a rather tragic way--but I really cannot connect to the characters.

Saavedra

a mean mother hubbard.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rubiemagazine.com
I just started on Thomas Pynchon's Mason & Dixon, and already, thirty pages in, there's a talking dog -- in a book whose prose style and presentation is lifted straight from the eighteenth century.

Surely this is a sign of great fun to be had.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Pride and Prejudice last night. Pretty dull stuff. It's too bad, too, because I'm taking a course on Austen this semester, which means reading two more of her novels, which, from my understanding are not much different from P&P.

Anyways, I started reading Lolita today. Already, I'm a bit nauseated by the main character, but Nabakov's writing style is much to my liking.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Real World by Natsuo Kirino. Very, very disturbing. But a unique cultural perspective both on teenagers in general and teenagers in Japan specifically.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
I tried to read Robert Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, but I couldn't finish it. It's a DNF at 70 or so pages. I give up on books far sooner than I used to.

But, I switched from it to Dan Simmons' The Fall of Hyperion (local library doesn't have Hyperion, and though it'd normally bug the crap out of me to jump straight into the sequel without reading the first, it isn't hindering me this time) and dang is it good. I honestly wasn't even planning on really reading it, maybe just skimming it because one of my current WIPs uses something similar to farcasters, but it's really good. Lots of stuff going on and interesting characters and worlds, too. I'm already about 160 pages in and no signs of slowing down yet.